Spare tire *and* wedge under seat?

- Bob -

Guest
My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
more securely.

I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
looking for other ideas.

Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

Unless you need the aesthetic of a displayed tubular, just get a bigger
wedge bag and stuff the folded tire in there.

I put the tubular in a plastic freezer bag before sticking it in the
wedge pack so the base tape doesn't get contaminated.

Marcus

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
- Bob - <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
> in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
> under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
> more securely.
>
> I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
> improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
> on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
> velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
> looking for other ideas.
>
> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

Perhaps you can find a (probably no longer in production) Cannondale tubular
tire bag. For me, it held two, and there were two side zippered pockets for
a small range of tools. Long ago, I know, but maybe someone who moved to
clinchers has one.

A nicely patterned sock, matching the frame color scheme, could also look
nifty. Laprade toe strap - Binda is just too high tech for that.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

> > Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

> Perhaps you can find a (probably no longer in production) Cannondale tubular
> tire bag. For me, it held two, and there were two side zippered pockets for
> a small range of tools. Long ago, I know, but maybe someone who moved to
> clinchers has one.
>
> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTBII

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Wayne <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>>> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

>> Perhaps you can find a (probably no longer in production) Cannondale
>> tubular tire bag. For me, it held two, and there were two side
>> zippered pockets for a small range of tools. Long ago, I know, but
>> maybe someone who moved to clinchers has one.
>>
>> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

> http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTBII

My, you're clever! Bravo.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

- Bob - wrote:
> My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
> in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
> under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
> more securely.
>
> I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
> improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
> on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
> velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
> looking for other ideas.
>
> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

Join the modern world and switch to clinchers.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:52:48 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

>Join the modern world and switch to clinchers.
>
>Greg

2.1 on the trollometer

Per - Bob -:
>My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
>in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
>under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
>more securely.
>
>I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
>improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
>on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
>velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
>looking for other ideas.
>
>Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

I carry spare tube(s), patch kit, pump, tire irons, multi-tool, and a shop rag
in a separate cylindrical bag that I put into a water bottle holder on the seat
tube - secured with a toe clip strap.

Used to keep them in a plastic water bottle that I had cut in half and kept
closed with a couple rubber bands. Then the bag came along. I'm still not
sure which I prefer - but both are more convenient to me than mixing the tire
repair stuff in with other things.
--
PeteCresswell

still me wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:52:48 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

>> Join the modern world and switch to clinchers.
>>
>> Greg

> 2.1 on the trollometer

Damn, I was shooting for 5.8 or better.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:47:53 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> 2.1 on the trollometer
>>

>Damn, I was shooting for 5.8 or better.
>
>Greg

You would have had to add a personal insult about retro-grouches, or
maybe even throw in something about how I should be sure to use
machine cut threads on any mounting screws.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:31:33 GMT, still me <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You would have had to add a personal insult about retro-grouches, or
>maybe even throw in something about how I should be sure to use
>machine cut threads on any mounting screws.

Who uses non-machine cut threads when mounting their clinchers?
Or even for mounting tubulars?

On Apr 14, 1:52 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> - Bob - wrote:
> > My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
> > in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
> > under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
> > more securely.

> > I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
> > improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
> > on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
> > velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
> > looking for other ideas.

> > Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

> Join the modern world and switch to clinchers.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Gee, only 7 posts before this BS...maybe he likes all the advantages
of tubulars and the teeny disadvantages aren't worth the $ to an
inferior tire system?

On Apr 14, 9:42 am, - Bob - <[email protected]> wrote:
> My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
> in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
> under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
> more securely.
>
> I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
> improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
> on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
> velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
> looking for other ideas.
>
> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

Jandd makes an unseat tubie bag that also has some room forother
stuff. I just fold up the tubie, after getting all the air out, making
it as flat as possible and fold it by turning the tread 90 degrees,
then folding, tough to describe. I carry no tools, never needing any
ever except for once, needing a screw driver as my cleat came
loose..used a dime.

On Apr 15, 8:10 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Apr 14, 9:42 am, - Bob - <[email protected]> wrote:

......I carry no tools, never needing any
> ever except for once, needing a screw driver as my cleat came
> loose..used a dime.

Do you normally ride in a group that other riders using tubulars?

On 15 Apr 2007 06:30:07 -0700, "Wayne" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ......I carry no tools, never needing any
>> ever except for once, needing a screw driver as my cleat came
>> loose..used a dime.

>Do you normally ride in a group that other riders using tubulars?

For me, I usually ride alone. Sometimes I run into other groups at
stop lights - I like to watch their reactions when they realize I have
tubulars :)

I carry the smallest victorianox (sp?) knife in my bag. It gives me a
small screwdriver and knife blade on hand. It has come in handy a few
times and even a weight weenie would appreciate its gramlessness.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Apr 14, 1:52 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> - Bob - wrote:
>>> My bi-daily rides are fairly short...I travel light... all I need fits
>>> in a small wedge pack. I also carry a spare tubular in the traditional
>>> under seat location. I'm looking for ideas to make it fit better and
>>> more securely.
>>> I tried one of those Zues tubie mounts for the tire but that didn't
>>> improve the secure aspect. One option is to extend the velcro straps
>>> on the wedge to allow it to mount lower under the tire and Zues. But,
>>> velcro to velcro doesn't seem like a really secure choice, so I'm
>>> looking for other ideas.
>>> Anyone have any nice solutions worked out?

>> Join the modern world and switch to clinchers.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --
>> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>>
>> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

> Gee, only 7 posts before this BS...maybe he likes all the advantages
> of tubulars and the teeny disadvantages aren't worth the $ to an
> inferior tire system?

Now that's funnier than the OP's OP.

Greg
--

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:27:03 +1000, Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:31:33 GMT, still me <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>You would have had to add a personal insult about retro-grouches, or
>>maybe even throw in something about how I should be sure to use
>>machine cut threads on any mounting screws.

>Who uses non-machine cut threads when mounting their clinchers?
>Or even for mounting tubulars?

Dear Aeek,

Retro trials riders?

:)

More modern trials riders use rim lock with threaded bolts when
mounting their clincher tires. Dunno if the machine cut or rolled the
threads:

http://i15.tinypic.com/4cb4wgl.jpg

Click on the lower right in Explorer for a full-size view.

The rim lock's bolt is at 12 o'clock. Tightening the nut pulls a wedge
inside the 6 psi tire toward the axle and clamps the sides of the tire
to the rim.

The Schrader air valve is at 6 o'clock.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:27:03 +1000, Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:31:33 GMT, still me <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You would have had to add a personal insult about retro-grouches, or
>>> maybe even throw in something about how I should be sure to use
>>> machine cut threads on any mounting screws.

>> Who uses non-machine cut threads when mounting their clinchers?
>> Or even for mounting tubulars?

> Dear Aeek,
>
> Retro trials riders?
>
> :)
>
> More modern trials riders use rim lock with threaded bolts when
> mounting their clincher tires. Dunno if the machine cut or rolled the
> threads:
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/4cb4wgl.jpg

Rolled, I believe.

> Click on the lower right in Explorer for a full-size view.

You have a browser in your Ford? Is it somewhere in the dashboard???

Greg

--

On Apr 15, 7:30 am, "Wayne" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 8:10 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:> On Apr 14, 9:42 am, - Bob - <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> ......I carry no tools, never needing any
>
> > ever except for once, needing a screw driver as my cleat came
> > loose..used a dime.

> Do you normally ride in a group that other riders using tubulars?

Normally ride alone or with a small group and I'm always the only one
with Tubies.