SPD-SL pedal

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by C_ronin_v, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. C_ronin_v

    C_ronin_v Guest

    Has anyone personally had any experience with the new Shimano SPD-SL pedals?

    Tags:

  2. Jack Pine

    Jack Pine Guest

    If Lance likes them, the must be good

    Jack

  3. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

  4. catbsq

    catbsq Guest

    Yea...I'm sure all the money that Shimano throws at him has nothing to do with it...

    "Jack Pine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If Lance likes them, the must be good
    >
    > Jack

  5. Dave Hansen

    Dave Hansen Guest

  6. catbsq

    catbsq Guest

    Winning = money. Lance is all about the money.

    "Per Elms├Ąter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Yea...I'm sure all the money that Shimano throws at him has nothing to
    do
    > > with it...
    > >

    > After reading his book, It's not all about the bike, I agree with you. The money isn't as
    > important to him as winning is.
    >
    > --
    > Replace the dots to reply
    >
    > Perre

  7. catbsq

    catbsq Guest

    Lance, as well as many other Shimano sponsored riders, used the old Look-compatible Shimano pedal
    because the SPD and SPD-R pedals suck. I'm certain that there are lots of consumers out there who
    love them but if it was a good design then Lance and the rest would have used them. If Shimano
    believed in the SPD/SPD-R pedal they would not have redesigned their road pedal. Does Lance use the
    new Shimano pedals, and Shimano products in general, because:

    - Shimano products are superior to their competitors products? No.
    - Lance has brand loyalty to Shimano? No.
    - Shimano pays Lance seven figures to use the stuff? Yes.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Lance for taking the money. An athletes ability to earn money
    competing does not last forever and he's getting it while he can.

    Consumers should not believe that Lance has tried the new Look, Campagnolo, Time, Speedplay and
    Shimano pedals and has decided to use Shimano because they work the best. There are lots of
    pedals on the market that would please Lance. He rides Shimano because they offered to write the
    biggest check.

  8. [email protected] wrote:

    > I'm certain that there are lots of consumers out there who love them but if it was a good design
    > then Lance and the rest would have used them.

    Oh, please.

    So the those "lots of consumers out there who love them" are simply ignorant, and do not recognize
    that the SPD design is "not good?" They seem to work just fine. If they are generally "not good,"
    why aren't people abandoning them en masse?

    What does Lance know about my feet that I don't know? What does Lance know about my pedals that I
    don't know? What does Lance know about my bikes that I don't know?

    "It's not about the pedals."

    > If Shimano believed in the SPD/SPD-R pedal they would not have redesigned their road pedal.

    How do you figure? They (and copycats) still sell a lot of them. That sounds like a "good
    design" to me.

    > Does Lance use the new Shimano pedals, and Shimano products in general, because:
    >
    > - Shimano products are superior to their competitors products? No.

    How could the components used by a any sponsored professional uniquely determine what products are
    "superior?" Does anyone believe that Lance could not have won the TdF with Campy? So why is your
    question asked in the first place? If "what pros use" doesn't say what is good, then you can't say
    that SPD pedals are good or bad based on whether or not a pro uses them.

    > - Lance has brand loyalty to Shimano? No.

    What does this have to do with anything? What does it answer?

    > - Shimano pays Lance seven figures to use the stuff? Yes.

    So then "what Lance uses" has little to do with what is really superior. Make up your mind.

    > Consumers should not believe that Lance has tried the new Look, Campagnolo, Time, Speedplay and
    > Shimano pedals and has decided to use Shimano because they work the best.

    Then why should we assume that anything a sponsored rider uses indicates too much regarding design
    quality? (I don't make the assupmtion -- short of clear failures, product use by a pro only says a
    product *may* be successfully used by others.) So we don't know much regarding "how good SPD is" for
    road users based on what any sponsored rider does. About the most we can say about Lance's rejection
    of SPD-R is that he didn't personally like them. It signals nothing other than a personal choice and
    that does not translate into "SPD is not a good design."

    > There are lots of pedals on the market that would please Lance. He rides Shimano because they
    > offered to write the biggest check.

    Maybe, but I doubt you really have that much inside information to really know how much influence
    the Shimano check _alone_ has. Shimano's sponsorship is certainly only a fractional amount of
    Lance's total earnings. What is the fraction? How much does he care to twist the screw and get a bit
    more out of this particular sponsor? All said, he might be fairly content with the equipment and the
    check -- that means any other sponsor would need to overcome that inertia to draw him away.

    GGGOOOOOOOO LLLLLLLLLLLAAAAANNNNNNCCCCCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!