SPD dress shoes?

qtq

Guest
Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

--
to email me, run my email address through /usr/bin/caesar
(or rotate by -4)

qtq <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of
> nice shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

Panniers.

Ken wrote:
> qtq <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear
>> reasonably nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to
>> keep a pair of nice shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for
>> various reasons.)

> Panniers.

Backpack/waistpack/messenger bag.

Ken wrote:
> qtq <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear
>> reasonably nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to
>> keep a pair of nice shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for
>> various reasons.)

> Panniers.

or a large purse even.

On 30 Sep 2004 11:54:06 GMT, qtq <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
>I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
>SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

Maybe you wouldn't wear them, but countless thousands of male cycling perverts
ar imagining such a thing right now.

>I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
>nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
>shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

More seriously, I don't think such a thing is feasible for it's own reasons.
There are hiking/casual looking shoes out there. But think you'll end up looking
for a bag of some sort to carry work shoes/clothes in.

Ron

"qtq" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
>
> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
> shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

Here in Oklahoma we have SPD cowboy boots. I saw a pair of LOOK pedals on
a quarter horse the other day.

winnard
(I'm joking, you know.)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
>I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
>SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
>I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
>nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
>shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

Carry the nice pair of shoes with you. You could also try making a regular
pair of shoes SPD compatible. But you might end up ruining a decent pair
of shoes.
------------
Alex

qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
>
> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
> shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.

You could make something pretty easy - most SPDs come with the backing
plates that you can put inside the shoe to bolt into. I saw a guy who
did it to his $5 flip flops by cutting out a 1" square section,
putting in a maching piece of sheetmetal, and put the backing plate on
the foot-facing portion of the flipfli. Of coarse the backing plate
sad wrong against his foot, but it was for show more than anything.
If you put an insole over the top - you'd be good.

"HardwareLust" wrote: or a large purse even.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"It's not a purse. It's European."

qtq <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely
> formal/attractive? I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe'
> style;

No. You can get black sneakers lookalikes, which won't qualify I
assume.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

There *used* to be men's black leather SPD loafers that were suitable for
business casual, Race Vogs. But I don't know of any current ones that
are commercially available.

On the other hand, it's simple to convert almost any shoes to SPDs. I
have a brief piece on my web site on converting combat boots to clipless.

Thin soles may not be able to have the cleats recessed, so you might walk
around clicking.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

I keep my work shoes at work. Bike to work, bike home, change shoes at work.
A pair of shoes fits nicely in a decent desk drawer

qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
>
> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
> shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=lp&MARQUE=0&SEARCH=&CAT=95&GO.x=10&GO.y=12

but I wear a size 47 :( ... great link

Former INA'er said:
qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
>
> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
> shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=lp&MARQUE=0&SEARCH=&CAT=95&GO.x=10&GO.y=12

"Joshua Putnam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely

formal/attractive?
> > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking

for
> > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

> There *used* to be men's black leather SPD loafers that were suitable for
> business casual, Race Vogs. But I don't know of any current ones that
> are commercially available.

I found a pair of RaceVogs on Newbury Street in Boston in at a shoe store
called John Fluevog (www.fluevog.com).
I didn't buy'em because they didn't have my size and they were really sort
of stuck in the 90's style wise. I'm pretty sure they stopped making them a
few years back and just had a few pairs laying about.

"winnard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<UnX6d.3775$ek.2915@okepread03>...
> "qtq" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
> >
> > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
> > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)
> >

> Here in Oklahoma we have SPD cowboy boots. I saw a pair of LOOK pedals on
> a quarter horse the other day.
>

> winnard
> (I'm joking, you know.)

When I was working on the Alaskan pipeline, in '76 & '77 I saw guys
wearing pointy toed goloshes over cowboy boots. I also learned that an
Okie screw diver was an 1/8" weld rod w/ the end pounded flat. A
really high class one had the end ground square. It wouldn't surprise
me in the least if their were an SPD Okie cowboot ;-)
John

Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

> There *used* to be men's black leather SPD loafers that were suitable for
> business casual, Race Vogs. But I don't know of any current ones that
> are commercially available.

<snip>

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Shoes/product_22947.shtml

/s

[email protected] (Former INA'er) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
> > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
> > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
> >
> > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
> > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
> > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

> http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=lp&MARQUE=0&SEARCH=&CAT=95&GO.x=10&GO.y=12

Those are pretty cool... I think....
Anybody know where to find the Carlit or Sport in the States? New
York, specifically?
/s