Spare tubes for flat tires.

Jobst Brandt

Guest
Tom Paterson writes:

> The only bad advice I saw given to the OP was the "don't need more than one spare" business. I try
> to carry at least three, and not because I don't inspect a flatted tire carefully! Plus three or
> four tire irons and a tool to fit every fastener on the bike.

That sounds a bit extreme. For the number of flats I get, one tube is enough and as I have mentioned
often, I ride more than 2000 miles in the Alps without pumping my tires from the time I leave home
until a month later after riding here. The same goes for long trips on weekends here and in the
Sierra Nevada.

A patch kit can make this a sure procedure because the spare tube gets used when a flat occurs and
the other one gets patched. Loading oneself with a pile of tools is unnecessary unless traveling in
uninhabited country.

Tom Paterson writes:

> The only bad advice I saw given to the OP was the "don't need more than one spare" business. I
> try to carry at least three, and not because I don't inspect a flatted tire carefully! Plus three
> or four tire irons and a tool to fit every fastener on the bike.

I am used to having two with me and I am tempted to change to three, no less. Last summer I hit a
small vicious rock, conceiled among chestnut leaves, on a fast descent, and I got both tires flat
(plus, I damaged a clincher, which I had to trash soon after).

Sergio Pisa

> I am used to having two with me and I am tempted to change to three, no less. Last summer I hit a
> small vicious rock, conceiled among chestnut leaves, on a fast descent, and I got both tires flat
> (plus, I damaged a clincher, which I had to trash soon after).
>
> Sergio Pisa

I carry 3 tubes, and 1 tire. Yes I ride through uninhabited country.

>I am used to having two with me and I am tempted to change to three, no less. Last summer I hit a
>small vicious rock, conceiled among chestnut leaves, on a fast descent, and I got both tires flat
>(plus, I damaged a clincher, which I had to trash soon after).
>
>Sergio Pisa

It only took one long walk to convince me to carry more than one tube. That nice little piece of
steel strapping tape got both tires quite nicely. I ride with my wallet, keys and tools in a
***** pack, I carry a couple of tubes there as well. I also have most bikes setup with a seat
pack with 2 tubes.

I find patching tubes on the road difficult because a slow leak is difficult to locate but mostly, I
make it a practice to give tubes away to anyone in need. I have given 2 away to someone on a long
ride and didn't have a spare.

Jon

Around town I carry one spare tube and the patch kit. No tire levers because I don't use tires that
I cannot get off or put on by hand. From stopping for the flat to rolling again is a 7-10 minute
deal under normal circumstances.

Should I flat, and that is not uncommon in Los Angeles, I change the tube and I've learned to be
most careful about checking for glass and tube sticking out from bead before inflating. If the hole
is obvious, I'll mark it but not patch. I try to keep the glue unopened in the patch kit. At a rest
stop, I'll use a wash basin or have used puddles to locate and mark the hole but not fix it.

I prefer doing patches at home where I have a can of glue and bulk patches.

On longer rides, especially if I'm alone or in an area with few other riders or cars to rescue me, I
carry a second tube. It is a very lightweight Performance tube that rolls up to about 1½". If my
tires are on the way out, I carry a second tire.

On the tandem, I always have 2 tubes. My stoker wife has great ability to find the holes and she
does that as I changeout the flat. Frequently she can tell me where to look at the tire carefully of
where the hole is.