SPD-SL Pedal's Lateral Movement???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ryan Bates, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Ryan Bates

    Ryan Bates Guest

    hi, just started riding the newer shimano spd-sl pedals.
    seems that even though my cleats are secured well in
    position on my shoes, there is still the ability for the
    cleat to slide sideways 1 or 2 centimeters. i'm not talking
    about the small amount of float, i'm talking about the
    entire cleat shifting from one side of the pedal to the
    other. i would prefer my shoes be as close to the crank arms
    as possible without touching, but once i start riding i
    notice that no matter what i do the cleats/shoe shift to the
    outsides of the pedals, leaving a several centimeter gap
    between the edge of my shoe and the crank arms, and yet it's
    not the cleats shifting on the shoe. what gives??? thanks
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Ryan Bates wrote:

    > hi, just started riding the newer shimano spd-sl pedals.
    > seems that even though my cleats are secured well in
    > position on my shoes, there is still the ability for the
    > cleat to slide sideways 1 or 2 centimeters. i'm not
    > talking about the small amount of float, i'm talking about
    > the entire cleat shifting from one side of the pedal to
    > the other.
    [...]

    I had the same impression- not really two centimeters, but
    it might feel that way on the down stroke. The fixed,
    "zero float" cleat solved this problem for me. The fixed
    cleat is visually distinguished by red rubber tips,
    instead of yellow.

    Shimano part number SM-SH10

    Nicholas Grieco

  3. Ryan Bates

    Ryan Bates Guest

    [email protected] (Nicholas) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ryan Bates wrote:
    >
    > > hi, just started riding the newer shimano spd-sl pedals.
    > > seems that even though my cleats are secured well in
    > > position on my shoes, there is still the ability for the
    > > cleat to slide sideways 1 or 2 centimeters. i'm not
    > > talking about the small amount of float, i'm talking
    > > about the entire cleat shifting from one side of the
    > > pedal to the other.
    > [...]
    >
    > I had the same impression- not really two centimeters, but
    > it might feel that way on the down stroke. The fixed,
    > "zero float" cleat solved this problem for me. The fixed
    > cleat is visually distinguished by red rubber tips,
    > instead of yellow.
    >
    > Shimano part number SM-SH10
    >
    > Nicholas Grieco

    Yeah, but even with the float model, shouldn't it just be
    the rear of the cleat that floats, not the entire cleat?
    Even on Speedplay that has tons of float, the cleat itself
    does not move laterally. (ie it floats in a circular motion,
    rather than a lateral side-to-side cleat movement). why on
    earth would you want your cleats to slide to the outside of
    the pedal axel??? thanks much

  4. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Ryan Bates wrote:

    > > > hi, just started riding the newer shimano spd-sl
    > > > pedals. seems that even though my cleats are secured
    > > > well in position on my shoes, there is still the
    > > > ability for the cleat to slide sideways 1 or 2
    > > > centimeters. i'm not talking about the small amount of
    > > > float, i'm talking about the entire cleat shifting
    > > > from one side of the pedal to the other.
    > > [...]

    I replied:
    > > I had the same impression- not really two centimeters,
    > > but it might feel that way on the down stroke. The
    > > fixed, "zero float" cleat solved this problem for me.
    > > The fixed cleat is visually distinguished by red rubber
    > > tips, instead of yellow.
    > >
    > > Shimano part number SM-SH10

    Ryan:
    > Yeah, but even with the float model, shouldn't it just be
    > the rear of the cleat that floats, not the entire cleat?
    > Even on Speedplay that has tons of float, the cleat itself
    > does not move laterally. (ie it floats in a circular
    > motion, rather than a lateral side-to-side cleat
    > movement).
    [...]

    What can I tell you? Shimano designed the SPD-SL float to be
    different.

    For people who haven't tried these pedals with floating
    cleats: The front of the cleat can move side to side,
    relative to the front of the pedal, and the back of the
    cleat can move side to side, relative to the back of the
    pedal, independently. This gives your entire foot the
    freedom to move laterally.

    When I first got them, I rode the floating cleats for about
    ten miles- felt like I had a layer of ice between my shoe
    and the pedal, and the shoe tended toward the outside of the
    pedal, as you describe. I swapped them for fixed cleats, and
    haven't worried about it since.

    [...]
    > why on earth would you want your cleats to slide to the
    > outside of the pedal axel???

    It's possible that not everyone experiences this problem. My
    feet are in mild supination. Riders with neutral or pronated
    feet, or riders who have shoes with different support, might
    not have a tendency to slide to the outside of the pedal.

    Different people like different float. I ride Looks with the
    floating cleats, and SPD-SL with fixed.

    I hope this helps. If you try the SPD-SL fixed cleat, please
    post a follow up.

    Nicholas

  5. [email protected] (Ryan Bates) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Nicholas) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Ryan Bates wrote:
    > >
    > > > hi, just started riding the newer shimano spd-sl
    > > > pedals. seems that even though my cleats are secured
    > > > well in position on my shoes, there is still the
    > > > ability for the cleat to slide sideways 1 or 2
    > > > centimeters. i'm not talking about the small amount of
    > > > float, i'm talking about the entire cleat shifting
    > > > from one side of the pedal to the other.
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > I had the same impression- not really two centimeters,
    > > but it might feel that way on the down stroke. The
    > > fixed, "zero float" cleat solved this problem for me.
    > > The fixed cleat is visually distinguished by red rubber
    > > tips, instead of yellow.
    > >
    > > Shimano part number SM-SH10
    > >
    > > Nicholas Grieco
    >
    > Yeah, but even with the float model, shouldn't it just be
    > the rear of the cleat that floats, not the entire cleat?
    > Even on Speedplay that has tons of float, the cleat itself
    > does not move laterally. (ie it floats in a circular
    > motion, rather than a lateral side-to-side cleat
    > movement). why on earth would you want your cleats to
    > slide to the outside of the pedal axel??? thanks much

    A lot of Tour de Frances were won on pedals where the cleat
    is free to move laterally. First one may have been LeMond in
    1989. I think he switched to the lateral pedal in 1989. And
    Indurain used those lateral pedals for 5 consecutive Tours.
    Plus a Giro in there too. And then along came Riis and Jan.
    I think Riis used the lateral pedal. And Jan used the pedal
    to win the Vuelta too. Even Marco used the lateral pedal.

    The pedals with lateral moving cleats are well proven
    performers in professional racing.

  6. Ryan Bates

    Ryan Bates Guest

    [email protected] (Russell Seaton) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Ryan Bates) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Nicholas) wrote in message news-
    > > :<[email protected]>...

    > > > [...]
    > > >
    > > > I had the same impression- not really two centimeters,
    > > > but it might feel that way on the down stroke. The
    > > > fixed, "zero float" cleat solved this problem for me.
    > > > The fixed cleat is visually distinguished by red
    > > > rubber tips, instead of yellow.
    > > >
    > > > Shimano part number SM-SH10
    > > >
    > > > Nicholas Grieco
    > >
    > > Yeah, but even with the float model, shouldn't it just
    > > be the rear of the cleat that floats, not the entire
    > > cleat? Even on Speedplay that has tons of float, the
    > > cleat itself does not move laterally. (ie it floats in a
    > > circular motion, rather than a lateral side-to-side
    > > cleat movement). why on earth would you want your cleats
    > > to slide to the outside of the pedal axel??? thanks much
    >
    > A lot of Tour de Frances were won on pedals where the
    > cleat is free to move laterally. First one may have been
    > LeMond in 1989. I think he switched to the lateral pedal
    > in 1989. And Indurain used those lateral pedals for 5
    > consecutive Tours. Plus a Giro in there too. And then
    > along came Riis and Jan. I think Riis used the lateral
    > pedal. And Jan used the pedal to win the Vuelta too. Even
    > Marco used the lateral pedal.
    >
    > The pedals with lateral moving cleats are well proven
    > performers in professional racing.

    good point Nicholas, my feet supinate quite a bit, probably
    pushing the pedals to the outside. thanks for the answers, i
    didn't realize that on the floating model, with shimano
    anyway, that the whole cleat actually had the ability to
    move. think i'll switch to fixed position! i have to pairs
    of the floaters in perfect condition, so if anyone wants to
    trade for fixed let me know! thanks much

  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 16 Mar 2004 05:48:49 -0800, [email protected] (Ryan Bates)
    wrote:
    >good point Nicholas, my feet supinate quite a bit, probably
    >pushing the pedals to the outside. thanks for the answers,
    >i didn't realize that on the floating model, with shimano
    >anyway, that the whole cleat actually had the ability to
    >move. think i'll switch to fixed position!

    You may be able to modify fixed cleats to float the way you
    like. Based on the pictures at bike.shimano.com, it appears
    that the front float is controlled by the red bit, and the
    rear is controlled by some black protrusions. You may be
    able to file the rear-float-tabs on a fixed cleat to match a
    float cleat, possibly resulting in rear float.

    Doing so may require some modification to the front-float
    bit, too, which may not even be able to rotate-in-place. I
    have no idea how SPD-SL pedals work or look, having never
    seen or used one.

    >i have to pairs of the floaters in perfect condition, so if
    >anyone wants to trade for fixed let me know! thanks much

    We don't want your stinking floaters! Gross! <G>
    --
    Rick Onanian