SPD QUestion (Hesitant to Try something)

Rad

Guest
I have a quick question. I just installed SPD pedals on my Jekyll 600. Now
I'm trying to do a little bit of jumping with my bike, but am hesitant to do
it with SPDs on. NOw will the SPD only disengage sideways? Or will it
disengage if I hit something a a hard forward motion is felt on my feet? I
don;t want the bike flying with me when I fly off the bike. I have images
of broekn legs. HEH HEH. ANy help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Radley

"Rad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a quick question. I just installed SPD pedals on my Jekyll 600.

Now
> I'm trying to do a little bit of jumping with my bike, but am hesitant to

do
> it with SPDs on. NOw will the SPD only disengage sideways? Or will it
> disengage if I hit something a a hard forward motion is felt on my feet?

> don;t want the bike flying with me when I fly off the bike. I have images
> of broekn legs. HEH HEH. ANy help will be appreciated. Thanks.
> Radley

Can you jump and land with flat pedals? If you can then spds should be no
problems since your feet isn't going to be moving around while in the air or
landing.

If you can't then yes your feet can disengage from spds with wrong foot
action. (been there, done that and spds can put a ugly dent in your shin
like bearclaw flats)

If you can't jump with flat pedals then you should practice with flat pedals
first to learn the proper jumping and landing technique. Jumping with spds
should be a breeze once you mastered flats.

"Rad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a quick question. I just installed SPD pedals on my Jekyll 600.

Now
> I'm trying to do a little bit of jumping with my bike

Assuming you know the basics there is nothing wrong with keeping the spd's
on if you're taking on the occasional jump, but if you're jumping regularly
then I suggest you swap to flats. You're technique will improve and it makes
bailing a lot easier...

Steve.

Rad wrote:
> I have a quick question. I just installed SPD pedals on my Jekyll
> 600. Now I'm trying to do a little bit of jumping with my bike, but
> am hesitant to do it with SPDs on. NOw will the SPD only disengage
> sideways? Or will it disengage if I hit something a a hard forward
> motion is felt on my feet? I don;t want the bike flying with me when
> I fly off the bike. I have images of broekn legs. HEH HEH. ANy help
> will be appreciated. Thanks.
> Radley

I've found that your legs rarely break.
It's much more likely to be your skull and face as the bike comes down on
top of you.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Rad wrote:
>> I have a quick question. I just installed SPD pedals on my Jekyll
>> 600. Now I'm trying to do a little bit of jumping with my bike, but
>> am hesitant to do it with SPDs on. NOw will the SPD only disengage
>> sideways? Or will it disengage if I hit something a a hard forward
>> motion is felt on my feet? I don;t want the bike flying with me when
>> I fly off the bike. I have images of broekn legs. HEH HEH. ANy help
>> will be appreciated. Thanks.
>> Radley

> I've found that your legs rarely break.
> It's much more likely to be your skull and face as the bike comes down on
> top of you.

Heh. I went OTB last Sunday (tried to cross a rut that bisected the trail
on a steep descent and didn't hop my front wheel up enough). I ended up
several feet away from the bike, so apparently I didn't stay clipped in. :)

As I side note, I actually had a moment of total inner-peace during the
crash. I must have been flying on my back, suspended several feet in the
air. Weightless, I couldn't see the ground rushing toward me, just blue
sky, and during that one second I actually said to myself "hey, this isn't
too bad"....WHAM!!!

Brett Jaffee wrote:
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Rad wrote:
>>> I have a quick question. I just installed SPD pedals on my Jekyll
>>> 600. Now I'm trying to do a little bit of jumping with my bike, but
>>> am hesitant to do it with SPDs on. NOw will the SPD only disengage
>>> sideways? Or will it disengage if I hit something a a hard forward
>>> motion is felt on my feet? I don;t want the bike flying with me
>>> when I fly off the bike. I have images of broekn legs. HEH HEH.
>>> ANy help will be appreciated. Thanks.
>>> Radley

>> I've found that your legs rarely break.
>> It's much more likely to be your skull and face as the bike comes
>> down on top of you.

> Heh. I went OTB last Sunday (tried to cross a rut that bisected the
> trail on a steep descent and didn't hop my front wheel up enough). I
> ended up several feet away from the bike, so apparently I didn't stay
> clipped in. :)
>
> As I side note, I actually had a moment of total inner-peace during
> the crash. I must have been flying on my back, suspended several
> feet in the air. Weightless, I couldn't see the ground rushing
> toward me, just blue sky, and during that one second I actually said
> to myself "hey, this isn't too bad"....WHAM!!!

I had the "bike into the head" when I stuffed my AC shoulder joint a couple
of years back. At medium speed, I discovered a large deep hole in the
middle of a trail, tried to messily manual it, somersaulted OTB with bike
still clipped in, and I got my arm up just in time to deflect the bike as
it/we landed. Glad I had my helmet on because the chainring took a chunk
out of the side of the helmet and somethingelse (pedal? crank arm?) thumped
my face giving me a great black eye.

Everytime I think of going OTB while clipped in I think of that episode of
'Northern Exposure' when they were going to hurl the cow.