Spd vs. Look pattern shoes

OoAmericanGirl

Aug 2, 2006
For 2 years I have had the same specialized bg spd shoe. I bought them instead of the road shoes because when I started biking, I thought that I would like a more comfortable shoe and somthing I could walk around in more. I found that I don't really wonder around very much in my bike shoes and I think I want to upgrade. I was wondering what the difference really was, would it really make any difference on hill climb? Are the pedals easy to come in and out of as spd type pedals?

I was thinking of getting a pair of women's specialized carbon road shoes and some Keo sprints. Anyone have any suggestions? ( keep in mind that this will be a birthday present from my dad so I don't want to ask for an expensive pair of Sidis)

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

OoAmericanGirl said:
For 2 years I have had the same specialized bg spd shoe. I bought them instead of the road shoes because when I started biking, I thought that I would like a more comfortable shoe and somthing I could walk around in more. I found that I don't really wonder around very much in my bike shoes and I think I want to upgrade. I was wondering what the difference really was, would it really make any difference on hill climb? Are the pedals easy to come in and out of as spd type pedals?

I was thinking of getting a pair of women's specialized carbon road shoes and some Keo sprints. Anyone have any suggestions? ( keep in mind that this will be a birthday present from my dad so I don't want to ask for an expensive pair of Sidis)

Thanks!
biggrin.gif
I've found that road shoes tend to have a stiffer sole than mtb type shoes, but I'm sure that some mtb shoes are stiff. You may want to consider which pedals you opt for, eg Shimano road cleats have little claws on them so that when you're walking, the cleat doesn't get damaged. Not all road pedal/cleat combo's have this, eg LOOK. I'm pretty sure that the LOOK cleats come with a little cap that you can pop on over the cleat for walking, but I think that would be a pain in the a$$ each time you step off the bike. If you like the Look pedals, then maybe you should just be happy to replace cleats every year or two (depending on how much you walk in them).

As for the difference on a hill climb, if you're going from a fairly flexible mtb shoe to a super stiff road shoe, then yes, there will be some difference and you will be delivering more power to the pedal.

Walrus said:
I've found that road shoes tend to have a stiffer sole than mtb type shoes, but I'm sure that some mtb shoes are stiff. You may want to consider which pedals you opt for, eg Shimano road cleats have little claws on them so that when you're walking, the cleat doesn't get damaged. Not all road pedal/cleat combo's have this, eg LOOK. I'm pretty sure that the LOOK cleats come with a little cap that you can pop on over the cleat for walking, but I think that would be a pain in the a$$ each time you step off the bike. If you like the Look pedals, then maybe you should just be happy to replace cleats every year or two (depending on how much you walk in them).

As for the difference on a hill climb, if you're going from a fairly flexible mtb shoe to a super stiff road shoe, then yes, there will be some difference and you will be delivering more power to the pedal.
Looks do not come with a little cap, unless you buy it separately. Not that useful, IMHO. Road shoes will be noticeably stiffer, on the whole. I have no issues walking with my road shoe and campagnolo pro fit pedal cleats for a year or two at a a time.

Powerful Pete said:
Looks do not come with a little cap, unless you buy it separately. Not that useful, IMHO. Road shoes will be noticeably stiffer, on the whole. I have no issues walking with my road shoe and campagnolo pro fit pedal cleats for a year or two at a a time.
The Look cap is rubber - so you don't damage floors when you walk around with it (i.e. timber floors etc). Plus, it isn't as slippery as walking on metal cleats.

However, the plastic Look cleats wear very quickly if you don't have the caps. I see lots of people with Look Keos now and they seem to like them quite a lot. I ride the old PP296's and just tuck the rubber caps into my jersey pockets when I'm mounting up - no mess and not much fuss.

The Look type pedals (and the SPD-SL shimano pedals) are definitely better than the MTB SPD pedals - much larger contact on the bottom of your foot and hard to pull out if you're stomping. I found them a little harder to engage than the SPD's I had on my original bike, but learned to live with it.

cheers,

dave.