SPDs and falling off!

Keith Midgley

Guest
I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Keith Midgley wrote:
> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
> "falling off".
>
> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> in the future?
>
> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .

druidh

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:53:35 GMT, druidh wrote:

> Keith Midgley wrote:
>> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
>> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
>> "falling off".
>>
>> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
>> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
>> in the future?
>>
>> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

> Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .
>

> druidh

Is this like capsizing a dingy?
Sniper8052

Keith Midgley wrote:

> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
> "falling off".
>
> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> in the future?
>
> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Most people seem to use 2 or 3 times with increasing intervals. I can't
remember my last clipped in fall, but managed two in an equal number of
months at the start.

I have had people claim they've never done it. They are of course aliens.

"Keith Midgley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> [snip]
> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> in the future?
>
> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

I am a novice clipless pedal user as well. Got mine in July this year. So
far I have fallen off twice. Once on the test ride (inevitable, I suppose)
and then once at a T-Junction on my second proper outing (to the amusement
of the onlooking drivers). Since then, touchwood, I have been able to get my
feet out pretty readily. The guy at the bike shop suggested balancing
against the garden wall for half an hour practicing getting in and out
before the first trip on the road but this doesn't tend to replicate the
stress you are under when you need to stop in a hurry.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:10:11 +0100, Keith Midgley wrote:

> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
> "falling off".
>
> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> in the future?
>
> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Expect to fall off again. I fall off, or come close to falling off, every
ride, having had SPDs since Easter. I just forget that I'm clipped in when
I come to a stop, then I panic that I can't move my legs due to some
physiological condition that instantly paralysed me.

I once fell off in front of a bunch of kids (11 year olds) that were
jumping logs.

--
Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/

> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> in the future?

Not wanting to tempt fate, I have had several close escapes including
uncliping the wrong leg as I started to topple to one side, just managed to
unclip in time. Emergency stops have led to the closest that I've been to
falling off. Anticipating coming to a halt and getting the uncliipoing drill
sorted has, so far, saved me from many of the indignities decribed in past
threads here.

I am reluctant to fit clipless pedals to my mountain bike. Don't trust my
balance enough :)

Tosspot wrote:
> Keith Midgley wrote:
>
> > I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
> > but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
> > "falling off".
> >
> > I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> > fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> > in the future?
> >
> > Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

> Most people seem to use 2 or 3 times with increasing intervals. I can't
> remember my last clipped in fall, but managed two in an equal number of
> months at the start.
>
> I have had people claim they've never done it. They are of course aliens.

I've never done it! I have them fairly loose so they pull out quite
easily.
I've got flat/spd reversible - it's quite handy if I want to belt off
to the shop when I'm wearing wellies etc.

cheers
Jacob
(beam me up I want to go home)

In article <[email protected]>, Sniper8052 wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:53:35 GMT, druidh wrote:
>> Keith Midgley wrote:
>>> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
>>> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
>>> "falling off".
>>>
>>> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
>>> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
>>> in the future?
>>>
>>> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

>> Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .

>Is this like capsizing a dingy?

Only in the very loose sense that you can capsize a dinghy by failing
to uncleat something when you ought to, I think.

I've struggled to unclip SPDs in time a few times (and one day I'll get
around to swapping those pedals with ones my other bike to see if it
makes any difference), but always managed it so far (though my usual
commute I use work shoes on the platform sie of the pedal, or my folder
which has plain (but folding) platform pedals.

A friend of mine did once see a motorcyclist fall over at a traffic light.
My friend helped him up, and the motorcyclist explained "I've had a sidecar
for 20 years, and forgot I didn't have it today".

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Sniper8052 wrote:

>>> Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .

>>Is this like capsizing a dingy?

> Only in the very loose sense that you can capsize a dinghy by failing
> to uncleat something when you ought to, I think.
>
> I've struggled to unclip SPDs in time a few times (and one day I'll get
> around to swapping those pedals with ones my other bike to see if it
> makes any difference), but always managed it so far (though my usual
> commute I use work shoes on the platform sie of the pedal, or my folder
> which has plain (but folding) platform pedals.
>
> A friend of mine did once see a motorcyclist fall over at a traffic light.
> My friend helped him up, and the motorcyclist explained "I've had a
> sidecar
> for 20 years, and forgot I didn't have it today".

Completely unrelated but true story...

I used to be in a job that entailed lots of early morning motorway driving.
One morning we came across a Reliant Robin on the hard shoulder. It was on
it's side and had suffered a hefty bit of damage. The engine was still
running so we pulled over to investigate and found the driver, an old boy,
still inside.

His only words on getting him out were "Bloody thing keeps doing that"

--

Reply to address is valid on this account.
However, it's only checked once a week.

Mo Saycool wrote:
> The guy at the bike shop suggested balancing
> against the garden wall for half an hour practicing getting in and out
> before the first trip on the road but this doesn't tend to replicate the
> stress you are under when you need to stop in a hurry.

When I got my first pair of clipless pedals I decided it would be a good
idea to get used to using them riding around the farm that I was living
on at the time, before taking them out on the road. Of course, I forgot
that the farm had dogs. One of them ran in front of me, I braked,
failed to unclip, and fell off behind a reversing tractor (fortunately
several yards behind a tractor that had only just started reversing).

My second clipless fall happened a couple of weeks later, when I heard a
rubbing noise from my BoB (the mudguard was rubbing against the tyre).
I slowed down and stopped while looking over my shoulder at the trailer,
and completely forgot about the SPD's. I gracefully (I like to think)
fell over onto the bank at the side of the deserted Ashdown Forest road.

The third fall was a few weeks after that, when I thought I was used to
them. I was riding the Cuckoo Trail with my then GF (now my wife) and
was riding rather closer behind her than is sensible with a novice
cyclist. A puppy darted under her front wheel and she slammed the
brakes on. I stopped without hitting her, but in the process failed to
unclip. I shot forwards on the bike with my feet still attached to the
pedals and managed to bash myself at the base of the sternum with a bar
end. Breathing was uncomfortable for several weeks.

In the 7 years since then, I think I've had two falls due to clipless
pedals. One was while I was still getting the hang of slow speed
manoeuvring in tight spaces on the recumbent. The other was the morning
after fitting new cleats, when I'd forgotten to adjust the pedal tension
to compensate. I was riding up the hill to the office when I met a
lorry coming the other way. It would have been impractical for the
lorry to reverse and the road wouldn't have been wide enough for us to
pass each other on the road, so I steered right, headed for the pavement
and stopped. I managed to unclip my right foot, but not the left. The
right foot was on the downhill side and didn't have a hope of reaching
the floor. The left foot was stuck.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

Timfy wrote:

> I used to be in a job that entailed lots of early morning motorway driving.
> One morning we came across a Reliant Robin on the hard shoulder. It was on
> it's side and had suffered a hefty bit of damage. The engine was still
> running so we pulled over to investigate and found the driver, an old boy,
> still inside.
>
> His only words on getting him out were "Bloody thing keeps doing that"

When a teenager I had a friend who regularly fell over in his Bond
3-wheeler. It was mainly due to his habit of yanking the steering wheel
as quickly as possible when cornering. After sliding to a halt on its
door it would generally right itself again and he'd stop at the next
garage to put some more oil in. The doorhandles were always broken and
the fibreglass door panels somewhat scratched, but they stood up to the
treatment surprisingly well.

--
Dave...

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:49:46 +0100, vernon <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> > fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> > in the future?
> >

> Not wanting to tempt fate, I have had several close escapes including
> uncliping the wrong leg as I started to topple to one side, just managed to
>
> I am reluctant to fit clipless pedals to my mountain bike. Don't trust my
> balance enough :)

Actually, I found that having clipless on my main road bike and clips
and straps on the main mountain bike caused more near-miss toppling.
I do more on the road than off, so had the reflexes to twist the foot
to release, then, on the mountain bike, I need to put a foot down, so
it twists by learned reflex ... which (with straps) fixes it even
tighter to the pedal.

I very quickly put matching clipless pedals on everything I ride
(except the unicycle) (where I just have platform pedals).

There is a guaranteed cure to the problem of falling off with clipless
pedals ... http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

in message <[email protected]>, Keith Midgley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for
> sometime but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly
> compulsory "falling off".
>
> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further
> embarrassment in the future?
>
> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Also, make sure your cleats are bolted /extremely/ tightly to your shoes
- loose cleats are a sure precursor to antics guaranteed to amuse the
crowd...

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison

in message <[email protected]>, "Mo Saycool"
<steveATdarcyryanDOTfreeserveDOTcoDOTuk> ('') wrote:

> "Keith Midgley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> [snip]
>> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
>> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further
>> embarrassment in the future?
>>
>> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

> I am a novice clipless pedal user as well. Got mine in July this year.
> So far I have fallen off twice. Once on the test ride (inevitable, I
> suppose) and then once at a T-Junction on my second proper outing (to
> the amusement of the onlooking drivers). Since then, touchwood, I have
> been able to get my feet out pretty readily. The guy at the bike shop
> suggested balancing against the garden wall for half an hour practicing
> getting in and out before the first trip on the road but this doesn't
> tend to replicate the stress you are under when you need to stop in a
> hurry.

In the days before clipless when we couldn't get our feet out at all
easily one got into the habit of knowing where things were one could
hold onto or lean on. Out on a ride recently a friend said 'help! I
can't unclip', and I just said 'grab the pole' - he was alongside a road
sign.

If you are worried about unclipping it might be a good idea to be
strategically aware of road signs, railings, bollards and other street
furniture at a convenient height to lean on - there very often are such
things around junctions.

Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
[update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

Keith Midgley wrote:
> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
> "falling off".
>
> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
> in the future?
>
> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

When you are used to them and think you wont fall off again, thats when
you will.

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

Dave Kahn wrote:

> When a teenager I had a friend who regularly fell over in his Bond
> 3-wheeler. It was mainly due to his habit of yanking the steering wheel
> as quickly as possible when cornering. After sliding to a halt on its
> door it would generally right itself again and he'd stop at the next
> garage to put some more oil in.

But, but, but... weren't Bonds two-strokes?

--
Andrew

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> sd / msg
<[email protected]> dtd Sat, 15 Oct
2005 13:34:55 GMT:

>When a teenager I had a friend who regularly fell over in his Bond
>3-wheeler.

The world is shrinking again. I saw a Bond on the way home on Friday,
first I've seen for maybe a decade.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

"Kenneth Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Keith Midgley wrote:
>> I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for
>> sometime
>> but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
>> "falling off".
>>
>> I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
>> fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further
>> embarrassment
>> in the future?
>>
>> Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

> When you are used to them and think you wont fall off again, thats when
> you will.

Oh yes!!

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> The world is shrinking again. I saw a Bond on the way home on Friday,
> first I've seen for maybe a decade.

When I were a wee lad our family car was the original Bond. The front
wheel would turn 360 so reverse was turn the wheel backwards and engage
first gear! On (not so) steep hills we would all have to get out and
walk up as it wouldn't make it with the weight of us all. Eventually my
sister and I grew so that our knees were hitting (the rear seats were
sideways) so it was traded in for a Fiat 500 which had more room!

Eeeh, those were the days!

--
Tony

Anon