SPD's -- too many pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. My wife and I have pretty much settled on SPD pedals for our various
    bikes. I've always just bought what the LBS had in stock, but they've
    never been too clear about the differences between the different models.
    Now I'm looking to know more about the models and can't find a good
    description of how 540's, 520's, M525's and the other two-sided models
    differ from each other except in weight. Is there some comparison chart
    someplace?

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

    Tags:

  2. "Mike Elliott" wrote:
    > My wife and I have pretty much settled on SPD pedals for our various
    > bikes. I've always just bought what the LBS had in stock, but they've
    > never been too clear about the differences between the different models.
    > Now I'm looking to know more about the models and can't find a good
    > description of how 540's, 520's, M525's and the other two-sided models
    > differ from each other except in weight. Is there some comparison chart
    > someplace?

    From Shimano's MTB Pedal page:
    http://tinyurl.com/dvsq5

    Often the only real difference is weight and finish. I've been happy with my
    PD-M520 pedals

    Art Harris N2AH

  3. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
    <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > My wife and I have pretty much settled on SPD pedals for our various
    > bikes. I've always just bought what the LBS had in stock, but they've
    > never been too clear about the differences between the different models.
    > Now I'm looking to know more about the models and can't find a good
    > description of how 540's, 520's, M525's and the other two-sided models
    > differ from each other except in weight. Is there some comparison chart
    > someplace?

    Go to Shimano's web site. Even they cannot document
    compelling differences between some pairs of items.
    Difference 540 and the 520 amounts to color and a few
    grams. I _like_ the color on my more expensive 540's. :)

    --
    Michael Press

  4. On 2/5/2006 12:22 PM Arthur Harris wrote:

    > "Mike Elliott" wrote:
    >> My wife and I have pretty much settled on SPD pedals for our various
    >> bikes. I've always just bought what the LBS had in stock, but they've
    >> never been too clear about the differences between the different models.
    >> Now I'm looking to know more about the models and can't find a good
    >> description of how 540's, 520's, M525's and the other two-sided models
    >> differ from each other except in weight. Is there some comparison chart
    >> someplace?

    > From Shimano's MTB Pedal page:
    > http://tinyurl.com/dvsq5
    >
    > Often the only real difference is weight and finish. I've been happy with my
    > PD-M520 pedals

    Oh well, if a fellow can't tell one from another without looking, then
    that's all that matters to me! Thanks!