SPD Pedal/Shoe question(s)

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
|| Bonehenge wrote:
||| Check out Time ATAC pedals while you're shopping.
|| Bear in mind, of course, that if you whack these pedals with your
|| feet often enough they'll break.
|| {Really, why?}
|| Because HEELS WOUND ALL TIMES!!!

haha.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:44:31 -0500, Badger <[email protected]> wrote:

>MTB shoes are pretty good. Generally you want one size smaller (but not so
>small they are hard to get on or squeeze your foot. Remember, you won't
>really be walking a lot in these, you want it to be snug and not slide
>around on your foot. However since your pressure is mostly towards the toe
>of the shoe (ymmv), slipping is not a big problem.

Add me to list of don't buy the shoes too small. I bought a second
pair of road shoes, because the first pair could only be worn with the
thinnest of socks. Shoes have straps to snug them up, no sense
cramping your foot. SIDI recommends trying their shoes on in the
evening, when your feet are at their largest.

>Once you get them, be sure and spend an hour riding around in the grass in
>the park learning to clip in and out.

I really don't think you need to ride on grass. I probably would have
fallen over, with my road bike, because of the grass. Just take some
time snapping your feet in and out, then go ride in a no or low
traffic area. Focus on the pedals, remembering to disengage, do it
early enough, so you have time to get out, before stopping.
Also do a search on clipless pedals, this has all been covered
recently.

Life is Good!
Jeff

>-B

"Bonehenge" <[email protected]> wrote

> BTW, if you follow the ages-old practice of bracketing a url, you can
> post it without a third party redirect and avoid wrapping problems.
> Like this:

<http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=108&subcategory=107
7&sku=10990&brand=>

Thanks, I never knew that, I must have been sick that day...

> I know lots of folks who will no longer click on tiny url links,
> especially at work. Too many fist up ass photos!

Thanks for the image (of the image), Barry.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "B i l l S o r n s o n"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bonehenge wrote:
>
>> Check out Time ATAC pedals while you're shopping.

>Bear in mind, of course, that if you whack these pedals with your feet often
>enough they'll break.
>
>{Really, why?}
>
>Because HEELS WOUND ALL TIMES!!!
>
>Thank you. Thankyouverymuch.

I just lost breakfast.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:14:11 -0500, Badger <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:49:11 -0500, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]>
>wrote:

>>I'd have to get off the bike if I wore shoes in a smaller size than my foot
>>requires. As it is, I have to wear my shoes extremely loose or I'll get
>>"hot foot" issues up around 60 miles or so. My shoes have sufficient toe
>>room and fit really well, but those issues crop up after the miles rack up
>>on the SPD pedals with not-so-stiff shoes.

>OK, another vote for loose shoes. I stand corrected. As I said I leaned
>toward slightly snug and got lucky. It may be something to reexamine if I
>get any of your symptoms.
>
>So how's the race preparations coming? You're probably like a racehorse
>penned up eager to get going, eh?
>
>-B

Loose shoes it is then. I can see needing two pairs of socks during
the cold months.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:16:50 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

>Badger <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>If they are made for SPD pedals, generally, yes.

>>Usually the shoes will detail if they are SPD compatible. If browsing you
>>can look on the bottoms of the shoes and tell, usually, if the holes will
>>accept the cleat that comes with the pedal.

>I'm seeing a lot of newer road shoes that won't take the small
>original-style SPD cleats or the longer SPD-R cleats, at least
>not without some sort of adapter. They're all 3-hole drilled,
>which will accept the newer SPD-SL cleat.
>
>Of course, the three cleats are incompatible with each other...

aaarrgghhh!

Roger Zoul wrote:
> I've been ill for two weeks!!! Can't seem to shake it. I'm hoping to
> resume riding this weekend and since I'll have time off next week (holiday),
> I'm planning some makeup riding. I could be in serious trouble here, in
> terms of banging out 100 lbs. I keep telling myself that this Charleston
> century is flat, so that ought to make it easier. Of course, it can get
> windy down by the SC coast, so I hear. We'll see :( I'm a glutton for
> punishment, I guess.

I'm in a similar position, wondering if I can do the flat 100 if I've
only been doing 50 to 70 miles a week (one or two rides of 30 miles or
so and two or three of 10-15 miles--hilly). Hopefully I can get in a 70
or 80 mile ride over Thanksgiving just to make sure I'm not being
foolish. I felt ready to go further when I did the 62 in October, and
that was pretty hilly, but I haven't been able to keep my distances up
since then.

All that assumes that my nuclear stress test the Tuesday after
Thanksgiving comes out normally. I backed out of the
catheterization--insisted on a different test that isn't as accurate but
shows if the heart has good blood flow during exercise (and is a whole
lot less invasive). The cardiologist said to not to ride hard until I
have the results and so I am riding slower, but I decided the stress
relief of riding is more important than minimizing risk.

Pam

pam_in_sc wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| I've been ill for two weeks!!! Can't seem to shake it. I'm hoping
||| to resume riding this weekend and since I'll have time off next
||| week (holiday), I'm planning some makeup riding. I could be in
||| serious trouble here, in terms of banging out 100 lbs. I keep
||| telling myself that this Charleston century is flat, so that ought
||| to make it easier. Of course, it can get windy down by the SC
||| coast, so I hear. We'll see :( I'm a glutton for punishment, I
||| guess.
|| I'm in a similar position, wondering if I can do the flat 100 if I've
|| only been doing 50 to 70 miles a week (one or two rides of 30 miles
|| or
|| so and two or three of 10-15 miles--hilly). Hopefully I can get in
|| a 70
|| or 80 mile ride over Thanksgiving just to make sure I'm not being
|| foolish. I felt ready to go further when I did the 62 in October,
|| and
|| that was pretty hilly, but I haven't been able to keep my distances
|| up
|| since then.

I started antibiotics today, so hopefully this thing I've got will pass
soon. I'm shooting for some major laps around Donaldson Center on Sunday.
Then, the next week I'll ramp up the mileage as hard as I can. I feel
confident that if I can bang out 80 around here, 100 flat in Charleston
ought to be doable, barring strong wind.

|| All that assumes that my nuclear stress test the Tuesday after
|| Thanksgiving comes out normally. I backed out of the
|| catheterization--insisted on a different test that isn't as accurate
|| but shows if the heart has good blood flow during exercise (and is a
|| whole
|| lot less invasive). The cardiologist said to not to ride hard until
|| have the results and so I am riding slower, but I decided the stress
|| relief of riding is more important than minimizing risk.

Wow....I'm hope everything works out okay. Keeping your riding legs will no
doubt help you if they give you the green light.