Spare a Left-side UN-53 cup? (68mm)

Donald Gillies

Guest
So through no fault of my own, I have come into a wealth of UN-53
bottom brackets, most of which have buggered left-side plastic
retaining cups. Is there a source for these cups if you have trashed
yours? Thanx,

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> So through no fault of my own, I have come into a wealth of UN-53
> bottom brackets, most of which have buggered left-side plastic
> retaining cups. Is there a source for these cups if you have trashed
> yours? Thanx,
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Quality sells these...pretty sure, aluminum ones. . Does yer LBS deal
with them?

>>So through no fault of my own, I have come into a wealth of UN-53
>>bottom brackets, most of which have buggered left-side plastic
>>retaining cups. Is there a source for these cups if you have trashed
>>yours? Thanx,

Looking at aebike.com, they have via QBP plastic un52 ones, and metal
un40 ones. ~$8 each--Yoikes!

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Donald Gillies wrote:
> So through no fault of my own, I have come into a wealth of UN-53
> bottom brackets, most of which have buggered left-side plastic
> retaining cups. Is there a source for these cups if you have trashed
> yours? Thanx,
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Next time you buy, you should try the Tange BB's A Muzi sells. I've had
nothing but good luck. Square Taper, both cups are metal and they use
cartridge bearings.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/TANGEBB.JPG

But it sounds like you already have too many UN53's

-Nate

Llatikcuf wrote:
> Donald Gillies wrote:
>
>>So through no fault of my own, I have come into a wealth of UN-53
>>bottom brackets, most of which have buggered left-side plastic
>>retaining cups. Is there a source for these cups if you have trashed
>>yours? Thanx,
>>
>>- Don Gillies
>>San Diego, CA

> Next time you buy, you should try the Tange BB's A Muzi sells. I've had
> nothing but good luck. Square Taper, both cups are metal and they use
> cartridge bearings.
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/TANGEBB.JPG

I've got the IRD version in my Double Cross.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

"Llatikcuf" <[email protected]> writes:

>Next time you buy, you should try the Tange BB's A Muzi sells. I've had
>nothing but good luck. Square Taper, both cups are metal and they use
>cartridge bearings.

>http://www.yellowjersey.org/TANGEBB.JPG

The bottom brackets (4 of them) came in the bottom of a grab-bag of
parts. I didn't even know i was getting bottom brackets with this
purchase. Luckily, the price amortizes out to less than $2/bb.

- Don Gillies
San Deigo, CA

"Llatikcuf" <[email protected]> writes:

>Next time you buy, you should try the Tange BB's A Muzi sells. I've had
>nothing but good luck. Square Taper, both cups are metal and they use
>cartridge bearings.

This generation of UN-73 and UN-53 ARE made by Tange. Shimano resells
the lower grade made with plastic cups, Tange also makes the higher
grade with aluminum cups, and i bought one of those last week, to.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> "Llatikcuf" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >Next time you buy, you should try the Tange BB's A Muzi sells. I've had
> >nothing but good luck. Square Taper, both cups are metal and they use
> >cartridge bearings.

> This generation of UN-73 and UN-53 ARE made by Tange. Shimano resells
> the lower grade made with plastic cups, Tange also makes the higher
> grade with aluminum cups, and i bought one of those last week, to.

This is true, but these ones are a bit different design. Tange makes
the IRD BB also. Both use cartridge bearings instead of the loose ball.
There are two models made; one with steel cups and one with alum. Both
seem to be of high quality, I like the 2 I bought. Defiantly a good
alternative to a Shimano BB IMHO.

On 5 Feb 2006 02:16:51 -0800, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>So through no fault of my own, I have come into a wealth of UN-53
>bottom brackets, most of which have buggered left-side plastic
>retaining cups. Is there a source for these cups if you have trashed
>yours? Thanx,
>
>- Don Gillies
>San Diego, CA

I have heard all these adjusting cups made by the different
manufacturers are universal.

Is the outside diameter of the cartridge that the adjusting cup slides
over exactly the same diameter as the bearing? The bearing diameters
should be standard.

"anonymous" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have heard all these adjusting cups made by the different
> manufacturers are universal.
>
> Is the outside diameter of the cartridge that the adjusting cup slides
> over exactly the same diameter as the bearing? The bearing diameters
> should be standard.

They probably should be, but they're not. I know that the Shimano UN-72
cartridge is the same diameter as a Phil Wood, but it's a totally different
diameter than the cheap OEM (Power Pro?) BB that came in my GT.

"anonymous" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have heard all these adjusting cups made by the
> different manufacturers are universal.

> Is the outside diameter of the cartridge that the adjusting cup
> slides over exactly the same diameter as the bearing? The
> bearing diameters should be standard.

Very many of these cups are interchangeable, though I wouldn't like to say
all.

The Shimano UN72/92/7410 etc. don't use separate bearings, but the diameter
of the shell is 30.0mm, which is also the overall diameter of the common
6903 cartridge bearing. The 6903 has been used by TA, Royce, Phil, WTB,
Syncros, Real, Tioga, and many others.

James Thomson