SPD Pontoons

Drew

Guest
I bought my new fancy road shoes with a great carbon fibre sole, but....... My old (shimano road
bought the first day the SPD version came out) had a recessed pocket for the clip, all was right
with the world.

These have "pontoons". They are supposed to keep the cleats off from hitting the ground. The rubber
deteriorates almost immediately. If you haven't seen these beasts they are molded rubber on a metal
shim that attaches to the cleat thru bolts.

The recessed cleat was my main reason for going to SPD in the first place. If the pontoons don't
work that advantage is gone.

Does anyone know of a fix. I am going to try adhering high grade shoe rubber to the bottom directly
as a replacement. I am open to suggestion. I still need the walkablity feature.

Thanks,

Drew

Drew who? writes:

> These have "pontoons". They are supposed to keep the cleats off from hitting the ground. The
> rubber deteriorates almost immediately. If you haven't seen these beasts they are molded rubber on
> a metal shim that attaches to the cleat thru bolts.

> The recessed cleat was my main reason for going to SPD in the first place. If the pontoons don't
> work that advantage is gone.

> Does anyone know of a fix. I am going to try adhering high grade shoe rubber to the bottom
> directly as a replacement. I am open to suggestion. I still need the walkablity feature.

A show repair shop should be able to put new rubber around the cleat recess. Shoemakers have amazing
adhesives and know who to use them. They also have durable resole material that would last.

Meanwhile, you might consider the newer Shimano T092 shoe that is designed for walking and has all
the features you need to ride:

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/footwear/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=SH-T092

I've used this model and its predecessors for years with good results.

Thanks, I did try my local shoe shop. All he did was give me the heavy duty rubber and say good
luck. I will try another shop. Too bad there are so few of them these days.

I am a fairly aggressive rider and put on a fair number of miles. This is why I went for the carbon
sole shoe. I am concerned that the SH-T092 is not built for my style of riding.

I am basing this on the description. What is your experience? It looks very similar to my first
generation road shoes which really where never really quite as stiff a shoe as I prefer.

Drew

Drew writes:

>> A shoe repair shop should be able to put new rubber around the cleat recess. Shoemakers have
>> amazing adhesives and know who to use them. They also have durable resole material that
>> would last.

>> Meanwhile, you might consider the newer Shimano T092 shoe that is designed for walking and has
>> all the features you need to ride:

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/footwear/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=SH-T092

>> I've used this model and its predecessors for years with good results.

> Thanks, I did try my local shoe shop. All he did was give me the heavy duty rubber and say good
> luck. I will try another shop. Too bad there are so few of them these days.

It's got to be a shoe repair shop, you know the kind that resole shoes.

> I am a fairly aggressive rider and put on a fair number of miles. This is why I went for the
> carbon sole shoe. I am concerned that the SH-T092 is not built for my style of riding.

I don't know what you mean by aggressive but these shoes have climbed all sorts of grades with me
and walked over stuff too rough to ride.

> I am basing this on the description. What is your experience? It looks very similar to my first
> generation road shoes which really where never really quite as stiff a shoe as I prefer.

Stiff? All the Shimano shoes have the same impervious structural sole inside of the various models
and it is stiff enough that the pedal is not perceptible to the foot. When was the last time you got
a new Shimano shoe? I've been riding these for a lot of years.

> I bought my new fancy road shoes with a great carbon fibre sole, but....... My old (shimano road
> bought the first day the SPD version came out) had a recessed pocket for the clip, all was right
> with the world.
>
> These have "pontoons". They are supposed to keep the cleats off from hitting the ground. The
> rubber deteriorates almost immediately. If you haven't seen these beasts they are molded rubber on
> a metal shim that attaches to the cleat thru bolts.
>
> The recessed cleat was my main reason for going to SPD in the first place. If the pontoons don't
> work that advantage is gone.
>
> Does anyone know of a fix. I am going to try adhering high grade shoe rubber to the bottom
> directly as a replacement. I am open to suggestion. I still need the walkablity feature.

The pontoons are not made to enable walking per se, but rather to stabilize the shoe with the pedal
(the pontoons keep the cleats from rocking around too much) and add some measure of safety so that,
when you put your foot down or have to walk a short distance, you have more surface area than just
the edges of the cleat to support you.

Pontoons are not a substitute for a recessed sole. If you need to walk much, you've probably got the
wrong shoes for it. There are plenty of recessed-cleat shoes with exceptionally rigid sole, such as
the Sidi Dominator. Not much weight penalty (over a racing-type shoe) either. The main reason many
of our customers still buy racing-type (non recessed) shoes is so they can use them with pedal
systems that aren't compatible with recessed shoes. Such choices would include LOOK, Speedplay
X-series, and the new Shimano SL ("Lance") pedal.

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" .

> The pontoons are not made to enable walking per se, but rather to
stabilize
> the shoe with the pedal (the pontoons keep the cleats from rocking around too much)

I had used a Shimano road shoe with the Ultegra 6500 (I believe) original road SPD pedal for years
without issue, while simultaneously using Shimano 737, 525 and 515 mt. pedals with comparable mt.
shoes. I never had problems with the pontoons on the road shoe and understood it was designed to
give the foot/sole additional support on the pedal, much the same way a lugged
mt. shoe rests on the platform of the mt. pedal. I also began to use regular mt. shoes on these same
pedals with good results, and as Mike J. has suggested, finally switched to a stiff soled racing
style mountain/lugged shoe (also Shimano). The minimal lugs gives good support and has
eliminated the need for a slick soled road shoes and the pontoons.

Steve Bailey

Steve,

"stiff soled racing style mountain/lugged shoe (also Shimano)."

Do you have the model number? I am not sure what the luggs look like. These sound interesting.

Drew

On Sat, 03 May 2003 02:17:14 GMT, "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" .
>>
>> The pontoons are not made to enable walking per se, but rather to
>stabilize
>> the shoe with the pedal (the pontoons keep the cleats from rocking around too much)
>
>I had used a Shimano road shoe with the Ultegra 6500 (I believe) original road SPD pedal for years
>without issue, while simultaneously using Shimano 737, 525 and 515 mt. pedals with comparable mt.
>shoes. I never had problems with the pontoons on the road shoe and understood it was designed to
>give the foot/sole additional support on the pedal, much the same way a lugged
>mt. shoe rests on the platform of the mt. pedal. I also began to use regular mt. shoes on these
> same pedals with good results, and as Mike J. has suggested, finally switched to a stiff soled
> racing style mountain/lugged shoe (also Shimano). The minimal lugs gives good support and has
> eliminated the need for a slick soled road shoes and the pontoons.
>
>Steve Bailey

I have the MO20 'casual shoe' and the sole on that must not be as stiff as some of their other
shoes. I can flex them a lot with my hand and definitely notice a difference between riding them,
and my Sidi Genius's. Do you think this is true of Shimano's 'casual' shoes? I would like to go to
all SPD, but I like the feel of my Sidi/Look a lot better.

> Drew writes:
>
> >> A shoe repair shop should be able to put new rubber around the cleat recess. Shoemakers have
> >> amazing adhesives and know who to use them. They also have durable resole material that would
> >> last.
>
> >> Meanwhile, you might consider the newer Shimano T092 shoe that is designed for walking and has
> >> all the features you need to ride:

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/footwear/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=SH-T092

> >> I've used this model and its predecessors for years with good results.
>
> > Thanks, I did try my local shoe shop. All he did was give me the heavy duty rubber and say good
> > luck. I will try another shop. Too bad there are so few of them these days.
>
> It's got to be a shoe repair shop, you know the kind that resole shoes.
>
> > I am a fairly aggressive rider and put on a fair number of miles. This is why I went for the
> > carbon sole shoe. I am concerned that the SH-T092 is not built for my style of riding.
>
> I don't know what you mean by aggressive but these shoes have climbed all sorts of grades with me
> and walked over stuff too rough to ride.
>
> > I am basing this on the description. What is your experience? It looks very similar to my first
> > generation road shoes which really where never really quite as stiff a shoe as I prefer.
>
> Stiff? All the Shimano shoes have the same impervious structural sole inside of the various models
> and it is stiff enough that the pedal is not perceptible to the foot. When was the last time you
> got a new Shimano shoe? I've been riding these for a lot of years.

> "stiff soled racing style mountain/lugged shoe (also Shimano)."
>
> Do you have the model number? I am not sure what the luggs look like. These sound interesting.
>
> Drew

<snip>

I know the new Nike mtn shoes are similar to their Poggios, which are very light and very stiff. The
M220s I have are as stiff, but not as light. The M220s are definitely not the best for walking long
distances, but boy are they stiff!

Mike

I just ordered a set of T092's from performance Friday, waiting for them to come in. Needed a
walkable shoe and kept seeing them recommended. They did have the T091 on sale for 50 in the lates
flyer, but when I called it was size 40 or smaller. Anyway, I was going on this groups
recommendation on the purchase, hope they work out good. Going to use the multi angle cleat (55?)
with them, or should I stick with the 51 series cleat?

[email protected] wrote:

> Drew writes:
>
>>> A shoe repair shop should be able to put new rubber around the cleat recess. Shoemakers have
>>> amazing adhesives and know who to use them. They also have durable resole material that
>>> would last.
>
>>> Meanwhile, you might consider the newer Shimano T092 shoe that is designed for walking and has
>>> all the features you need to ride:

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/footwear/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=SH-T092

>>> I've used this model and its predecessors for years with good results.
>
>> Thanks, I did try my local shoe shop. All he did was give me the heavy duty rubber and say good
>> luck. I will try another shop. Too bad there are so few of them these days.
>
> It's got to be a shoe repair shop, you know the kind that resole shoes.
>
>> I am a fairly aggressive rider and put on a fair number of miles. This is why I went for the
>> carbon sole shoe. I am concerned that the SH-T092 is not built for my style of riding.
>
> I don't know what you mean by aggressive but these shoes have climbed all sorts of grades with me
> and walked over stuff too rough to ride.
>
>> I am basing this on the description. What is your experience? It looks very similar to my first
>> generation road shoes which really where never really quite as stiff a shoe as I prefer.
>
> Stiff? All the Shimano shoes have the same impervious structural sole inside of the various models
> and it is stiff enough that the pedal is not perceptible to the foot. When was the last time you
> got a new Shimano shoe? I've been riding these for a lot of years.

Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 When someone says "I want a programming language in which I need only say what I wish done,"
give him a lollipop.

Mark Wolfe wrote:

> I just ordered a set of T092's from performance Friday, waiting for them to come in. Needed a
> walkable shoe and kept seeing them recommended. They did have the T091 on sale for 50 in the lates
> flyer, but when I called it was size 40 or smaller. Anyway, I was going on this groups
> recommendation on the purchase, hope they work out good. Going to use the multi angle cleat (55?)
> with them, or should I stick with the 51 series cleat?

I've been using the T091 shoe for a few months and like it a lot. The only annoying thing is it
squeaks on long climbs out of the saddle. It doesn't annoy me, only the people around me. I use the
multi-angle cleat. It's a well ventilated shoe, too ventilated for a cold day, but booties are small
and easy to put on.

Mark Wolfe writes:

> I just ordered a set of T092's from performance Friday, waiting for them to come in. Needed a
> walkable shoe and kept seeing them recommended. They did have the T091 on sale for 50 in the lates
> flyer, but when I called it was size 40 or smaller. Anyway, I was going on this groups
> recommendation on the purchase, hope they work out good. Going to use the multi angle cleat (55?)
> with them, or should I stick with the 51 series cleat?

I prefer the SM-SH51 cleat because it has little float and releases more reliably after wet or dirt
intrusion into the pedal/cleat interface. If release seems unevenly tight at such times, a drop of
oil under the rear tang of the cleat helps.

> Mark Wolfe writes:
>
> > I just ordered a set of T092's from performance Friday,
waiting for
> > them to come in. Needed a walkable shoe and kept seeing
them
> > recommended. They did have the T091 on sale for 50 in
the lates
> > flyer, but when I called it was size 40 or smaller.
Anyway, I was
> > going on this groups recommendation on the purchase,
hope they work
> > out good. Going to use the multi angle cleat (55?)
with them, or
> > should I stick with the 51 series cleat?
>
> I prefer the SM-SH51 cleat because it has little float and
releases
> more reliably after wet or dirt intrusion into the
pedal/cleat
> interface. If release seems unevenly tight at such times,
a drop of
> oil under the rear tang of the cleat helps.

I agree. No one else seems to have noticed this. I guess I'm not nuts after all. I much prefer the
"single release" cleats. They also seem to last longer.

I also put a drop of oil on my cleats or on the pedal contact points. Lately, I've been spraying the
pedals with silicone lube or Pam, which also works, and helps shed mud.

That said, while I prefer the 51s, I'll ride happily with either one.

Finally, don't let anyone sell you Ritchey or Winwood cleats to use with Shimano pedals. They're
workable, but not very smooth. Mostly they're hard to clip in with, but they can be hard to unclip
too. Spend the extra money, if that's the issue.

Matt O.