SPD Setup tips...?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Clive Wilson, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Clive Wilson

    Clive Wilson Guest

    No doubt this has been discussed over and over but as a newcomer to SPDs I'd appreciate some input.

    I seem to remember reading yonks ago that setting-up SPDs incorrectly can be uncomfortable at best,
    and do knee damage at worst. It just seems incredible to me how hit-and-miss the fitting is for the
    plate in the shoe (I'm talking recessed here) and with no guidance provided for the plates position,
    i.e. front/back, left/right, toe in/out.

    I'd appreciate any help or even somewher else I can look on the web for more info.

    Thanks.

    PS. Appreciate you replying also to [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    Start by having your cleats centered on the shoe, since spd has a reletively narrow float you are
    going to have to experiment on what works best for your foot. Hard bottom and not rubber bottom
    shoes work best since its easier to slide into spds that thread the needle and clip right in. I
    recommend starting with spring tension as loose as possible to get use to releasing. I went with the
    time petals after not getting enough float with the spds but with more float you have to move the
    heal more to get out. Times way easier to clip in than spds but sometimes the click sound is
    missing. Good luck!

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

    "Clive Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No doubt this has been discussed over and over but as a newcomer to SPDs
    I'd
    > appreciate some input.
    >
    > I seem to remember reading yonks ago that setting-up SPDs incorrectly can
    be
    > uncomfortable at best, and do knee damage at worst. It just seems
    incredible
    > to me how hit-and-miss the fitting is for the plate in the shoe (I'm
    talking
    > recessed here) and with no guidance provided for the plates position, i.e. front/back, left/right,
    > toe in/out.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help or even somewher else I can look on the web for
    more
    > info.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS. Appreciate you replying also to [email protected]

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Clive Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No doubt this has been discussed over and over but as a newcomer to SPDs
    I'd
    > appreciate some input.
    >
    > I seem to remember reading yonks ago that setting-up SPDs incorrectly can
    be
    > uncomfortable at best, and do knee damage at worst. It just seems
    incredible
    > to me how hit-and-miss the fitting is for the plate in the shoe (I'm
    talking
    > recessed here) and with no guidance provided for the plates position, i.e. front/back, left/right,
    > toe in/out.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help or even somewher else I can look on the web for
    more
    > info.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS. Appreciate you replying also to [email protected]

    Standing with your feet shoulder width apart, gave a friend with a marker find the center of the big
    bump on the inside of your foot and mark it. That gives you a rough center of the ball of your foot
    measurement. Put the centerline of the SPD cleat on that line.

    Then I used to use a ruler to angle the cleats to just on the outside of the heel of the shoe, while
    lining up with the center of the toe of the shoe. That'll give you a rough angle to start with. The
    ruler needs to go straight down the centerline of the cleat (fore/aft). Line up the point on the
    front of the cleat with the middle of the point underneath the place where the pedal locks on.

    That what you're looking for? Works fairly well for a lot of different setups, just adjust for where
    the centers of the cleats are.

    Mike

  4. "Clive Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > No doubt this has been discussed over and over but as a newcomer to SPDs I'd appreciate
    > some input.
    >
    > I seem to remember reading yonks ago that setting-up SPDs incorrectly can be uncomfortable at
    > best, and do knee damage at worst. It just seems incredible to me how hit-and-miss the fitting is
    > for the plate in the shoe (I'm talking recessed here) and with no guidance provided for the plates
    > position, i.e. front/back, left/right, toe in/out.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help or even somewher else I can look on the web for more info.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS. Appreciate you replying also to [email protected]
    Just stick them on there and see where your foot is when it's on the pedal. you won't get it where
    you want it the first time. I set mine so it's largely over the ball of my foot and so my feet point
    out a bit as they do when I walk. I changed them incrementally several time. Worry less about what
    the doomsayers say. Your common sense will prevail.

  5. > I seem to remember reading yonks ago that setting-up SPDs incorrectly can
    be
    > uncomfortable at best, and do knee damage at worst. It just seems
    incredible
    > to me how hit-and-miss the fitting is for the plate in the shoe (I'm
    talking
    > recessed here) and with no guidance provided for the plates position, i.e. front/back, left/right,
    > toe in/out.

    We've got some info regarding setup of cleats on our website at-

    http://www.ChainReaction.com/pedalfaq.htm

    Scroll down the page a bit to the part that talks about proper cleat position being important (about
    2/3rds down the page).