SPD cleats getting stuck

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fix, Mar 2, 2004.

1. fix

fix New Member

I recently purchased a pair of Ritchey pedals for my road bike. I understand that they use SPD-R style cleats. These are my first set of clipless pedals and I'm struggling with unclipping from the pedals. I get my heel turned out to the side and the shoe gets stuck in that position instead of fully freeing itself from the pedal. Once in this position, I have to use a lot of force to wrench the shoe free from the pedal.

I have had some success getting the pedals to easily release, but no consistency. When the jam occurs, I'm really stuck and if I were on the road, I would have to fall to the side to stop. Fortunately, I'm on my trainer when this newbie testing is occuring. Otherwise I imagine that they 'd be scraping me from the road right now.

I suspect that I don't have the cleats properly aligned and this is the reason for my problems. Does anyone have any tips on how to properly set the cleats?

Tags:

2. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

3. fix

fix New Member

4. Eidetic

Eidetic New Member

DO NOT pull up, at all. just rotate your heel laterally around the pivot of the ball of your foot. the mechanics of the cleat/pedal interface (an inclined plane) do the work, not your calf muscles. The cleat/pedal i/f is design to STAY engaged on the upstroke, and to disengage on lateral rotation.

5. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

A touch of oil might help as well , these cleats are metal not self - lubing plastic .

6. fix

fix New Member

Thanks for the tip. I've been practicing in my trainer and have managed to dieengage smoothly 9 of 10 times. You are right about the "do not pull". That made the big difference. Hopefully I'll keep this in mind when I hit the road. I'm sure that if I forget, I'll hit the road. Stay tuned for my next thread, "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Thanks for your tolerance of a newbie's learning experience.

7. Eidetic

Eidetic New Member

glad to help. no doubt initially you will have moments of panic as you come to a stop ... if you can't disengage, you are pulling up in panic. collect yourself and rotate your heel out, like you were spinning on a dime.

you will soon have more trouble trying to quickly engage the cleats than disengage the cleats. for engaging, even the Lance has occasional probs. it's actually a dangerous period ... it's easy to forget about traffic and pedestrians when you're trying to get the damn cleats seated.