Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

SPD SPD-SL SPD-R Oh My!

Started by distortedimage · · Last activity · 2 posts · 933 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 November 2007
Last activity
26 November 2007
Original author
distortedimage
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
933
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I'm new to the world of clipless pedals and haven't figured it out yet.

    I know the main preference differences between MTB and road bike style clipless designs but within the SPD design spec, what gives with all the subsets?

    Story: I was given a gift cert to Niketown where I came out with a very comfy pair of cycling shoes with SPD mounts about two years ago.

    Brand names aside, I'm finally getting serious about actually buying some clipless pedals.

    What should I buy?

    This is for road riding. I have Ultegra components and I've heard that the threading is slightly different on Ultegra/DAce vs others.

    Will SPD-SL cleats match the SPD mounts on my shoes?

    Any suggestions for the relative noob?

    Is it possible to find something good that I could wear the same shoes with my MTB and Road bike?

  2. If your shoes have an SPD mount only, then you are stuck with that (2 holes or 2 pairs of holes close together). I think some of the other brands such as Crank Bros will mount to the same holes.
    SPD-SL is superior for road riding, but not for walking. These cleats need 3 holes (standard road mount). DuraAce, Ultegra and 105 SPD-SL pedals and cleats are fully interchangeable -you can take your pick.
    SPD-R is a (nearly?) defunct, deservedly unpopular system that you needn't worry about.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.