SPD cleat shims

ohgodnooo!

Sep 3, 2004
Does anyone have experience trying to shim SPD cleats and if you were successful what did you employ. I am using a rectangle of plastic cut to fit my shoe. I'm not real happy with it as it makes the shoe harder to walk on hard surfaces (cleat sticks out), and it's just a dorky strip of plastic that I don't think will be very durable. I have searched online but have not found any shims for SPD cleats. Thanks.

ohgodnooo! said:
Does anyone have experience trying to shim SPD cleats and if you were successful what did you employ. I am using a rectangle of plastic cut to fit my shoe. I'm not real happy with it as it makes the shoe harder to walk on hard surfaces (cleat sticks out), and it's just a dorky strip of plastic that I don't think will be very durable. I have searched online but have not found any shims for SPD cleats. Thanks.

I use a product called LeWedge. They can be stacked to deal with leg length discrepancies and/or to position the foot at a different angle to the pedal to correct biomechanical alignments.

I love them.

I think putting another sole in that shoe would throw off the fit of the stock BG soles on that side and probably cramp an already nearly tight space at the forefoot. I use Specialized mountain shoes and believe it or not the stock soles work the best-near exact cradling fit and good arch support. Leg movement and an uneven feeling of length of pedal stroke are my problems. I am needing to shim the right leg asthe knee moves outward as I pedal and feels as though it is reaching farther at the bottom of the stroke. I could of course have a more severe body alignment problems going. Straightening my cleats may force my feet into a better position for pedaling. Alot of float side to side is not always good.
I've seen the Lewedge, Postie, but did not think it was for SPDs. After looking closer at Lemond's sight I see they are also for SPDs. I may try them. I'll see if the LBS has them, as that seems to be about the only option. Thanks.

ohgodnooo! said:
I am needing to shim the right leg asthe knee moves outward as I pedal and feels as though it is reaching farther at the bottom of the stroke. I could of course have a more severe body alignment problems going. Straightening my cleats may force my feet into a better position for pedaling. Alot of float side to side is not always good.

I completely believe that too much float needn't be ideal, however I don't have a lot of experience with medium float. I tried giving SPDs a shot and they were an absolute no-go for me. I had a heck of a time getting them aligned properly, which made me very aware that either I completely destroy me knees, or I ditch the SPDs.

Hence I went with Speedplay's. Frog's for the mountain bike and X-2's for the road bike. I have no intention of being a poster boy for Speedplay, but I can say this: "Low float" vs "tons of float" has me knowing that "tons of float" is better for me. Pedals are bloody expensive so I haven't played around too much with the other pedals out there.

Having a couple wedges under my cleats (the Frog's use the SPD wedge) keep my feet from floating around so much on the pedals. That told me instantly that the wedge had significance. All of my shoes are also Specialized with BG and the angling that Specialized did in their shoes wasn't enough for my biomechanics.