Spaghetti with Tuna and Anchovies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dudley Dooley, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Here is a delicious recipe you may want to try!

    We tested this recipe with a very fine canned tomato called Vaegri --
    indeed, the best we ever tasted beside our own homemade. We buy it at
    Tino’s Deli in the Bronx. We prefer fresh or salted anchovies over
    tinned, filleted and washed. It’s easier to fillet the anchovies
    before soaking.

    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    4 salted anchovies, filleted, soaked for a few minutes, and chopped,
    or 8 oil-packed anchovies, rinsed and chopped
    1 can (6 ounces) Italian tuna fish packed in oil, drained
    1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    Hot pepper flakes
    1-1/2 cups chopped fresh ripe tomatoes or whole canned Italian
    tomatoes
    Salt
    3/4 pound spaghetti

    Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion,
    garlic, and anchovies. Cover and simmer until the garlic begins to
    take on color, about 3 minutes. Add the tuna fish, parsley, and hot
    pepper flakes to taste. Cook for several minutes, breaking up the tuna
    with a wooden spoon. Add the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 20 to 30
    minutes, until the sauce is the consistency of a marinara (all the
    tomato should be cooked down). If the sauce is dry, add a little water
    to loosen it up. Add salt to taste.

    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and add the
    spaghetti. Cook until it is al dente. Drain and add to the sauce. Toss
    well and serve.

    Tags:

  2. Dudley Dooley wrote:

    Another good variation on this theme is to use only anchovies or only
    tuna and leave out the tomatoes (particularly out of season) and add
    some capers.

    D.M,