SPD Pedal Squeak

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Larry Bloomfiel, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's not
    the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
    > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

    Now you need to lube the thing you can not see. IIRC there are inner and outer bearings. Have you
    pulled the spindle to check?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Gene

    Gene Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Bloomfield) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
    > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

    Had an identical squeak that turned out to be coming from a rubber contact seal. A small drop of
    Boeshield chain lub every few weeks keeps it quiet.

    Gene

  4. Try squirting a little 'Pam' on them. (Yes, the stuff you spray into a cooking pot)

    This stuff seems to work well on my pedals.

    Lewis.

    www.tinyurl/8vvh

    [email protected] (Larry Bloomfield) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
    > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

  5. "Larry Bloomfield" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
    > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks

    Dammit. You bring bad juju. Now mine squeak too. Or does 105 BB's squeak too? Thought they were
    sealed. Everything is brand new btw.

    M.

  6. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    One thing to check would be contact between your rubber cleats and the pedal.

  7. Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    > > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
    > > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks
    >
    > Now you need to lube the thing you can not see. IIRC there are inner and outer bearings. Have you
    > pulled the spindle to check?

    Thanks for feedback, Cletus. I've ruled out the bearings - no chirp when I pedal unclipped & only
    seems to occur on one side of right pedal. BTW these pedals are a standard ball bearing/race
    assembly which I lube w/ spray lithium grease (auto parts store)by removing dustcap, folding back
    inner bearing seal & spraying outer bearing while spinning pedals until lube comes out other end.
    Replace cap & seal after grease sets (overnight). Beats disassembly

  8. rinkedinkus

    rinkedinkus Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Larry Bloomfiel wrote:
    > > My older model 535 SPD pedal, specifically one side of the right pedal, emits a high frequency
    > > intermittent chirp. My cleats are in good shape & I've cleaned/lubed everything I can see. It's
    > > not the bearings - any ideas or am I stuck with this little bird? Thanks
    >
    >One thing to check would be contact between your rubber cleats and the pedal.
    I'd dump them and get speedplay X3's. they're bombproof, totally silent, way more friendly on the
    knees, lighter, and idiot simple to get into/out of. only glitch is you need NEW shoes-soles way
    bent out of shape won't work. pcl