SPD-SL Pedals

Kalukis

Guest
I'm thinking about replacing the off-brand Look style cleats I have on my road bike. I've heard some
good/some bad about the new SPD-SL cleats from Shimano. Does anybody have any experience with the
Ultegra SPD-SL cleats?

Thanks

Kalukis wrote:

> I'm thinking about replacing the off-brand Look style cleats I have on my road bike. I've heard
> some good/some bad about the new SPD-SL cleats from Shimano. Does anybody have any experience with
> the Ultegra SPD-SL cleats?
>
> Thanks

While you're shopping, take a look at Speedplay's offerings.

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kalukis wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking about replacing the off-brand Look style cleats I
have on my
> > road bike. I've heard some good/some bad about the new SPD-SL
cleats from
> > Shimano. Does anybody have any experience with the Ultegra SPD-SL
cleats?

> > Thanks
>
> While you're shopping, take a look at Speedplay's offerings.

Why? The OP is currently using Look-style pedals and has mentioned no problems with them. Seems to
me should be looking for a new pedal that is similar.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

mottley-<< I'm thinking about replacing the off-brand Look style cleats I have on my road bike. I've
heard some good/some bad about the new SPD-SL cleats from Shimano. Does anybody have any experience
with the Ultegra SPD-SL cleats?

First gen of cleats broke. shimano did a mini-recall..

Campagnolo Centaur are cheaper and lighter tho-

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> mottley-<< I'm thinking about replacing the off-brand Look style cleats I have on my road bike.
> I've heard some good/some bad about the new SPD-SL cleats from Shimano. Does anybody have any
> experience with the Ultegra SPD-SL cleats?
>
> First gen of cleats broke. shimano did a mini-recall..

How did they brake? I just rode mine (PD-R600) about 300 k and all of a sudden a bolt started
unscrewing. The thread did not like this and I had a hard time getting it back in place. I first
noticed it because my one cleat did not click in place. When I looked down on the pedal I could see
that the black plastic that closes over the cleat was hanging crooked. I pressed it back in place
and found a bolt on the inside that was almost all the way out. After getting it back in place
everything seemed to work fine again for the time being. However I'm not sure whether I should
complain or not.

--
Perre

Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> Why? The OP is currently using Look-style pedals and has mentioned no problems with them. Seems to
> me should be looking for a new pedal that is similar.

Why not? When changing equipment, there is no harm in investigating as many options as possible.
Sometimes, some people even learn something new.

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >

> > Why? The OP is currently using Look-style pedals and has
mentioned no
> > problems with them. Seems to me should be looking for a new pedal that is similar.
>
> Why not?

Changing biomechanical without a reason stuff is unwise.

JT

--

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> PerDOT-<< How did they break?
>
> Toe broke, they added some plastic to the toe-yellow in color-

Sounds reassuring since I have yellow walkaround protection on mine. Three of them in a triangle as
a matter of fact. This allows me to walk quite solidly without putting the heel down in a staircase
for instance.

--

Peter Chisholm writes:
> First gen of cleats broke. shimano did a mini-recall..

The first generation cleat is pictured with this article:
http://www.velonews.com/tech/gadgets/articles/2971.0.html

Generation two is pictured here: http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/htmltdf02/spd

Nicholas

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nicholas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Better yet: http://www.chainreaction.com/recallspdsl.htm
> >

> Those are the Dura Ace cleats. The origin of this thread was how the new Ultegra system works. Did
> they have the same problem there?

I just compared the cleats I received with my Ultegra pedals PD-R600 and the ones in the picture
http://www.chainreaction.com/recallspdsl.htm Mine look just the same as the good ones even though
they are described as Dura Ace PD-7750. Does that mean the cleats are exactly the same and it is
only the pedal itself that differs between the two models?

--
Perre

Replace the DOTs to reply

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Nicholas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Better yet: http://www.chainreaction.com/recallspdsl.htm
> > >

> > Those are the Dura Ace cleats. The origin of this thread was how the new Ultegra system works.
> > Did they have the same problem there?
> >

> I just compared the cleats I received with my Ultegra pedals PD-R600 and the ones in the picture
> http://www.chainreaction.com/recallspdsl.htm Mine look just the same as the good ones even though
> they are described as Dura Ace PD-7750. Does that mean the cleats are exactly the same and it is
> only the pedal itself that differs between the two models?

I'm sure they're the same as the new Dura Ace cleats. Since the Ultegra pedals didn't ship until
after the mini-recall, they probably all got the good cleats. Just like with look pedals - a lot of
variation between pedals at different price points, but the cleats are all the same.

-Ray

Just a confirmation, for the sake of the archives, that Ultegra and Dura- Ace SPD-SL do indeed share
the same cleat. Thanks to David Ornee for the link.

http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_pedals/size_chart/index.asp

Nicholas