SPD cleat road/mtb compatibility?

One Of The Six

Guest
I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

one of the six billion <[email protected]> wrote:
: I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
: SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
: anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

Check with your dealer or a Shimano brochure (usually available for free).

I recall SPD-compatible cleats have just two types, the only difference being how you need to twist
them to unclip. But that I read from usenet...

If you read the Shimano site, they're essentially incompatible. I use one pair of cleats between
both types of pedals, for about 10 years now, and I've never had a problem.

-pete

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
> SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
> anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
> SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
> anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

I tried this once. It wasn't a good idea. Hard to get in, too easy getting out with SH-51 cleats in
combination with Dura Ace SPD pedals.

Lou

I've tried this. The SH51 don't have as much rotational range because the rear of the cleat is
slightly wider. In practice, it means they will engage the Ultegra & Dura Ace SPD pedal but are hard
to get in and hard to release, and don't float much at all.

It's worth using the SH71. Web sleuthing should turn up a mail supplier or ask your LBS to get
them from their distributor. The SH71's work pretty well with Shimano MTB pedals designed for
SH51's, though release will be too easy for some folks.

one of the six billion wrote:

> I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
> SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
> anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?

> one of the six billion <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I have a pair of Ultegra and a pair of Dura Ace SPD pedals (not SPD-R). They currently have a SM
> : SH-71 cleat. They need replacing and I seem to find mostly the SH-51 mtb cleats available. Does
> : anybody know the compatibility/differences between the two?
>
> Check with your dealer or a Shimano brochure (usually available for free).
>
> I recall SPD-compatible cleats have just two types, the only difference being how you need to
> twist them to unclip. But that I read from usenet...

Nooo... We're talking a few more than that.

It was already posted in this thread, but there's a chart here for most Shimano cleats:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#pedal

There's also this:

http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_pedals/size_chart/index.asp

I think a FAQ on shimano SPD pedal cleats might be useful, but a quickie synopsis: setting aside
SPD-R and SPD-SL (both are road designs), the two most common SPD cleats are the SH-51 (single
release) and the SH-55 (multi-release).

I don't know what the SH-50 and SH-52 are about.