spd-sl vs pro fit vs look

t0mm0r

Dec 16, 2003
i am in the market for my first pair of clipless pedals and need some advise... i was first considering the speedplay pedals but i think i would like a bigger platform. So i am looking into the shimano ultegra spd-sl campagnolo chorus pro fit and some different look pedals.. just wondering if you guys had any experience with these pedals and would like yer thoughts... also would like some advice on corresponding shoes. budget is as follows... no more then 150 for pedals and no more then 100 for the shoes. Thanks for the help

Originally posted by t0mm0r
i am in the market for my first pair of clipless pedals and need some advise... i was first considering the speedplay pedals but i think i would like a bigger platform. So i am looking into the shimano ultegra spd-sl campagnolo chorus pro fit and some different look pedals.. just wondering if you guys had any experience with these pedals and would like yer thoughts... also would like some advice on corresponding shoes. budget is as follows... no more then 150 for pedals and no more then 100 for the shoes. Thanks for the help

Basically the three mentioned is of the same design with minor differences. Most people ride the ones they first bought and felt comfortable with. AND I would turn your investment reasoning around, put 70 in the pedals and a 180 in the shoes. Ie buy ultegra SL or Look pp396 or Centaur profits... and invest more in the shoe. A perfect shoe is more important than the lightest pedal. I use Look CX6 titanium with DMT ultimax.
But any of those you mentioned or Time and Speedplay are good choices.

I've just bought the ultegra SPD SL pedals and they seem to work well. I like the cleats with the little rubber grippy bits, makes a big difference on smooth surfaces compared to my old look style cleats which were like ice skates

Shoes should be bought based on fit and nothing else

different brands of shoe and different models suit different people and the person who loves DMT shoes may hate Sidis and vice versa.

My advice is to go to a few bike stores and try on every shoe you can find and assess it for comfort in the toe box, heel grip, sole stiffness and pedal compatibility.

I went through this a week ago, I really wanted a pair of DMT or pearl izumi shoes because i like the look and the carbon soles but it turns out neither shoes fits me well so i ended up buying a pair of sidi energys which still look very cool but are a much better fit.

My training partner on the other hand hates his sidis

hope that helps

Oh yeah and spend more on the shoes than the pedals

Originally posted by t0mm0r

Hi .. everybody agrees with me .. or I agree with everybody.

Spent more on the shoes. I just got ultegra SLs and Shimano R125s .. works well. In Australia these are $AUD150 & $AUD250 (retail .. which I didnt pay but thats another story)

i've got spd-sl 540's , the resin body pedals equiv. to 105. They are fantastic. can only tell the difference between dura ace when i clip out under heavy tension . coupled with my sidis, the sl's are an awesomely comfortable combo. have ridden look (x2), spd's, times and now sl's and they are by far the best.

I´ve always used Look. Tried Speedplay for a short while. This summer I put Dura Ace Spd SL on all my bikes. The initial joy has been replaced with the yearning for Look so I just sold my spd sl´s on ebay and bought Keo´s. There you go. Were all different.

mrowkoob said:
.... bought Keo´s. There you go. Were all different.

What are the Keo's like. I love the look (pun intended) but I hear that the have their own special cleats.

I have Ultegra SPD-SL and I chose them because they were lighter compared to similarly priced Looks.

Dominic Sansom said:
What are the Keo's like. I love the look (pun intended) but I hear that the have their own special cleats.

g'day,

picked my Keo's up last week & love 'em. the cleat is different to the traditional 'Look' cleat, so you'll only be able to use 'em with Keos. They have basically redesigned the whole thing to get into the 'lightweight' pedal market. The new cleat is made of ????? sumthing anyway...(Shoulda read the packaging, I know), that is supposed to eliminate the 'Look' creak that has driven Look owners nutz for eons.....Only done 200km on them so far...but really happy...would recommned anyone looking at new pedals to audition these

cheers,

Hitchy

Hitchy said:
g'day,

picked my Keo's up last week & love 'em. the cleat is different to the traditional 'Look' cleat, so you'll only be able to use 'em with Keos. They have basically redesigned the whole thing to get into the 'lightweight' pedal market. The new cleat is made of ????? sumthing anyway...(Shoulda read the packaging, I know), that is supposed to eliminate the 'Look' creak that has driven Look owners nutz for eons.....Only done 200km on them so far...but really happy...would recommned anyone looking at new pedals to audition these

cheers,

Hitchy
its made of the same red plastic but has teflon plates integrated into the contact points on the cleat. I'm told it's to alleviate the age old look cleat issue of SQUEAKING, which without fail occurs after they are fairly worn in. (nothin a little teflon grease couldn't cure on mine tho)

I have been riding Chorus Pro-Fits for about a year and love them. I think they are gorgeous and have Campagnolo quality to boot. Small and sexy.

I also ride with Sidi Energy shoes and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But listen to the other posters on the shoes - get what is most comfortable for you foot!

I have been riding Chorus Pro-Fits for about a year and love them. I think they are gorgeous and have Campagnolo quality to boot. Small and sexy.

I also ride with Sidi Energy shoes and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But listen to the other posters on the shoes - get what is most comfortable for you foot!

Happy shopping and riding! :D

I've had Campy Chorus pedals for about two years. They're okay, as good as anything you can get.

The cleats are the devil to walk around in, though. Sort of like Earth Shoes from hell, for you OF's out there that rememer those. But that's true of Look pedals, too.

mrowkoob said:
AND I would turn your investment reasoning around, put 70 in the pedals and a 180 in the shoes. Ie buy ultegra SL or Look pp396 or Centaur profits... and invest more in the shoe. A perfect shoe is more important than the lightest pedal.

Yes,

Agree with all of that. I have Campagnolo Chorus Look type (made in France :cool: ....) pedals and I have Dura Ace 7800 SPD-SL. The weight of the Dura Ace is the only real advantage over Look.

Like another forum member described very well the Looks feel like you're on skates while the Dura Ace have a very solid feel. However l do not know yet what I like best. With Look clicking in and out the pedals is a bit smoother and safer I quess. The solid Dura Ace feeling might have advantages regarding eficiency once underway.

Regards, B.