Spaghetti with Tuna and Anchovies

Dudley Dooley

Guest
Here is a delicious recipe you may want to try!

We tested this recipe with a very fine canned tomato called Vaegri --
indeed, the best we ever tasted beside our own homemade. We buy it at
Tino’s Deli in the Bronx. We prefer fresh or salted anchovies over
tinned, filleted and washed. It’s easier to fillet the anchovies
before soaking.

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 salted anchovies, filleted, soaked for a few minutes, and chopped,
or 8 oil-packed anchovies, rinsed and chopped
1 can (6 ounces) Italian tuna fish packed in oil, drained
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Hot pepper flakes
1-1/2 cups chopped fresh ripe tomatoes or whole canned Italian
tomatoes
Salt
3/4 pound spaghetti

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion,
garlic, and anchovies. Cover and simmer until the garlic begins to
take on color, about 3 minutes. Add the tuna fish, parsley, and hot
pepper flakes to taste. Cook for several minutes, breaking up the tuna
with a wooden spoon. Add the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 20 to 30
minutes, until the sauce is the consistency of a marinara (all the
tomato should be cooked down). If the sauce is dry, add a little water
to loosen it up. Add salt to taste.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and add the
spaghetti. Cook until it is al dente. Drain and add to the sauce. Toss
well and serve.

Dudley Dooley wrote:

Another good variation on this theme is to use only anchovies or only
tuna and leave out the tomatoes (particularly out of season) and add
some capers.

D.M,