SPD dress shoes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by qtq, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. qtq

    qtq Guest

    Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

    I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    --
    to email me, run my email address through /usr/bin/caesar
    (or rotate by -4)

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    qtq <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of
    > nice shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    Panniers.

  3. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > qtq <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear
    >> reasonably nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to
    >> keep a pair of nice shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for
    >> various reasons.)

    > Panniers.

    Backpack/waistpack/messenger bag.

  4. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > qtq <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >> I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear
    >> reasonably nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to
    >> keep a pair of nice shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for
    >> various reasons.)

    > Panniers.

    or a large purse even.

  5. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 30 Sep 2004 11:54:06 GMT, qtq <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    >I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    >SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

    Maybe you wouldn't wear them, but countless thousands of male cycling perverts
    ar imagining such a thing right now.

    >I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    >nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    >shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    More seriously, I don't think such a thing is feasible for it's own reasons.
    There are hiking/casual looking shoes out there. But think you'll end up looking
    for a bag of some sort to carry work shoes/clothes in.

    Ron

  6. winnard

    winnard Guest

    "qtq" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].2.58...
    > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
    >
    > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    Here in Oklahoma we have SPD cowboy boots. I saw a pair of LOOK pedals on
    a quarter horse the other day.

    winnard
    (I'm joking, you know.)

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    >I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    >SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
    >I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    >nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    >shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    Carry the nice pair of shoes with you. You could also try making a regular
    pair of shoes SPD compatible. But you might end up ruining a decent pair
    of shoes.
    ------------
    Alex

  8. qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
    >
    > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.

    You could make something pretty easy - most SPDs come with the backing
    plates that you can put inside the shoe to bolt into. I saw a guy who
    did it to his $5 flip flops by cutting out a 1" square section,
    putting in a maching piece of sheetmetal, and put the backing plate on
    the foot-facing portion of the flipfli. Of coarse the backing plate
    sad wrong against his foot, but it was for show more than anything.
    If you put an insole over the top - you'd be good.

  10. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "HardwareLust" wrote: or a large purse even.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "It's not a purse. It's European."

  11. qtq <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely
    > formal/attractive? I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe'
    > style;

    No. You can get black sneakers lookalikes, which won't qualify I
    assume.

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  12. Andre

    Andre Guest

    I'm a fancy boy...

    --
    --------------------------
    Andre Charlebois

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "HardwareLust" wrote: or a large purse even.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > "It's not a purse. It's European."

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

    There *used* to be men's black leather SPD loafers that were suitable for
    business casual, Race Vogs. But I don't know of any current ones that
    are commercially available.

    On the other hand, it's simple to convert almost any shoes to SPDs. I
    have a brief piece on my web site on converting combat boots to clipless.

    Thin soles may not be able to have the cleats recessed, so you might walk
    around clicking.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

  14. kgruscho

    kgruscho New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    I keep my work shoes at work. Bike to work, bike home, change shoes at work.
    A pair of shoes fits nicely in a decent desk drawer

  15. qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
    >
    > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=lp&MARQUE=0&SEARCH=&CAT=95&GO.x=10&GO.y=12

  16. kgruscho

    kgruscho New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    but I wear a size 47 :( ... great link

  17. "Joshua Putnam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely

    formal/attractive?
    > > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking

    for
    > > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

    > There *used* to be men's black leather SPD loafers that were suitable for
    > business casual, Race Vogs. But I don't know of any current ones that
    > are commercially available.

    I found a pair of RaceVogs on Newbury Street in Boston in at a shoe store
    called John Fluevog (www.fluevog.com).
    I didn't buy'em because they didn't have my size and they were really sort
    of stuck in the 90's style wise. I'm pretty sure they stopped making them a
    few years back and just had a few pairs laying about.

  18. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    "winnard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "qtq" <uhpryh.20[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
    > >
    > > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    > > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    > > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)
    > >

    > Here in Oklahoma we have SPD cowboy boots. I saw a pair of LOOK pedals on
    > a quarter horse the other day.
    >

    > winnard
    > (I'm joking, you know.)

    When I was working on the Alaskan pipeline, in '76 & '77 I saw guys
    wearing pointy toed goloshes over cowboy boots. I also learned that an
    Okie screw diver was an 1/8" weld rod w/ the end pounded flat. A
    really high class one had the end ground square. It wouldn't surprise
    me in the least if their were an SPD Okie cowboot ;-)
    John

  19. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).

    > There *used* to be men's black leather SPD loafers that were suitable for
    > business casual, Race Vogs. But I don't know of any current ones that
    > are commercially available.

    <snip>

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Shoes/product_22947.shtml

    /s

  20. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Former INA'er) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > qtq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Does any manufacturer make SPD shoes which look vaguely formal/attractive?
    > > I'm talking more in the 'leather school shoe' style; I'm not looking for
    > > SPD strappy stilettos! (wouldn't be seen dead in them).
    > >
    > > I prefer non-platform pedals, in general, but I need to wear reasonably
    > > nice shoes at work. (The obvious solution would be to keep a pair of nice
    > > shoes at work, but this isn't feasible for various reasons.)

    > http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=lp&MARQUE=0&SEARCH=&CAT=95&GO.x=10&GO.y=12

    Those are pretty cool... I think....
    Anybody know where to find the Carlit or Sport in the States? New
    York, specifically?
    /s