SPD-SL: red vs. yellow cleats

dave d

Oct 7, 2004
Dear Cyclists:

Was given a pair of the Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals a year or so ago. I've used the yellow cleats exclusively to this point. Happily used Looks with red cleats for five years, so I figured I should have the floating cleat on the Shimanos, too.

There are some things I love about these pedals:

- big platform
- low weight
- good cornering clearance
- relatively secure (e.g., compared to Look)
- walkable cleat

I don't like:

- "vague" float feeling, with some play at the toe and some at the heel
- cleat is generally too loose in the pedal for my taste: there is too much up and down wiggle room, especially in the toe

I've been saying to myself, "Well, these are good enough for Lance, so they've got to be good enough for me." But then I remembered that he uses the red cleat.

Wondering if there are SPD-SL users out there on the red cleats and if these cleats alleviate the problems I'm talking about. No knee problems, so not irrevocably sold on having float, and I'm not so sure that knee probs are caused by lack of float, anyway.

Thanks.

ed073 said:
Red cleats will lock you in.

Yes, I know that the red cleats are supposedly "fixed," without any float.

I'm looking for some first-hand experience.

dave d said:
Yes, I know that the red cleats are supposedly "fixed," without any float.

I'm looking for some first-hand experience.

I've got 'em on my Dura-Ace.

ed073 said:
I've got 'em on my Dura-Ace.

Ed (I'm assuming that's your name):

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any play in the red cleats? Any up and down wobble room? Any play in the toe or heel?

I notice the play in the yellow cleats particularly when climbing (clickclickclick every time I unweight on the upstroke).

Dave

dave d said:
Ed (I'm assuming that's your name):

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any play in the red cleats? Any up and down wobble room? Any play in the toe or heel?

I notice the play in the yellow cleats particularly when climbing (clickclickclick every time I unweight on the upstroke).

Dave

Cool...yes, my name is Ed :)

they're just like the old black Look ones. No movement at all when new....mine aren't worn out enough et to see at what point they start to loosen up, but climbing they are rock solid.

dave d said:

Dave

Very odd, I use the Yellow SPD-SL cleats, and I only have float in the intended direction - left and right, there is no vertical play or clicking sound at all. Are your cleat bolts tight? Perhaps the soles of your shoes are flexing a bit and it is the sole knocking on the pedal (not even sure if that is possible)?