Speak about spokes

gfp1931

Jun 16, 2004
Hi cyclists,
I will be chatting more later but meanwhile can someone explain the pro's and con's of wheels with fewer spokes than conventional wheels.
I'm looking for another bike for mainly roads and country lanes but with the occasional cycle path that can be a bit rough at times. Problem is the bikes I like have fewer spokes, will they stand up to a few bumps ? Your feedback will be appreciated.
Regards,
Gordon of Birmingham, England.

I'm a retro grouch. I like conventional wheels mostly because I like building my own. When the minimum spoke count wheels came out, I waited for them to fail in droves. We've had 8 or so years experience with them by now. I'd think that if there was going to be a big durability issue we would have heard about it by now. Hasn't happened. Go ahead and buy your bike with the minimum spoke count wheels. You'll be fine.

I, however, am going to continue riding 32 spoke cross three wheels because I'm a retro grouch who likes to build my own.

Retro Grouch said:
I'm a retro grouch. I like conventional wheels mostly because I like building my own. When the minimum spoke count wheels came out, I waited for them to fail in droves. We've had 8 or so years experience with them by now. I'd think that if there was going to be a big durability issue we would have heard about it by now. Hasn't happened. Go ahead and buy your bike with the minimum spoke count wheels. You'll be fine.

I, however, am going to continue riding 32 spoke cross three wheels because I'm a retro grouch who likes to build my own.

Thanks Retro Grouch for your comments. I feel more confident after reading your advice.

Best Wishes, Gordon.

I've had a set of Rolf Vector Pro's, about as low a spoke count as you can find - 14 front, 16 rear. Very strong wheels, no problem with durability, and they stay in true.

Only real downside is that the ride is a bit harsh.

JohnO said:
I've had a set of Rolf Vector Pro's, about as low a spoke count as you can find - 14 front, 16 rear. Very strong wheels, no problem with durability, and they stay in true.

Thanks JohnO, I had a feeling they would have to be reliable when they are used on so many of the top of the range bikes, but it's good to get the opinions of cyclists with experience. Since most of my runs are on good surfaces I don't envisage any problems now. Thanks again.
Gordon. :)

JohnO said:

At the Las Vegas Bike Show, Rolf showcased deep section carbon wheels with just 10 spokes *yikes!!!* That's right 5 spokes per side. That would be catastrophic if you even break one spoke at speed.

32 spoke, 3-cross is the gold standard.

I race on low-spoke-count wheels. But I train on 32-spoke wheels. They are more durable, cheaper, and more easily serviced.

But they have less "bling", if that makes a difference to you.

BTW, when you say "I am looking for another bike....", "bike" usually means "frame". I wouldn't make the decision about whether or not to buy a particular bike based soley on its wheels. Wheels can be swapped very easily.

Bob

gfp1931 said:
Hi cyclists,
I will be chatting more later but meanwhile can someone explain the pro's and con's of wheels with fewer spokes than conventional wheels.
I'm looking for another bike for mainly roads and country lanes but with the occasional cycle path that can be a bit rough at times. Problem is the bikes I like have fewer spokes, will they stand up to a few bumps ? Your feedback will be appreciated.
Regards,
Gordon of Birmingham, England.
What does Lance ride now that he isn't racing for money?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2006/news/may06/may12news/LanceGiro1-06

I am also a retro grouch, but I build wheels for a lot of riders. Your weight matters the most, next the G forces you subject them to. If you bunny hop or ride rough sections, more spokes help spread the load. I am also a strong proponent of 14/15 DB spokes. I really like Sapim Race spokes, but most DT Competition model spokes are good too. The quality of build makes the biggest difference.

You can build a reliable wheel with any number of spokes you want, but as that number goes down you're going to have to pay for it somehow. Typically this comes in the form of extra stiff rims and proprietary hubs and spokes to handle the high tension. Another thing to keep in mind is that if your price range is less than $400-$500 for the set, you can be assured of getting better performance out of traditional hand built wheels.

I'm currently at work building a wheel with only three spokes. They will be double butted and I'm going to use aluminum nipples for further weight savings.

Hey, hand me that beer.

Ahhh, that was good.