SPD MTB pedals on road bike?

ewiberto

Apr 2, 2006
I used to be a MTB rider but when I moved to San Diego became a road rider in a MTB. I decided I should buy a road bike and I just got a Fuji Roubaix Pro.

I was planning on getting SPD MTB pedals, since I already have the shoes and I'm used to this kind of pedals. The guy at the store said he wouldn't recommend it. ¿Was he just trying to make me buy new shoes and pedals? or will using SPD mountain bike shoes and pedals really affect my riding?

I am not a high performance rider, nor into competition. I just ride for exercise, and do so every weekend for about 30-50 miles.

What's your advice?

ewiberto said:
I used to be a MTB rider but when I moved to San Diego became a road rider in a MTB. I decided I should buy a road bike and I just got a Fuji Roubaix Pro.

I was planning on getting SPD MTB pedals, since I already have the shoes and I'm used to this kind of pedals. The guy at the store said he wouldn't recommend it. ¿Was he just trying to make me buy new shoes and pedals? or will using SPD mountain bike shoes and pedals really affect my riding?

I am not a high performance rider, nor into competition. I just ride for exercise, and do so every weekend for about 30-50 miles.

What's your advice?
Lot's of people ride SPD pedals on road bikes. If you are going to get off the bike and walk around for any amount before, during, and after your rides, regular SPD pedals and shoes are much better. If your rides are: get on the bike, do the ride, get off the bike and hit the showers, then a SPD-SL type (or Look, or other road specific) is better. I love SPD-SL pedals, but the shoes suck for anything more than a little walking around.

I say start with SPDs and if you don't like it, get something else. Your "guy at the store" should be suspected of being an idiot, or having an ulterior motive. Based on your own description of your style of riding (which the store guy obviously did not listen to), I'd say that you'll be just fine with SPD type pedals.

ewiberto said:

What's your advice?
The guy at the store was definitely feeding you a line. Plenty of riders (myself included) ride road bikes with mtb (SPD) pedals. I commute on my bike and my mtb shoes are very comfortable. As another poster noted, if you are going to be walking in your cycling shoes, mtb shoes will be better suited for that. There would be absolutely noproblem using them on your roadie. It amazes me what some bike shop employees will tell some people.

Cheers,

Brian

ewiberto said:
...I was planning on getting SPD MTB pedals, since I already have the shoes and I'm used to this kind of pedals. The guy at the store said he wouldn't recommend it. ..What's your advice?

The main advantage of the road pedals are bigger platform area(more comfy when pushing hard) and less protrusion below the sole (better aerodynamics and better clearence if cornering while pedaling)
I've also heard people say that they have a bigger contact area when pulling as well, which might be an advantage if you're worried about coming unstuck during a hard sprint.
They might be somewhat lighter too.

A road shoe is likely to be more areodynamic than a MTB shoe as well.

The main advantages to MTB pedals is that double sided design makes engagement easier and the advantage to MTB shoes are that they are more suited to a bit of walking as well.

In reality the practical differences are quite small, and unless you're really searching for the optimum set-up there isn't much (if anything) to be lost by using MTB shoes and pedals on a road bike.

ewiberto said:

What's your advice?

another vote that your shop guy was BS'ing you-proably to sell new shoes and pedals.

Many commuters (including me) and tourists use MTB type pedals on road bikes because of the improved walkability and because a few grams of weight, aerodynamics, and aggressive lean angle aren't important in those riding situations.

Sounds like you should just use the same model of pedals for your MTB and road bikes so you can use the same shoes.

John M said:
another vote that your shop guy was BS'ing you-proably to sell new shoes and pedals.

Many commuters (including me) and tourists use MTB type pedals on road bikes because of the improved walkability and because a few grams of weight, aerodynamics, and aggressive lean angle aren't important in those riding situations.

Sounds like you should just use the same model of pedals for your MTB and road bikes so you can use the same shoes.

Sounds like the lbs was feeding you a line. With the amount of kms you are doing, the practicalities of keeping what you have far outweigh the advantages of road shoes and pedals. Double sided pedals will make things easier for you in traffic as well.

Cheers

Geoff