Spares for old 6 speed Shimano 105

Scrim

Guest
Hi,
I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
eBay for used parts in good condition.
The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to be
so old now that parts are rare.
Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
speed 105 range?
Thanks,

Scrim

Scrim wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
> eBay for used parts in good condition.
> The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to be
> so old now that parts are rare.
> Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
> speed 105 range?
> Thanks,
>
> Scrim

You have regular old 130mm chainrings available any where from many
manufacturers.
Phil Brown

Scrim wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
> eBay for used parts in good condition.
> The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to be
> so old now that parts are rare.
> Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
> speed 105 range?
> Thanks,

Yes, that's correct, any ring will do.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scrim wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
>> eBay for used parts in good condition.
>> The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to
>> be so old now that parts are rare.
>> Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
>> speed 105 range?
>> Thanks,

> Yes, that's correct, any ring will do.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

So even a modern 10 speed Shimano chainring is the same? I was assuming
they'd be thinner?
What type of chain do I need?
Thanks,
Scrim

>> Scrim wrote:
>>> I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
>>> eBay for used parts in good condition.
>>> The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to
>>> be so old now that parts are rare.
>>> Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
>>> speed 105 range?

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Yes, that's correct, any ring will do.

>> Scrim wrote:

> So even a modern 10 speed Shimano chainring is the same? I was assuming
> they'd be thinner?
> What type of chain do I need?

Use a 5/6 speed chain, they last longer than skinny chain and they all
cost the same to start.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The thing to know is that (with the exception of SHIMANO 10), teeth on
chainrings ARE THE SAME SIZE as they've always been, going back to
5-speed freewheels & chainrings. Only the spaces BETWEEN the teeth
have gotten narrower, not the teeth themselves.

What this means is that any 5-speed, 6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed,
9-speed or 10-speed(campy/sram) chainring will work for you, as long
as the BCD is 130. Just not Shimano-10 circa 2006 (let's not talk
about shimano-10 1980).

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The thing to know is that (with the exception of SHIMANO 10), teeth on
> chainrings ARE THE SAME SIZE as they've always been, going back to
> 5-speed freewheels & chainrings. Only the spaces BETWEEN the teeth
> have gotten narrower, not the teeth themselves.
>
> What this means is that any 5-speed, 6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed,
> 9-speed or 10-speed(campy/sram) chainring will work for you, as long
> as the BCD is 130. Just not Shimano-10 circa 2006 (let's not talk
> about shimano-10 1980).
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Thanks, I think I understand :
Almost all chainrings with bolt holes on a 130mm diameter are
interchangeable.
Higher speed chains will fit lower speed gearing, but are less robust, so
use the right chain.

Scrim

"Scrim" <[email protected]> writes:

>Thanks, I think I understand : Almost all chainrings with bolt holes
>on a 130mm diameter are interchangeable.

That's right.

(a) The space between sprockets - except shimano-10, see :

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

Until Shimano-10 came along, sprocket sizes had changed by at
most 8% (1.85mm -> 1.7mm), which is probably not far from the
margin of error in manufacturing or chain wear. With
Shimano-10, however, the change is 1.85mm -> 1.6mm, or about 14%.

(b) The _outsides_ of chains have gotten skinnier, causing them to
wear faster, but not the _insides_ of chains, which are the same
width to fit the same teeth.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Scrim" <[email protected]> writes:

>Thanks, I think I understand : Almost all chainrings with bolt holes
>on a 130mm diameter are interchangeable.

That's right. I guess I should include campy-10 in my list of
exceptions, viz:

(a) The space between sprockets has hardly gotten smaller - except
campy-10 and shimano-10, see :

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

Regular 5/6 speed (1.85mm) -> Campy 9-speed (1.75mm) = only 5% smaller

Regular 5/6 speed (1.85mm) -> Campy 10-speed (1.7mm) = 8%
Regular 5/6 speed (1.85mm) -> Shimano-10 speed (1.6mm) = 14%

5% is probably within the margin of error in manufacturing
and/or chain wear.

(b) The _outsides_ of chains have gotten skinnier, causing them to
wear faster, but not the _insides_ of chains, which are the same
width to fit the same teeth.

You may want to stay away from weirdo Suntour 8-speed, 7-speed, and
Accushift gears, as well as Shimano IG 7-speed gears.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA