SPD cleat road/mtb compatibility?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by One Of The Six, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
    SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
    anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

    Tags:

  2. one of the six billion <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
    : SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
    : anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

    Check with your dealer or a Shimano brochure (usually available for free).

    I recall SPD-compatible cleats have just two types, the only difference being how you need to twist
    them to unclip. But that I read from usenet...

  3. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    If you read the Shimano site, they're essentially incompatible. I use one pair of cleats between
    both types of pedals, for about 10 years now, and I've never had a problem.

    -pete

    "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
    > SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
    > anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

  4. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
    > SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
    > anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

    I tried this once. It wasn't a good idea. Hard to get in, too easy getting out with SH-51 cleats in
    combination with Dura Ace SPD pedals.

    Lou

  5. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

  6. Eddiefel

    Eddiefel Guest

    I've tried this. The SH51 don't have as much rotational range because the rear of the cleat is
    slightly wider. In practice, it means they will engage the Ultegra & Dura Ace SPD pedal but are hard
    to get in and hard to release, and don't float much at all.

    It's worth using the SH71. Web sleuthing should turn up a mail supplier or ask your LBS to get
    them from their distributor. The SH71's work pretty well with Shimano MTB pedals designed for
    SH51's, though release will be too easy for some folks.

    one of the six billion wrote:

    > I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
    > SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
    > anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > one of the six billion <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
    > : SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
    > : anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?
    >
    > Check with your dealer or a Shimano brochure (usually available for free).
    >
    > I recall SPD-compatible cleats have just two types, the only difference being how you need to
    > twist them to unclip. But that I read from usenet...

    Nooo... We're talking a few more than that.

    It was already posted in this thread, but there's a chart here for most Shimano cleats:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#pedal

    There's also this:

    http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_pedals/size_chart/index.asp

    I think a FAQ on shimano SPD pedal cleats might be useful, but a quickie synopsis: setting aside
    SPD-R and SPD-SL (both are road designs), the two most common SPD cleats are the SH-51 (single
    release) and the SH-55 (multi-release).

    I don't know what the SH-50 and SH-52 are about.