SPD-R Cleats/Shoes... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by chitownbuck, May 3, 2004.

1. chitownbuck

chitownbuck New Member

OK, I feel really stupid. I just bought a new Trek 5200 and am just now getting into the clipless phase of my life. I bought two pair of beginner cycling shoes... Adidas Girano and Nike Gregario. I have multiple questions. 1. This is dumb, but how do all the pieces fit together in attaching the cleats to the shoes? (Does anyone have photos or a how-to sketch?). 2. The Adidas have an insert that goes inside the shoe to convert it to SPD-R. But there is a gap of over 1/4" between the hard bottom sole of the shoe and the insert. How does this work? 3. There were rectangular pieces of rubber that came with the Adidas... what are they for?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!!

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/PD/si_images/PD_R600-540_SI.pdf

I don't know those shoes, but if you can't figure them out, take a trip back to your shop and have them help you.

3. chitownbuck

chitownbuck New Member

Thanks for the Shimano pdf. That's what I needed. It was the bike shop that configured them incorrectly to begin with. If I could get a straight answer out of most of the either A. Young mountain bike/bmx riders who don't give a damn about customer service or B. Older shop owners who wonder why their attitude sends you elsewhere to buy anything important (like my $2700 bike bought somewhere other than Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Deerfield, Wheaton, Winfield or the other 5 places in the area that I went). If I felt that was a viable option I would not have posted my question here.

4. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I suggest a trip to the REI stores. Toshi runs the shop in Niles and Aron in Oakbrook Terrace. The people there are customer service oriented and will help you with any bicycle repair, shoe, pedal, etc. that they can. I don't get the problems with those shops, but you are entitled to vote with your feet... not to mention with your wallet. You can tell by Andrew Muzi, Peter Chisholm, and Sheldon Brown that there are people in the industry that have the knowledge and the attitude to provide what the customer needs and wants.