SPD Advice - noobie help

Parsnip

Apr 27, 2009
Hi
I bought a bike the other day which came with Shimano PD M540 pedals, but I have never used SPDs before.

I was browsing eBay for some cheap SPD shoes to test it out, but have absolutely no idea which shoes are compatible.
Also, do I need to buy cleats for the pedals? Or the shoes? Or neither?

I am at a loss :(

Thanks in advance.

When you purchase a set of Shimano SPD pedals new, they come with the SPD cleats you will need.

Then you have to find a pair of riding shoes you like that are compatible with SPD cleats, and there are LOTS of those made.

So while you can just use regular tennis shoes until you find the riding shoes you want, you will need to purchase a pair of SPD cleats once you do purchase shoes to use the pedals as they were intended.

For me, shoes are a very important thing. Good shoes will feel good, look good, and last for many years. IMHO, don't go cheap when you buy your shoes and make sure they fit correctly.

I'm thrifty, ( read that as cheap **** ) so I went around to local bike shops and tried on shoes till I found the kind and correct size I wanted. Then I went shopping on the internet and found those exact shoes for $40 less and bought them.

Maybe some of the other folks that know more than I do will comment, but I say good shoes are one of the most important pieces of clothing you will purchase.

Sounds like you bought the bike used and it already has the pedals on them. In this case, you will need to get new cleats to go with them. Since you have the Shimano pedals, obviously get Shimano cleats, but make sure they are the mtn bike cleats and not the road cleats.

This would be a good time to get some shoes to go with them. Some people like to take advantage of shops and try things on and use the resources of the staff to help them out. Then they will save some money and buy online. If this is your style go for it, but I think it is pretty lame. If the shop and staff help you out, you should reciprocate by giving them your business.

Also, if you get the cleats and shoes at the LBS, the folks there will help install the cleats for you. If you have any issues with foot pain or hotspots, they can help you make adjustments and show you how so you can do that for yourself in the future.

Good luck