SPD shoe question

Alan

Guest
I have just this year started using SPD pedals/shoes. I even invested in some Altura shoe covers
which work well except for the ingress of water through the sole where the cleat sits.

Do I just seal up the access with some form of sealant?

Can anyone give me their solution or is this unusual in an SPD shoe? (It was raining heavily today)

Alan

Alan wrote:
> I have just this year started using SPD pedals/shoes. I even invested in some Altura shoe covers
> which work well except for the ingress of water through the sole where the cleat sits.
>
> Do I just seal up the access with some form of sealant?
>
> Can anyone give me their solution or is this unusual in an SPD shoe? (It was raining
> heavily today)
>
> Alan

Most shoes have some kind of rubber pad to stick on the inside and keep water out. IIRC it comes
with the cleats, or used to. I'd just use sealant if it does the job, but it will be slightly more
difficult to change the cleats when they wear out.

Sidi shoes don't suffer from this because everything is outside the sole, but apparently stripped
threads aren't unheard of.

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have just this year started using SPD pedals/shoes. I even invested in some Altura shoe covers
> which work well except for the ingress of water through the sole where the cleat sits.

> Do I just seal up the access with some form of sealant?

> Can anyone give me their solution or is this unusual in an SPD shoe? (It was raining
> heavily today)

> Alan

This is usual with spds and I've never found the sometimes provided internal sticky back 'seal's to
be much good.

I seal them up with ordinary silicon sealant applied from one of those frame and tube jobs that was
left over from some building work. Tubes of silicon gasket sealant from car bits shops are just as
good. Make sure you're happy with the cleat position first. You need to get it right in behind the
cleat, wipe off the excess and let it dry overnight. Can be a smelly, messy job but should only need
doing once!

Nik

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have just this year started using SPD pedals/shoes. I even invested in some Altura shoe covers
> which work well except for the ingress of water through the sole where the cleat sits.
>
> Do I just seal up the access with some form of sealant?
>
> Can anyone give me their solution or is this unusual in an SPD shoe? (It
was
> raining heavily today)

I think it might be the shoes. I haven't had this problem with the one pair of SPD shoes I own. I
had some water ingress into my Look shoes the other day, despite using Altura overshoes, but that
was when I went through a puddle - it simply came up under the overshoes and went through the
ventilation slots at the side of the shoe. But no water ingress through the sole there either.

Rich