SPD Pedal Squeak

Larry Bloomfiel

Guest
My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's not
the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
> intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
> not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

Now you need to lube the thing you can not see. IIRC there are inner and outer bearings. Have you
pulled the spindle to check?

- Bellaire, TX USA -

[email protected] (Larry Bloomfield) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
> intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
> not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

Had an identical squeak that turned out to be coming from a rubber contact seal. A small drop of
Boeshield chain lub every few weeks keeps it quiet.

Gene

Try squirting a little 'Pam' on them. (Yes, the stuff you spray into a cooking pot)

This stuff seems to work well on my pedals.

Lewis.

www.tinyurl/8vvh

[email protected] (Larry Bloomfield) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
> intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
> not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

"Larry Bloomfield" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
> intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
> not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

Dammit. You bring bad juju. Now mine squeak too. Or does 105 BB's squeak too? Thought they were
sealed. Everything is brand new btw.

M.

One thing to check would be contact between your rubber cleats and the pedal.

Originally posted by Larry Bloomfiel
My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's not
the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
> > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
> > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks
>
> Now you need to lube the thing you can not see. IIRC there are inner and outer bearings. Have you
> pulled the spindle to check?

Thanks for feedback, Cletus. I've ruled out the bearings - no chirp when I pedal unclipped & only
seems to occur on one side of right pedal. BTW these pedals are a standard ball bearing/race
assembly which I lube w/ spray lithium grease (auto parts store)by removing dustcap, folding back
inner bearing seal & spraying outer bearing while spinning pedals until lube comes out other end.
Replace cap & seal after grease sets (overnight). Beats disassembly

In article <[email protected]>, R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Larry Bloomfiel wrote:
> > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
> > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
> > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks
>
>One thing to check would be contact between your rubber cleats and the pedal.
I'd dump them and get speedplay X3's. they're bombproof, totally silent, way more friendly on the
knees, lighter, and idiot simple to get into/out of. only glitch is you need NEW shoes-soles way
bent out of shape won't work. pcl