Speaking of cameras (digi cams?)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died - LCD cracked, way too
    expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.

    Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    out your faves even if they're more expensive.

    Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter action.
    Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of a
    viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd also
    like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live without.

    Any suggestions?

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Cp1

    Cp1 Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -
    LCD
    > cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    >
    > Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    > out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    >
    > Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    > action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of
    > a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd
    > also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live without.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Canon digital elph.

    Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.

    I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.

    --

    CP

  3. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews_aug2003.html#bestof2003

    Jon Bond wrote:
    > My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died - LCD cracked, way too
    > expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    >
    > Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    > out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    >
    > Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    > action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of
    > a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd
    > also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live without.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jon Bond

  4. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    CP1 murmured while asleep:
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died - LCD cracked, way too
    >> expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    >>
    >> Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    >> out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    >>
    >> Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    >> action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack
    >> of a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots.
    >> I'd also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live
    >> without.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Jon Bond
    >
    > Canon digital elph.
    >
    > Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.
    >
    > I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.

    I had a nikon, now have a Canon A70.. I think the Nikon optics are better. The delay seems the same
    no matter what.

    Penny

  5. Mike Demicco

    Mike Demicco Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "CP1" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > Canon digital elph.
    >
    > Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.
    >
    > I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.

    I've got an Canon S330 - too thick and especially too heavy to the point that I stopped taking it
    with me, which is bad. I wish I'd bought the Minolta DiMage xft.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email protected]> (Remove the REMOVE_THIS from my email address
    to reply.)

  6. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    Penny S wrote:
    > CP1 murmured while asleep:
    >
    >>"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died - LCD cracked, way too
    >>>expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    >>>
    >>>Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    >>>out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    >>>action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack
    >>>of a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots.
    >>>I'd also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live
    >>>without.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Jon Bond
    >>
    >>Canon digital elph.
    >>
    >>Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.
    >>
    >>I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.
    >

    > I had a nikon, now have a Canon A70.. I think the Nikon optics are better. The delay seems the
    > same no matter what.
    >
    > Penny

    My dad did a ton of searching for the digital camera with the least autofocus lag. He takes a lot of
    Skiing photos, so he needed the quickest possible camera. It was also extremely important that the
    optics be extremely good. As it turns out, it was a Pentax he bought, but I can't remember the
    model. I do think it came in at your price range, though. I'd check them out.

    Miles

  7. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -
    LCD
    > cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    <snip>
    > Any suggestions?
    Canon IXUS V3. Dunno what the price will be.
    3.2Megapixel. Small and pocket sized., lots of features - including more than your average manual
    controls if you desire, otherwise it's just point and shoot. Very good battery life. Mostly metal
    body means it's robust and I've crashed with mine more times than I can count. Usually it's in a
    front pocket or pack. Cons: Relatively heavy for a pocket. But most others are usually too big
    too. Shutter lag is about on par with all the others. Speeds up a bit if you tell it you're in
    daylight and you set the white balance manually etc, etc.... If it's general purpose photos and
    mountainbiking specifically, it's be hard to go past this for portability and robustness versus
    usefulness.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  8. Rocketman

    Rocketman Guest

    "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Penny S wrote:
    > > CP1 murmured while asleep:
    > >
    > >>"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]...

    > >>Canon digital elph.
    > >>
    > >>Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.
    > >>
    > >>I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.
    > >

    > > I had a nikon, now have a Canon A70.. I think the Nikon optics are
    better.
    > > The delay seems the same no matter what.
    > >
    > > Penny
    > >

    > My dad did a ton of searching for the digital camera with the least autofocus lag. He takes a lot
    > of Skiing photos, so he needed the quickest possible camera. It was also extremely important that
    > the optics be extremely good. As it turns out, it was a Pentax he bought, but I can't remember
    > the model.

    Probably one of the Pentax Optio cameras. Very nice, very small, well designed. It's on my short
    list, along with the Canon S400, S50 and the Nikon 4300. There is a *lot* to look at in the $300 -
    $400 range these days. Have a look at www.bizrate.com www.pricewatch.com or www.pricescan.com to see
    what I mean. I've seen several online shops (reputable ones) selling the Canon S400 Digital Elph
    (3x, 4MP) for $389 shipped. That's *very* tempting. The Digital Elph cameras have it all, in the
    most portable and rugged package you'll find. Great, great cameras for just about everything (except
    maybe studio photography).

    Rocketman

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Here's a pretty good resource for digitals http://www.dpreview.com/

    --
    Slacker

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -
    LCD
    > cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    >
    > Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    > out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    >
    > Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    > action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of
    > a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd
    > also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live without.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Just to throw another camera out there I'm happy with my Sony DSC-P72. It has a viewfinder and lcd,
    it has a slight lag, but not as bad as I've seen on others. Any of my photos in the last few months
    have come from it. JD also has a Sony I believe.

    Matt

  11. Bake

    Bake Guest

    I have the Canon Digital Elph S200 and I also like it. I do hate the shutter lag. If this is an
    important feature you may want to explore other options. I don't know how much it has been improved
    in newer models.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died - LCD cracked, way too
    > expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    >
    > Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But throw
    > out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    >
    > Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    > action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of
    > a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd
    > also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live without.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Just don't ever buy a HP Photostupid camera, they suck at all price point in the model line up. I
    personally can't believe they sell these things. They do that that inexplicable lag you speak of
    too. As far as interface, ease of use and quality I like Fuji cameras. I have an A200 and a newer
    A205 with optical zoom and for a 2.x megapixel camera they take great pictures. It has manual
    exposure and white balance with presets to take pictures under fluorescent lights, something the HP
    could not do under any circumstances. And with only 2AA NiMH batteries they run all day. With 4 AA
    NiMH batteries in the HP I had, I could not even fill the 64MB memory card before they died.
    --
    _________________________

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -
    > LCD
    > > cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.
    > >
    > > Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to throw around. But
    > > throw out your faves even if they're more expensive.
    > >
    > > Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter button and shutter
    > > action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying initially, but I got used to it) was the lack
    > > of a viewfinder - everything was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots.
    > > I'd also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot, but I can live
    > > without.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    > >

    > Just to throw another camera out there I'm happy with my Sony DSC-P72. It has a viewfinder and
    > lcd, it has a slight lag, but not as bad as I've seen on others. Any of my photos in the last few
    > months have come from it. JD also has a Sony I believe.

    The newer Sonys have more than the paltry 2.0 megapixel resolution my camera has. Try the DSC-P52 to
    meet your minimum requirements.

    JD

  14. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > The newer Sonys have more than the paltry 2.0 megapixel resolution my camera has. Try the DSC-P52
    > to meet your minimum requirements.
    >
    > JD

    Mine is 3.2 MP, which is good for my needs. You can make a decent print (nothing really big, but 3x5
    looks fine) from a 3.2 MP photo. I think the P52 is also 3.2 MP, but it only has a 2x optical zoom
    instead of the 3x the 72 has.

    Looks like a good camera if it fits your needs and budget.

    Matt

  15. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:58:09 GMT, CP1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -
    > LCD
    >> cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one. <snip> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Jon Bond
    >
    > Canon digital elph.
    >
    > Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.
    >
    > I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.

    I second the Canon. I still use my older Canon S110 (Elph). Small enough to not be a bother, rugged
    enough to take a crash (mine has many times), and enough features to do it all (small movies w/
    sound, etc).

    We've got WAY more small Canon AVI vids of our daughter than video camera tape because the Canon is
    so small it's always just laying around and easy to grab for the spur of the moment...