Spalding Gray is dead

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Modom, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Modom

    Modom Guest

    His body was found in the East River off Greenpoint Sunday.
    Dental records confirmed the identity according to WNBC.com.
    He reportedly was battling depression ever since he was
    badly injured in a car crash in Ireland two years ago.

    Guess he didn't make it to Cambodia.

    I'm going to the liquor store.

    modom

    Tags:

  2. Reg

    Reg Guest

    modom wrote:

    > His body was found in the East River off Greenpoint
    > Sunday. Dental records confirmed the identity according
    > to WNBC.com. He reportedly was battling depression ever
    > since he was badly injured in a car crash in Ireland two
    > years ago.
    >
    > Guess he didn't make it to Cambodia.
    >
    > I'm going to the liquor store.

    I find it interesting that these announements end up in
    cooking groups. I never see this in any other type of forum
    or newsgroup, only ones that involve food.

    Maybe it's some kind of Freudian food/thanatos thing. Weird.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)
    com

  3. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

  4. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    modom <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > His body was found in the East River off Greenpoint
    > Sunday. Dental records confirmed the identity according
    > to WNBC.com. He reportedly was battling depression ever
    > since he was badly injured in a car crash in Ireland two
    > years ago.
    >
    > Guess he didn't make it to Cambodia.
    >
    > I'm going to the liquor store.

    also < http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/09/arts/09GRAY.html?-
    ex=1079413200&en=9da7fe5385030286&ei=5062&part-
    ner=GOOGLE

    The Ranger

  5. On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Reg wrote:

    > modom wrote:
    >
    > > His body was found in the East River off Greenpoint
    > > Sunday. Dental records confirmed the identity according
    > > to WNBC.com. He reportedly was battling depression ever
    > > since he was badly injured in a car crash in Ireland two
    > > years ago.
    > >
    > > Guess he didn't make it to Cambodia.
    > >
    > > I'm going to the liquor store.
    >
    > I find it interesting that these announements end up in
    > cooking groups. I never see this in any other type of
    > forum or newsgroup, only ones that involve food.
    >
    > Maybe it's some kind of Freudian food/thanatos
    > thing. Weird.

    These announcements turn up in other newsgroups as well. If
    you hang out in newsgroups relating to science, math or
    computer programming you will see announcements of people
    who greatly affected the field passing away.

    It might be worth noting though that Spalding Gray is not
    know for cooking (as far as I know) but he ends up in this
    newsgroup. I would expect to see announcements of Julia
    Childs, Graham Kerr, etc. appearing here.

    --
    Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
    e-mail to [email protected]

  6. "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > modom wrote: snip I find it interesting that these
    > announements end up in cooking groups. I never see this in
    > any other type of forum or newsgroup, only ones that
    > involve food.
    >
    > Maybe it's some kind of Freudian food/thanatos
    > thing. Weird.

    We had this discussion about a year ago comparing RFC to the
    kitchen. The kitchen is the heart of the home, where meals
    are made as are plans for the future, looking to the past.
    We all come in, pull up a chair and have a cuppa cawfee (or
    tea). A lot of times we talk about food, but sometimes, well
    sometimes, you just go into the kitchen to be with friends,
    whether or not you want to talk food or not.

    When we buried my niece two weeks ago, those who wanted to
    be seen, and to see who was there, were out in the
    fellowship hall. Those of us who wanted to mourn, well, we
    were in the kitchen, making coffee, wiping dishes, and
    talking, talking about the good times, the bad times and
    times in between.

    If Mike wants to let off steam regarding Spalding Gray,
    I say let him. He is entitled, we're all family of a
    sorts here.

    -Ginny

    > --
    > Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service)
    > (dot) com

  7. Lallin

    Lallin Guest

    On 8-Mar-2004, John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > modom wrote:
    > > I'm going to the liquor store.
    >
    > Been there, done that. Drinking it now :)

    Who the heck is Spalding Gray? Seriously, I never heard
    of the guy.

    x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com x--
    3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups x--
    Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month x--
    UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

  8. The Wolf

    The Wolf Guest

    On 03/08/2004 8:56 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Wayne Boatwright"
    <[email protected]> opined:

    > modom <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected] 4ax.com:
    >
    >> Spalding Gray is dead
    >
    > So are a lot of othe people.

    Who is Spalding Gray? Must be some fag because he is front
    page news at the NY Times.
    I'd rather have a German division ahead of me then a French
    division behind me," Gen. George S. Patton

  9. Jacqui{Jb}

    Jacqui{Jb} Guest

    "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I find it interesting that these announements end up in
    > cooking groups. I never see this in any other type of
    > forum or newsgroup, only ones that involve food.
    >
    > Maybe it's some kind of Freudian food/ thanatos
    > thing. Weird.

    I don't think that's so. Many newsgroups, bulletin boards,
    lists -- most of the groups I read and participate in -- are
    individual communities, each with their own flavor, local
    color, customs, expectations, regulars, etc., rather than
    just on-topic dicussion forums. It's this kind of community
    that literally saved a regular's life last year in the BBQ
    newsgroup, and has enabled at least three marriages that I'm
    aware of in another group (*not* a personals group). People
    *meet* in these places, get to know one another, and come
    and go. It's a lot like life (with the added advantage of
    killfiles, if there are folks whose posts raise your blood
    pressure) -- shared joy is doubled, shared sorrow halved and
    all that (with many thanks to Spider Robinson and his
    Callahans Saloon).

    -j

  10. Reg

    Reg Guest

    jacqui{JB} wrote:

    > I don't think that's so. Many newsgroups, bulletin boards,
    > lists -- most of the groups I read and participate in --
    > are individual communities, each with their own flavor,
    > local color, customs, expectations, regulars, etc., rather
    > than just on-topic dicussion forums.

    Right. The traffic in different kinds of groups varies,
    and my point was that food groups carry a
    disproportionate amount of celebrity death notices. I
    have no idea why this is.

    > It's this kind of community that literally saved a
    > regular's life last year in the BBQ newsgroup,

    This completely supports my point. Talk about thanatos...

    --

  11. On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 04:24:33 GMT, "LAllin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 8-Mar-2004, John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> modom wrote:
    >> > I'm going to the liquor store.
    >>
    >> Been there, done that. Drinking it now :)
    >
    >Who the heck is Spalding Gray? Seriously, I never heard
    >of the guy.

    I think that's really really sad. He was an
    actor/performance artist who wrote and spoke about his
    personal problems in a way that touched many people. Some
    people felt he was whiny and self-absorbed, but I think, for
    the most part, most of the people who saw him perform his
    pieces were changed by them.

    You can rent Swimming to Cambodia, which is his award-
    winning piece, and isn't completely about himself.

    He has also been in many many films. You can see his
    filmography here: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0336960/

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to

  12. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    The Wolf wrote:
    > On 03/08/2004 8:56 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "Wayne
    > Boatwright" <[email protected]> opined:
    >

    >>modom <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>news:[email protected] 4ax.com:
    >>

    >>>Spalding Gray is dead
    >>
    >>So are a lot of othe people.
    >

    > Who is Spalding Gray? Must be some fag because he is front
    > page news at the NY Times.

    I said the same thing until they flashed his pic. on the
    news and I said , "oh, I've seen that guy." He's one of
    those people that I'm sure you've seen on the screen but
    never knew the name. I can't tell you off hand anything that
    he's been in though.

    --
    Steve

  13. LAllin wrote:

    > Who the heck is Spalding Gray? Seriously, I never heard of
    > the guy.

    A writer and performer best known for his monologues in
    which he talks about his life. I saw him live twice. His wry
    sense of humor and offbeat observations made him popular
    with a loyal following and practically unknown to others. He
    wasn't a huge star, but those who loved him loved him well.

    --Lia

  14. Jacqui{Jb}

    Jacqui{Jb} Guest

    "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Right. The traffic in different kinds of groups varies,
    > and my point was that food groups carry a
    > disproportionate amount of celebrity death notices. I
    > have no idea why this is.

    My point -- and my experience -- is that it's not *just* the
    food groups.

    -j

  15. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], Steve Calvin at
    [email protected] wrote on 3/9/04 7:05 AM:

    > He's one of those people that I'm sure you've seen on
    > the screen but never knew the name. I can't tell you off
    > hand anything that he's been in though.

    He was in "Beaches", as Barbara Hershey's character's OB/GYN
    who dated Bette Midler's character.

    I actually saw him perform on the stage in 1989 in "Our
    Town"....a wonderful actor but tormented soul, apparently.

  16. The Wolf

    The Wolf Guest

    On 03/09/2004 4:05 AM, in article
    [email protected], "Steve Calvin"
    <[email protected]> opined:

    > The Wolf wrote:
    >> On 03/08/2004 8:56 PM, in article
    >> [email protected], "Wayne
    >> Boatwright" <[email protected]>
    >> opined:
    >>

    >>> modom <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>> news:[email protected] 4ax.com:

    >>> So are a lot of othe people.
    >>

    >> Who is Spalding Gray? Must be some fag because he is
    >> front page news at the NY Times.
    >
    > I said the same thing until they flashed his pic. on the
    > news and I said , "oh, I've seen that guy." He's one of
    > those people that I'm sure you've seen on the screen but
    > never knew the name. I can't tell you off hand anything
    > that he's been in though.

    At first glance I thought he was the "Alf" guy.

    "New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms
    of sin." -- Mark Twain, 1884

  17. Royal

    Royal Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:14:44 -0600, modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    >His body was found in the East River off Greenpoint
    >Sunday. Dental records confirmed the identity according
    >to WNBC.com. He reportedly was battling depression ever
    >since he was badly injured in a car crash in Ireland two
    >years ago.
    >
    >Guess he didn't make it to Cambodia.
    >
    >I'm going to the liquor store.

    Never heard of him. But, what the hell, I'm going to the
    liquor store, too.

  18. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
    > "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> modom wrote: snip I find it interesting that these
    >> announements end up in cooking groups. I never see this
    >> in any other type of forum or newsgroup, only ones that
    >> involve food.
    >>
    >> Maybe it's some kind of Freudian food/thanatos
    >> thing. Weird.
    >>
    > We had this discussion about a year ago comparing RFC to
    > the kitchen. The kitchen is the heart of the home, where
    > meals are made as are plans for the future, looking to
    > the past. We all come in, pull up a chair and have a
    > cuppa cawfee (or tea). A lot of times we talk about food,
    > but sometimes, well sometimes, you just go into the
    > kitchen to be with friends, whether or not you want to
    > talk food or not.
    >
    > When we buried my niece two weeks ago, those who wanted to
    > be seen, and to see who was there, were out in the
    > fellowship hall. Those of us who wanted to mourn, well, we
    > were in the kitchen, making coffee, wiping dishes, and
    > talking, talking about the good times, the bad times and
    > times in between.
    >
    > If Mike wants to let off steam regarding Spalding Gray,
    > I say let him. He is entitled, we're all family of a
    > sorts here.
    >
    > -Ginny

    You said a mouthful, Ginny! And yes, it's a big kitchen. We
    can discuss, bicker, disagree and still come up with some
    wonderful recipes and cooking information. I, for one, find
    life completely boring if I just talk about cooking all the
    time. There IS more to it than just that.

    Jill

  19. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" wrote:
    > A writer and performer best known for his monologues in
    > which he talks about his life. I saw him live twice. His
    > wry sense of humor and offbeat observations made him
    > popular with a loyal following and practically unknown to
    > others. He wasn't a huge star, but those who loved him
    > loved him well.

    I saw him in live performances as well, and found him
    increasingly tedious as time went on. In the mid '80s, I was
    convinced he was brilliant. Fair warning: I thought a lot of
    things were brilliant in the '80s. By the time I saw him
    last in the late '90s, I was certain that he needed either
    to grow up or get his meds adjusted or both -- "Felix Unger"
    couldn't hold a whine this long.

    His death is no surprise. He couldn't see very far beyond
    the end of his nose, which is typical for the suicidal.