    -chris

    From: Anthony Leverock <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Subject: Re: Jobst was
    Re: Sheldon Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 11:24:32 -0700

    On Mon, 05 May 2003 14:26:33 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fred Roses <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I would like to reprint a brief thread from 2001 in which I commented on a Jobst post...
    >
    >> Cary Purdy wrote: My wife bought a Z3. It looks too low to put on a trailer hitch. It has a
    >> convertible top - so no roof rack. It doesn't look to me like a bike rack will go on the trunk.
    >> Does anyone have any experience with this?
    >
    >> To which Jobst humorously (??) replied: Yes, when my wife bought her Rolls we just decided to
    >> have her footman follow with our GMC Yukon to carry the bicycles. He's a pretty good bike
    >> mechanic too, so she won't have to worry about fixing flats. This was a cleaner solution and
    >> didn't mess with her car.
    >
    >> About which I subsequently posted: Jobst, I think a guy with a Z3 is as entitled to a helpful
    >> answer from this group as somebody with an old beetle. Maybe I'm just oversensitive, but I think
    >> this attempt at humor pushes "curmudgeonliness" over the edge...
    >
    >Are you kidding? That was my favorite Jobst post of all time!
    >
    >Art Harris

    Yes, he can be a very witty fellow. Ah, if only he added the word "Humor" to the title of his reply
    -- the Google database has way too many entries from him to ferret out those gems.

    Anthony Leverock

    Tags:

  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, cdb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > what happened to him/where is he?

    He posts here frequently, probably two dozen posts in the past couple of weeks.

    > i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.

    Then you haven't been looking very close, or there's something seriously wrong with your
    news feed! ;-)

    > quick question i would have asked him:
    >
    > my 5yr-old mavic open pro rear rim just experienced a spoke ripping thru its wall, begging
    > replacement. what is the advisability of using the old spokes when lacing up the new rim? the
    > alloy nipples, some stripped, i will replace.

    Tape the new rim to the old and transfer the spokes over one at a time. It's in Jobst's book and
    there was a recent thread on this very topic, which you can find through Google.

  3. Tim McNamara wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, cdb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>what happened to him/where is he?
    >

    > He posts here frequently, probably two dozen posts in the past couple of weeks.

    He did, however, change his email address a while ago, so a search on his old email address won't
    turn anything new up.

    Sometimes it's useful to have an unusual first name, like Jobst (or Sheldon) because it's a lot
    easier to do useful Googles than for Tom, Dick or Harry.

    Sheldon "http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=sheldon&num=10&as_scoring=date&btnG=Google+Search&as_-
    oq=&as_epq=&as_eq=617-244-9772&as_ugroup=rec.bicycles.*&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&as_umsgid=&lr=&as-
    _drrb=quick&as_qdr=&as_mind=15&as_minm=8&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=3&as_maxy=2001" Brown
    +------------------------------------+
    | A good plan today is better than | a perfect plan tomorrow. | --David Mamet | (Wag the Dog,
    | Bulworth) |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 13:35:25 GMT, cdb <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what happened to him/where is he?
    >
    >i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.

    Just for laughs I did a Google Groups search and found 580 posts from Jobst to r.b.t since
    January 1, 2003.

  5. [email protected] (cdb) wrote:

    what happened to him/where is he?

    i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.

    He's here. We've had a couple of good arguments just recently ;-3) Could you have accidentally added
    his name to your kill-file list?

  6. cdb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > what happened to him/where is he?

    I can re-assure you that his contributions are a regular feature of this newsgroup.

    > i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.
    >
    > quick question i would have asked him:
    >
    > my 5yr-old mavic open pro rear rim just experienced a spoke ripping thru its wall, begging
    > replacement. what is the advisability of using the old spokes when lacing up the new rim? the
    > alloy nipples, some stripped, i will replace.

    Let me offer you a quote from "The Bicycle Wheel":

    "Replacing a rim...If the wheel..has no history of spoke failures, the spokes can be transferred
    from the damaged rim to a new one...Lay the new rim on top of the old one...unscrew nipples one at a
    time and transfer each spoke to the new rim"

    He goes on to say that is is important to leave the spokes in the hub and to use them in the same
    positions on the new wheel.

    > thanks for any pointers on that and jobst's status.
    >
    > -chris

    Andrew Webster

  7. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Chris
    Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

    > [email protected] (cdb) wrote:
    >
    > what happened to him/where is he?
    >
    > i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.
    >
    > He's here. We've had a couple of good arguments just recently ;-3) Could you have accidentally
    > added his name to your kill-file list?

    Chris, is there any way to add a quote string to the newsreader you use? It would make your posts so
    much easier to follow.

  8. nospam

    nospam Guest

    > what happened to him/where is he?
    He's still here. Trust me, he is.

    > i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.
    We had a pretty lively discusion just, what, last week, week and a half ago?

  9. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    Wheel building newbie here....

    Wouldn't the old spokes be stretched? Or is that the point of transferring them?

    NS

  10. cdb-<< i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him since at least 2002.

    he is here and make sure ya got yer helmet and flak jacket on if ya ask a 'stoopid question'...

    << my 5yr-old mavic open pro rear rim just experienced a spoke ripping thru its wall, begging
    replacement. what is the advisability of using the old spokes when lacing up the new rim? the alloy
    nipples, some stripped, i will replace.

    my bet is that he will say to re-use the spokes, get brass nipps....

  11. << Try: [email protected]

    Don't send him a personal E-mail, he really doesn't like that.....

  12. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

  13. W K

    W K Guest

    > cdb-<< i haven't lurked here in ages but don't see any posts here by him
    since
    > at least 2002.
    >
    > he is here and make sure ya got yer helmet and flak jacket on if ya ask a 'stoopid question'...

    Esp if not posting with your real name.

  14. On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, John Everett wrote:
    > >Don't send him a personal E-mail, he really doesn't like that.....
    > Not necessarily; I (and I assume others) have conducted amiable email exchanges with Jobst.

    The only caveat I have for you is not to duplicate in privatewhat you might be writing, to him,
    through the NG.

    Sergio Pisa

  15. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > << Try: [email protected]
    >
    > Don't send him a personal E-mail, he really doesn't like that.....

    I wouldn't say that - what he objects to is people sending the same message to his email and the
    newsgroup.

    --
    R.

    <> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements <> The tall blond one. always cause trouble." <>
    [email protected]

  16. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:fM%[email protected]...
    > Wheel building newbie here....
    >
    > Wouldn't the old spokes be stretched? Or is that the point of transferring them?

    The old spokes would (hopefully) be:

    1) Stress-relieved.

    2) Used enough that they are not going to fail due to fatigue - assuming that they have seen
    sufficient cycles to put them past the dog-leg in their SN curve.

    Tim.

    ---

  17. On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:35:48 +0000, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > << Try: [email protected]
    >

    > Don't send him a personal E-mail, he really doesn't like that.....

    I think that depends. I had one exchange with him -- he was a legend in the Bay Area when I was
    racing, and when I started reading this group, was pleasantly surprised to see him here. I basically
    told him that, and his reply was cordial. I keep comments about postings here to the group -- maybe
    it would annoy him (or anyone else) to get rebuttals filling up his inbox.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
    philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
    --The Dalai Lama

  18. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > I keep comments about postings here to the group -- maybe it would annoy him (or anyone else) to
    > get rebuttals filling up his inbox.

    Whether they fill up my inbox or not, I find emailed Usenet replies extremely annoying. Not because
    I mind email -- I welcome it. But I hate replying to an email, only to find out later that my reply
    should have been posted. Hey, if Im reading the group at all, I'll see it, dammit.

    Some people do this without realizing -- their mail/news programs are set to send both by default.
    And we all hit the wrong button occasionally.

    Matt O.

  19. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Matt O'Toole writes:

    >> I keep comments about postings here to the group -- maybe it would annoy him (or anyone else) to
    >> get rebuttals filling up his inbox.

    > Whether they fill up my inbox or not, I find emailed Usenet replies extremely annoying. Not
    > because I mind email -- I welcome it. But I hate replying to an email, only to find out later that
    > my reply should have been posted. Hey, if I'm reading the group at all, I'll see it, dammit.

    > Some people do this without realizing -- their mail/news programs are set to send both by default.
    > And we all hit the wrong button occasionally.

    This is exactly what I have responded to people who do this, and from the interpretation of my
    mail with wreck.bike subjects until I have read the newsgroup. There are still writers who are
    amazed that they can select many options and send their compositions to many destinations at a
    single click.

    These folks do not get an e-mail response.