Spare tubes for flat tires.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jobst Brandt, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Tom Paterson writes:

    > The only bad advice I saw given to the OP was the "don't need more than one spare" business. I try
    > to carry at least three, and not because I don't inspect a flatted tire carefully! Plus three or
    > four tire irons and a tool to fit every fastener on the bike.

    That sounds a bit extreme. For the number of flats I get, one tube is enough and as I have mentioned
    often, I ride more than 2000 miles in the Alps without pumping my tires from the time I leave home
    until a month later after riding here. The same goes for long trips on weekends here and in the
    Sierra Nevada.

    A patch kit can make this a sure procedure because the spare tube gets used when a flat occurs and
    the other one gets patched. Loading oneself with a pile of tools is unnecessary unless traveling in
    uninhabited country.

  2. Tom Paterson writes:

    > The only bad advice I saw given to the OP was the "don't need more than one spare" business. I
    > try to carry at least three, and not because I don't inspect a flatted tire carefully! Plus three
    > or four tire irons and a tool to fit every fastener on the bike.

    I am used to having two with me and I am tempted to change to three, no less. Last summer I hit a
    small vicious rock, conceiled among chestnut leaves, on a fast descent, and I got both tires flat
    (plus, I damaged a clincher, which I had to trash soon after).

    Sergio Pisa

  3. > I am used to having two with me and I am tempted to change to three, no less. Last summer I hit a
    > small vicious rock, conceiled among chestnut leaves, on a fast descent, and I got both tires flat
    > (plus, I damaged a clincher, which I had to trash soon after).
    >
    > Sergio Pisa

    I carry 3 tubes, and 1 tire. Yes I ride through uninhabited country.

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I am used to having two with me and I am tempted to change to three, no less. Last summer I hit a
    >small vicious rock, conceiled among chestnut leaves, on a fast descent, and I got both tires flat
    >(plus, I damaged a clincher, which I had to trash soon after).
    >
    >Sergio Pisa

    It only took one long walk to convince me to carry more than one tube. That nice little piece of
    steel strapping tape got both tires quite nicely. I ride with my wallet, keys and tools in a
    fanny pack, I carry a couple of tubes there as well. I also have most bikes setup with a seat
    pack with 2 tubes.

    I find patching tubes on the road difficult because a slow leak is difficult to locate but mostly, I
    make it a practice to give tubes away to anyone in need. I have given 2 away to someone on a long
    ride and didn't have a spare.

    Jon

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Around town I carry one spare tube and the patch kit. No tire levers because I don't use tires that
    I cannot get off or put on by hand. From stopping for the flat to rolling again is a 7-10 minute
    deal under normal circumstances.

    Should I flat, and that is not uncommon in Los Angeles, I change the tube and I've learned to be
    most careful about checking for glass and tube sticking out from bead before inflating. If the hole
    is obvious, I'll mark it but not patch. I try to keep the glue unopened in the patch kit. At a rest
    stop, I'll use a wash basin or have used puddles to locate and mark the hole but not fix it.

    I prefer doing patches at home where I have a can of glue and bulk patches.

    On longer rides, especially if I'm alone or in an area with few other riders or cars to rescue me, I
    carry a second tube. It is a very lightweight Performance tube that rolls up to about 1½". If my
    tires are on the way out, I carry a second tire.

    On the tandem, I always have 2 tubes. My stoker wife has great ability to find the holes and she
    does that as I changeout the flat. Frequently she can tell me where to look at the tire carefully of
    where the hole is.