Spares for cycling holiday?

Sl

Guest
Hi. I'm off on my hols to Tuscany with bicycle and girlfriend for a week. Sensible recommendations
for spares and tools (for bicycle, not girlfriend)?

Are brake cables and gear cables the same thing, or do I need one (or two) of each?

And what do people do with their bike packing at the other end? I've got to find a way to stash lots
of bubble wrap and tape and stuff at Pisa airport for the journey home.

Regards,

Si

In message <[email protected]>, SL <[email protected]> writes
>Hi. I'm off on my hols to Tuscany with bicycle and girlfriend for a week. Sensible recommendations
>for spares and tools (for bicycle, not girlfriend)?
>
>Are brake cables and gear cables the same thing, or do I need one (or two) of each?
>
>And what do people do with their bike packing at the other end? I've got to find a way to stash
>lots of bubble wrap and tape and stuff at Pisa airport for the journey home.

As regards packing Garry Lee (regular poster on rec.bicycle.rides) recently wrote the following and
he has plenty of experience with flights and bikes.

"We only take off pedals and turn bars. This I believe is the safest way to transport or ship as the
Yanks say, a bike. Putting in a box is a recipe for a large elephant to be plonked on top of it."

I'd take some spare inner tubes, tyre levers and basic tool kit with spoke key, chain tool, screw
driver, small spanner. I wouldn't know what to do with anything else and if anything more than
simple work was needed I'd be heading for the nearest bike shop.

Have fun in Tuscany. Please write a short report because I may be going there in September.
--
Michael MacClancy

"SL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I'm off on my hols to Tuscany with bicycle and girlfriend for a week. Sensible recommendations
> for spares and tools (for bicycle, not girlfriend)?
>
> Are brake cables and gear cables the same thing, or do I need one (or two) of each?
>
> And what do people do with their bike packing at the other end? I've got to find a way to stash
> lots of bubble wrap and tape and stuff at Pisa airport for the journey home.

They have bike shops in Italy so a massive spares & repair kit is not necessary (unless you bike is
so old it has British treads etc.)

I would take a couple of tubes, a bit of old tube to use as a boot, a cable or two, some spare nuts
& bolts (very few), some tie wraps, duck tape, insulating tape and that strong polypropylene string
that is almost unbreakable (though you can usually blag some from farmer's fields).

Tools -- a set of allen keys (&/or a dumbell spanner if your bike is as old as mine), a swiss army
knife & a winning smile.

Ring the airline and tell them you are going to take the pedals off & turn the bars -- is that OK?
If yes, ask for them to e-mail you back confirming above. If not, do as you are told -- but boxes do
attract sitting elephants
:(

> And what do people do with their bike packing at the other end? I've got to find a way to stash
> lots of bubble wrap and tape and stuff at Pisa airport for the journey home.

Cautionary tale on bubble wrap. It melts. I know a cellist who wrapped her cello in bubble wrap when
going on tour, only to have to pay an extremely large bill to have the cello cleaned and
re-varnished. Obviously, its easier to get it off a bike, but the warning still applies.

David Gillbe wrote:

> > And what do people do with their bike packing at the other end? I've got to find a way to stash
> > lots of bubble wrap and tape and stuff at Pisa airport for the journey home.
>
> Cautionary tale on bubble wrap. It melts. I know a cellist who wrapped her cello in bubble wrap
> when going on tour, only to have to pay an extremely large bill to have the cello cleaned and
> re-varnished. Obviously, its easier to get it off a bike, but the warning still applies.

I've tended to use pipe lagging on the main tubes, taped on. I'd certainly always avoid any form of
bag or box if possible. Clear polythene bags are about the best if forced to use a cover. Its
important that handlers see its a bike.

I've never had problems finding a bush somewhere near the airport to hide pipe lagging under for
the duration of my trips. It's usually got insects or snails attached, but its always been there on
my return.

John B

Hi I've been to Italy a few times now with my bike (and Pisa airport twice). There's info here on
what tools we take, how we pack the bikes etc. http://www.a-nelson.dircon.co.uk/index.htm

Perosnally, one thing I wouldn't leave out of the toolkit is a chainwhip (I just made my own out of
an old bit of chain) and block remover. If you bust a spoke you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be
on the rear and on the block side. Just busting one spoke, your bike may be rideable (mine isn't
when it's loaded, but thats the price you pay for 9 speed blocks ;-) Oh, and it won't break as
you're passing a bike shop - trust me.

As for packing. We tend to use pipe lagging. Last year, I took the pipe lagging off when we got
there, scrunched it up into a plastic carrier bag, put a few turns of tape around it and strapped it
on top of the rear panniers with a bungee cord. It weighed nothing (and looks mighty impressive when
your toiling up the Passo whatever ;-) Seriously, it worked a treat, and I never found it got in the
way. Surprising how small it will pack down.

Hope this helps... Allan.

SL wrote:
> Hi. I'm off on my hols to Tuscany with bicycle and girlfriend for a week. Sensible recommendations
> for spares and tools (for bicycle, not girlfriend)?

I would make sure bikes are in tip top condition then just carry the normal "long-ride" tools like:
puncture kit, inner tubes (3?), full set of allen keys, small screwdriver, spanners or multi-tool
(if bike requires spanners), spoke key if know how to use it.

> Are brake cables and gear cables the same thing, or do I need one (or two) of each?

Brake & gear cables are different. One of each should do - although you're very unlikely to need
them if current ones are in good condition (check for corrosion or fraying at the ends: at nipple
and at or before bolt - doesn't matter if frayed after bolt).

~PB

Thanks for all your tips - I'll be straight down the DIY shop for some pipe lagging. I don't suppose
RyanAir take many elephants from Stansted but you can never be too sure.

Si.

"SL" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hi. I'm off on my hols to Tuscany with bicycle and girlfriend for a week. Sensible recommendations
> for spares and tools (for bicycle, not girlfriend)?

Saw someone the other day riding along one handed with a whole spare bike in the other hand. That's
probably taking things a little too far.

In article <[email protected]>, SL <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for all your tips - I'll be straight down the DIY shop for some pipe lagging. I don't
> suppose RyanAir take many elephants from Stansted but you can never be too sure.

I have seen a few ephalumps travelling from Stansted - they have all been of the variety ephalumpia
humanii:)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Andy wrote:

> Saw someone the other day riding along one handed with a whole spare bike in the other hand.
> That's probably taking things a little too far.

Hehe - I saw a bloke riding along with another bike strapped across his rear rack! as in one wheel
sticking out each side. This on a towpath, not traffic btw :)

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

My must haves.

1. Repair kit with tyre boot ( canvas).(have used boot once or twice.
2. 3 spare tubes. Have got 4 punctures in one morning. On three wheels (mine and wife's)
3. Spare tyre if going far. Have used about 4 times on tour.
4. Cooltool. Best though not most versatile tool.
5. Levers. Metal best.
6. Hypercracker. Have used 3 or 4 times.
7. 1 Spare Gear and brake wire (have never replaced either in more than 40 tours, but you
never know)
8. A few spare spokes. Have used a few times.
9. Spoke key. 10 Saddle spanner (I use Brooks saddles). Have used twice.
10. Pump of course. Best I've come across for touring is Blackburn Mammoth Dual. Great pressure,
fast and fits in pannier.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> My must haves.
>
> 1. Repair kit with tyre boot ( canvas).(have used boot once or twice.
> 2. 3 spare tubes. Have got 4 punctures in one morning. On three wheels (mine and wife's)
> 3. Spare tyre if going far. Have used about 4 times on tour.
> 4. Cooltool. Best though not most versatile tool.
> 5. Levers. Metal best.
> 6. Hypercracker. Have used 3 or 4 times.
> 7. 1 Spare Gear and brake wire (have never replaced either in more than 40 tours, but you never
> know)
> 8. A few spare spokes. Have used a few times.
> 9. Spoke key. 10 Saddle spanner (I use Brooks saddles). Have used twice.
> 11. Pump of course. Best I've come across for touring is Blackburn Mammoth Dual. Great pressure,
> fast and fits in pannier.

I agree with all, although I think that THREE spare tubes (AND a patch kit) is a bit pessimistic.
Also, your bike probably has three different sizes of spokes, so I bring one or two of the Fiber-fix
kevlar things instead. Touch wood: I've never had to use them.

I'd add: (12) 6 feet or so of duct tape wrapped around a film can filled with Vaseline (can be used
on both bike and rider), (13) 3 feet or so of electricians tape wrapped around a film can filled
with hand cleaner, (14) 10 feet or so of heavy twine, light nylon cord or similar (because s**t
happens, e.g. if you break or lose a pannier hook, what is your fallback?) and (15) -- the sheer
luxury of clean hands -- 2 or 3 pairs of surgical gloves stuffed into a small ziploc bag.

If you ride clipless, consider bringing an extra cleat and mounting bolts. This falls into the
category of "unlikely to happen, but what will you do if it does?" Less of an issue if you have
Hamlet pedals (SPD on one side, traditional cage on the other).

There are some STI/ERGO users who take along a downtube shift lever in the bottom of the toolkit,
just in case. Especially in the mountains, you'd hate to find yourself with no rear shifting. I use
bar-cons, so I've never really worried about this.

Peter Storey

"Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> In many tours the only things I have ever used are:
>
> spokes tubes folding tyre (essential if riding Continentals) bag elastic mudguard clip
>
> Cliff

Did you mean "used" or "taken along" (the latter being what I thought we were talking about). I just
finished a week's tour with two friends amd the only tool/spare that we actually used was a 5mmm
Allen key.

Of course we found we needed precisely what we didn't have -- some grease for a squeaky seat post
and for some sticky brake posts. Given the choice between olive oil and sunscreen, we used the
sunscreen. Worked fine.

"What to take" is a bit like buying insurance. You don't want the premium to be any higher than it
needs to be, but you want enough coverage so that you're unlikely to get truly stuck. And in both
cases, you'd much prefer to find that you never needed it after all.

Peter Storey

"Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > >

> > spokes tubes folding tyre (essential if riding Continentals) bag elastic mudguard clip
> >
> > Cliff
>

> Did you mean "used" or "taken along" (the latter being what I thought
> > .
> No I meant used. I'm talking about 2 bikes doing about 35,000 miles in
total on tarmac.

Cliff