SPD road shoe

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
I've looking everywhere for a road shoe with a recessed SPD cleat. The only one I've found is the shimano RT50, unfortunately they are very narrow and hurt my feet (REI was the ONLY store that carries them). I've also tried to find a MTB shoe without the heavy duty "lunar landing treads". I currently use a SPD touring shoe but I'm looking for something with a stiffer sole as I get more aggressive with my riding. I love my Shimano SPD road pedals so I'd hate to switch to another cleat system.
Another reason to keep the recessed cleat is that often I have to walk my road bike through a hiking trail (about 300 yards) to get to where I ride because it's impossible to use the roads due to intense traffic and no traffic light at the entry to my neighborhood; so rather than waiting for ever, i often just take the trail across the back to get to a quiet street and start my rides.

Does anybody know of a MTB shoe with a "very light tread" or another SPD road shoe?

I use NorthWave Aerator, Aerator SBS and Celcius. Nice and stiff soles. I don't tend to walk about as much as many others I see when I MTB, so they may be too stiff for you.