SPD "M" Cleats

Andrew Price

Guest
Does anyone know the difference between the Shimano SPD SH55 and SH56
cleats? Both are "multiple exit", but the shape is slightly
different, and the SH56 seem to release more readily on the same pedal
release settings. Just two generations of the same product? (the SH55
appears no longer to be sold)

Andrew Price wrote:
> Does anyone know the difference between the Shimano SPD SH55 and SH56
> cleats? Both are "multiple exit", but the shape is slightly
> different, and the SH56 seem to release more readily on the same pedal
> release settings. Just two generations of the same product? (the SH55
> appears no longer to be sold)

don't even bother with them - just use the standard "single" release
cleats. easier to operate. more secure.

Andrew Price wrote:
> Does anyone know the difference between the Shimano SPD SH55 and SH56
> cleats? Both are "multiple exit", but the shape is slightly
> different, and the SH56 seem to release more readily on the same pedal
> release settings. Just two generations of the same product? (the SH55
> appears no longer to be sold)

----------
I've tried the newer one on an older
shimano spd pedal and really didn't see
any difference.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Andrew Price wrote:
>> Does anyone know the difference between the Shimano SPD SH55 and SH56
>> cleats? Both are "multiple exit", but the shape is slightly
>> different, and the SH56 seem to release more readily on the same pedal
>> release settings. Just two generations of the same product? (the SH55
>> appears no longer to be sold)

> don't even bother with them - just use the standard "single" release
> cleats. easier to operate. more secure.

********. "Easier to operate"? Yeah, clicking any of them in is such a big
ordeal.

"More secure"? Sure, since the release springs are not adjustable - oh
wait, they are.

Jambo wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>> Andrew Price wrote:
>>> Does anyone know the difference between the Shimano SPD SH55 and SH56
>>> cleats? Both are "multiple exit", but the shape is slightly
>>> different, and the SH56 seem to release more readily on the same pedal
>>> release settings. Just two generations of the same product? (the SH55
>>> appears no longer to be sold)

>> don't even bother with them - just use the standard "single" release
>> cleats. easier to operate. more secure.

> ********. "Easier to operate"? Yeah, clicking any of them in is such a big
> ordeal.
>
> "More secure"? Sure, since the release springs are not adjustable - oh
> wait, they are.

er,

1. the metal on the 55/56 cleats is softer so they bind in the pedal,
especially when gritty. the normal [harder metal] sh51 cleats are
correspondingly "easier to operate".

2. they release in two modes, not one. sh51's release in only one mode
and are therefore more secure, especially as it's at 90 degrees to
pedaling force, not just 45 like the others. that means "more secure".

goddamned moron.

[email protected] wrote:

> If the 51's are OOP, it might be time to stock up-- I've only used
> these in Spin class, but from that experience, I don't think I'd want
> something that clicks out easier (or in more positions/directions/
> whatever) for use on a moving bicycle.

I doubt that the single-release SH-51 is going away. The multi-release
SH-55 is being replaced by the SH-56.

Art Harris

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:41:42 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The SH-55 cleat is on our "DNB" (do not buy)
>list.

I don't think you could buy it now, even if you wanted to - it appears
to have been replaced by the SH-56.

>People can, and have, hurt themselves when they became unexpectedly
>disengaged from their pedals (when using those cleats).

And the SH-56 seems to release even more easily than its predecessor.

>I doubt it's a bit
>issue with a casual cyclist that doesn't put that much energy into the
>cranks, and the market that Shimano targets (by including them in their
>models which have SPD only on one side, with a standard pedal platform on
>the other) is in sync with that.

There is a certain logic in that - I used them on a "hack" bike in a
stop-go urban environment, and before the standard twist release
became second nature, the multi-release saved me from two or three
spills. At the same time, I had begun to use Look pedals on a road
bike, and there, before the release motion became instinctive, I did
have the traditional fall and associated bruised ego.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> For what its worth, I have had accidental release with SH-55 "M" SPuDs,
>> but not with SH-51 "S" SPuD cleats.

> Your experience is not unusual. The SH-55 cleat is on our "DNB" (do not buy)
> list. People can, and have, hurt themselves when they became unexpectedly
> disengaged from their pedals (when using those cleats). I doubt it's a bit
> issue with a casual cyclist that doesn't put that much energy into the
> cranks, and the market that Shimano targets (by including them in their
> models which have SPD only on one side, with a standard pedal platform on
> the other) is in sync with that.

The SH-55 is all I use on all my bikes (road & off-road). I much prefer
them to the single-release version. I've never had a problem, they've
always disengaged when needed and not otherwise.

Fritz wrote:
> I ride on Nashbar mountain bike pedals (made by Wellgo) for years and
> they have been, up till last year been a multi release type of pedal.
> You could twist your foot left of right and disengage or you could
> tilt you foot outward and release. This last type of release ( the
> outward tilt one) cost me a painful spill last year. I am now
> riding the newer version that is single release and the pedal is MUCH
> more secure.

If these are similar to Shimano SPD pedals, it's the cleat (not the
pedal) that determines whether there is single or multiple modes of
release.

Art Harris

Peter Cole wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>> For what its worth, I have had accidental release with SH-55 "M"
>>> SPuDs, but not with SH-51 "S" SPuD cleats.

>> Your experience is not unusual. The SH-55 cleat is on our "DNB" (do
>> not buy) list. People can, and have, hurt themselves when they became
>> unexpectedly disengaged from their pedals (when using those cleats). I
>> doubt it's a bit issue with a casual cyclist that doesn't put that
>> much energy into the cranks, and the market that Shimano targets (by
>> including them in their models which have SPD only on one side, with a
>> standard pedal platform on the other) is in sync with that.

> The SH-55 is all I use on all my bikes (road & off-road). I much prefer
> them to the single-release version. I've never had a problem, they've
> always disengaged when needed and not otherwise.

Do you have the release tension set very high?

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Oct 30, 7:16 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:

> >> Your experience is not unusual. The SH-55 cleat is on our "DNB" (do
> >> not buy) list. People can, and have, hurt themselves when they became
> >> unexpectedly disengaged from their pedals (when using those cleats). I
> >> doubt it's a bit issue with a casual cyclist that doesn't put that
> >> much energy into the cranks, and the market that Shimano targets (by
> >> including them in their models which have SPD only on one side, with a
> >> standard pedal platform on the other) is in sync with that.

> > The SH-55 is all I use on all my bikes (road & off-road). I much prefer
> > them to the single-release version. I've never had a problem, they've
> > always disengaged when needed and not otherwise.

> Do you have the release tension set very high?

Apparently, high enough to prevent unintended release.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>>>
>>> Your experience is not unusual. The SH-55 cleat is on our "DNB" (do
>>> not buy) list. People can, and have, hurt themselves when they became
>>> unexpectedly disengaged from their pedals (when using those cleats).
>>> I doubt it's a bit issue with a casual cyclist that doesn't put that
>>> much energy into the cranks, and the market that Shimano targets (by
>>> including them in their models which have SPD only on one side, with
>>> a standard pedal platform on the other) is in sync with that.

>> The SH-55 is all I use on all my bikes (road & off-road). I much
>> prefer them to the single-release version. I've never had a problem,
>> they've always disengaged when needed and not otherwise.

> Do you have the release tension set very high?

No, usually low. The only difference between S-R & M-R cleats is that
the M-R also release with a foot "roll" (as well as default twist). I
take some care to ensure that my cleats are mounted such that pressing
on the pedal doesn't create any roll forces.

I guess it's a matter of trading off potential unintended release vs.
foot trapping. I have a friend who required extensive surgery and rehab
to repair a spiral fracture from a foot trap during a low speed fall. I
also know several others who were injured from pedal "pull outs", using
various cleats.

I don't race, so I rarely "pull up" on pedals, and view the practice as
dangerous. When I do, in circumstances like uphill slogs on my fixer,
I'm careful to anticipate a potential pull out. I think it has only
happened once, with worn cleats, and I didn't spill. I can't recall ever
having a problem with release during a downstroke. I suppose that could
be dangerous during a standing sprint, but that's something I very
rarely do.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Peter Cole wrote:

>>> The SH-55 is all I use on all my bikes (road & off-road). I much
>>> prefer them to the single-release version. I've never had a problem,
>>> they've always disengaged when needed and not otherwise.

>> Do you have the release tension set very high?
>>

> No, usually low. The only difference between S-R & M-R cleats is that
> the M-R also release with a foot "roll" (as well as default twist). I
> take some care to ensure that my cleats are mounted such that pressing
> on the pedal doesn't create any roll forces.
>
> I guess it's a matter of trading off potential unintended release vs.
> foot trapping. I have a friend who required extensive surgery and rehab
> to repair a spiral fracture from a foot trap during a low speed fall.

it was their toppling off the bike that caused the injury, not "foot
trap". clipless release every single time in a "real" crash.

> also know several others who were injured from pedal "pull outs", using
> various cleats.

then they're either doing something wrong or using cheapo equipment and
being negligent with maintenance. toe clips are by far one of the best
inventions in the whole evolution of the bicycle. and they are
spectacularly reliable.

> I don't race, so I rarely "pull up" on pedals, and view the practice as
> dangerous.

wow. how did you ever manage back in the days of toe clips? those
things would pull out when you didn't want and trap you when you needed
to release. modern clipless pedals, with unworn cleats and well
adjusted, can withstand the strongest sprinters in the world, yet
release with a few ounces in the right direction, and every single time
you crash.

> When I do, in circumstances like uphill slogs on my fixer,
> I'm careful to anticipate a potential pull out. I think it has only
> happened once, with worn cleats, and I didn't spill. I can't recall ever
> having a problem with release during a downstroke. I suppose that could
> be dangerous during a standing sprint, but that's something I very
> rarely do.

typical peter cole.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Peter Cole wrote:

>>> The SH-55 is all I use on all my bikes (road & off-road). I much
>>> prefer them to the single-release version. I've never had a problem,
>>> they've always disengaged when needed and not otherwise.

>> Do you have the release tension set very high?
>>

> No, usually low. The only difference between S-R & M-R cleats is that
> the M-R also release with a foot "roll" (as well as default twist). I
> take some care to ensure that my cleats are mounted such that pressing
> on the pedal doesn't create any roll forces.
>
> I guess it's a matter of trading off potential unintended release vs.
> foot trapping. I have a friend who required extensive surgery and rehab
> to repair a spiral fracture from a foot trap during a low speed fall. I
> also know several others who were injured from pedal "pull outs", using
> various cleats.
>
> I don't race, so I rarely "pull up" on pedals, and view the practice as
> dangerous. When I do, in circumstances like uphill slogs on my fixer,
> I'm careful to anticipate a potential pull out. I think it has only
> happened once, with worn cleats, and I didn't spill. I can't recall ever
> having a problem with release during a downstroke. I suppose that could
> be dangerous during a standing sprint, but that's something I very
> rarely do.

I have accidentally had release with the "M" cleats while sprinting hard
on a recumbent (so no standing). This has NOT happened with "S" cleats.

I now have "S" cleats on my SiDi shoes, and "M" cleats on my sandals,
which reflects my choice of footwear for different types of riding.

Tom Sherman wrote:

> I have accidentally had release with the "M" cleats while sprinting hard
> on a recumbent (so no standing). This has NOT happened with "S" cleats.
>
> I now have "S" cleats on my SiDi shoes, and "M" cleats on my sandals,
> which reflects my choice of footwear for different types of riding.

I'd be pretty conservative with cleats if I rode a recumbent, too.

Art Harris wrote:
> Fritz wrote:
>> I ride on Nashbar mountain bike pedals (made by Wellgo) for years and
>> they have been, up till last year been a multi release type of pedal.
>> You could twist your foot left of right and disengage or you could
>> tilt you foot outward and release. This last type of release ( the
>> outward tilt one) cost me a painful spill last year. I am now
>> riding the newer version that is single release and the pedal is MUCH
>> more secure.

> If these are similar to Shimano SPD pedals, it's the cleat (not the
> pedal) that determines whether there is single or multiple modes of
> release.
>
> Art Harris

Right, and some of the Wellgo pedals are compatible with Shimano cleats
and some aren't. All of the Wellgo pedals I bought (>10 pairs over the
years) have had single-release cleats (typically "98A", IIRC).

Peter Cole wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> I have accidentally had release with the "M" cleats while sprinting
>> hard on a recumbent (so no standing). This has NOT happened with "S"
>> cleats.
>>
>> I now have "S" cleats on my SiDi shoes, and "M" cleats on my sandals,
>> which reflects my choice of footwear for different types of riding.

> I'd be pretty conservative with cleats if I rode a recumbent, too.

Foot retention is indeed of greater importance to us laid back types.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?