Speaking of Carbon Forks...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, May 18, 2003.

  1. One poster asked how big a tire the Oozo carbon fork can handle.

    I wonder when a carbon fiber fork with drop out eyelets and clearance for fenders and 57 reach side
    pull brakes will one available as aftermarket item. So far it looks like they are only available to
    builders. Marinoni uses such a fork- it can handle a fender and a 23 width tire. Also some British
    builders seem to spec carbon forks for their audax bikes. But I haven't found any "major" brand
    carbon fork manufacturers that offer anything that would handle a 25 Michelin, side pull brakes,
    and a fender.

    Having raised this issue, I should add that I doubt that as a enthusiastic recreational cyclist I
    have appreciated a benefit from changing to a carbon fiber fork on my classic lugged Bianchi race
    frame. None the less, having the option to use a carbon fork and saving 1/2 lb. (that's what I've
    been told the conversion saved me) would be a nice option for riders using fat tires and fenders.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. These fenders will fit and look as cool as is possible for a fender

    http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/fenders.html

    Frank

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One poster asked how big a tire the Oozo carbon fork can handle.
    >
    > I wonder when a carbon fiber fork with drop out eyelets and clearance for fenders and 57 reach
    > side pull brakes will one available as aftermarket item. So far it looks like they are only
    > available to builders. Marinoni uses
    such
    > a fork- it can handle a fender and a 23 width tire. Also some British builders seem to spec carbon
    > forks for their audax
    bikes.
    > But I haven't found any "major" brand carbon fork manufacturers that offer anything that would
    > handle a 25 Michelin, side pull brakes, and a fender.
    >
    > Having raised this issue, I should add that I doubt that as a
    enthusiastic
    > recreational cyclist I have appreciated a benefit from changing to a
    carbon
    > fiber fork on my classic lugged Bianchi race frame. None the less, having the option to use a
    > carbon fork and saving 1/2 lb. (that's what I've been told the conversion saved me) would be a
    > nice option for riders using fat tires and fenders.
    >
    > Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

  3. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    Yeah, those are pretty cool, but shouldn't the struts and other mounting hardware be made
    from titanium?

    GG