spare 30 K ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rickster, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997 Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in
    Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8 speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic
    Carbones. It is definately used.

    It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

    Tags:

  2. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    30k is more than alittle steep....I guess it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for
    it....I think they might be waiting alittle while before they get anything like that for it.

    cheers

    John

    rickster wrote:

    > If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997 Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in
    > Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8 speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic
    > Carbones. It is definately used.
    >
    > It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

  3. Sm

    Sm Guest

    Did I miss somewhere that SO won the TdF 9 times, all the classics and also an NBA championship? I
    am a SO fan... but $30k! You have to be kiddin!

    "John Staines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 30k is more than alittle steep....I guess it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for
    > it....I think they might be waiting alittle while before they get anything like that for it.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > John
    >

    > rickster wrote:
    > >
    > > If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997 Tdf bike, from Trak cycles
    > > in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8 speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early
    > > Csomic Carbones. It is definately used.
    > >
    > > It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

  4. RideToEat

    RideToEat New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2003
    Maybe you could haggle them down to $29500?

  5. On 10 Aug 2003 18:25:27 -0700, [email protected] (rickster) wrote:

    >If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997 Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in
    >Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8 speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic
    >Carbones. It is definately used.
    >
    >It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

    Bit steep.

    One of the guys I ride round with has a Trek 5500 that cost him less than $3,000. It's a genuine
    team model with the Shimano team issue (big, fat logos) Dura-Ace groupset. About 2001 model. Issued
    to one of the Australian US Postal team members.

    You mentioned that 'It is definitely used'. I tried out one of those a couple of years ago. A
    Scapin Pro-Team belonging to a former world champ. He'd done about 25,000km to 35,000km in the year
    since he'd got
    it. The Dura-Ace bottom bracket was stuffed. It was like the bearing was filled with pebbles.

    Macca was selling his Linda McCartney team Pinarello? a couple of years ago for about $5,000. This
    could be described as "almost brand new".

    Some of these are bargains.

    Depends on what you want the bike for. If you want to ride it, you can get some great bikes for very
    low prices. If you want to buy a collectible, that's up to you :)

    Regards, Richard.

  6. Maybe the 30k is on it, so that no-one WILL buy it... might scare the hell out of them if someone
    DID offer 30k!!!

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997 Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in
    > Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8 speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic
    > Carbones. It is definately used.
    >
    > It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

  7. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Maybe the 30k is on it, so that no-one WILL buy it... might scare the
    hell
    > out of them if someone DID offer 30k!!!

    Yeah, probably there in the store for curio value. Has the $30K sticker on it in case it
    gets stolen...

  8. D. Advocate

    D. Advocate Guest

    [email protected] (rickster) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997 Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in
    > Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8 speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic
    > Carbones. It is definately used.
    >
    > It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

    Gee, and to think I could have bought Zenon Jaskula's 1993 bike (the year he came 3rd in the TDF)
    for $3000.

  9. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    For $30K, I'd want SO'G as well! But can he cook,clean and garden so me and the missus can have a break? I think I'll keep the $30K in my hot little hand!:D