Speaking of red light jumping......

Peter B

Guest
Had a couple of errands to do in town so pushed the MDG to one side and in those immortal words got
on me bike. Always a novelty for me to ride there to take in the cityscape and observe things. One
of the things I observed was a red traffic light which because I momentarily forgot I was on a bike
I stopped for. Well I stopped for several in fact but this one was noteworthy for the fact that it
was a left turn only and as I pulled up, gracefully unclipped and put me foot down in a steady and
relaxed manner, such was the warning given by the red light, an Arriva bus overtook and went through
the light as brazen as you like! Clearly the unseasonably mild weather has made things so topsy
turvey that cyclists now stop at red lights and professional, highly trained bus drivers don't, ok
maybe I was dreaming.

Apart from the aforementioned red lights the only other delays were caused by cars getting in my
way, oh well.....

Pete

> cyclists now stop at red lights and professional, highly trained bus drivers don't, ok maybe I was
> dreaming.

Bus drivers. Highly trained?.. You must be joking.

Some are good drivers, most are not.

"apsw07048<spam> @blueyonder.co.uk>" <"apsw07048<spam> wrote

> Bus drivers. Highly trained?.. You must be joking.
>
> Some are good drivers, most are not.

Yes, they apparently have difficulty recruiting enough bus drivers around here. Some of them have
little idea where the end of their bus is.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:57:38 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>... as I pulled up, gracefully unclipped and put me foot down in a steady and relaxed manner, such
>was the warning given by the red light, an Arriva bus overtook and went through the light as brazen
>as you like! Clearly the unseasonably mild weather has made things so topsy turvey that cyclists
>now stop at red lights and professional, highly trained bus drivers don't, ok maybe I was dreaming.

I regularly see brazen red light jumping by buses.

--
Dave...

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:01:42 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>they apparently have difficulty recruiting enough bus drivers around here. Some of them have little
>idea where the end of their bus is.

Be you in Reading? We have firemen commuting from Co. Durham, a shortage of bus drivers and similar
problems getting plod, nurses and teachers.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote

> >they apparently have difficulty recruiting enough bus drivers around here. Some of them have
> >little idea where the end of their bus is.
>
> Be you in Reading? We have firemen commuting from Co. Durham, a shortage of bus drivers and
> similar problems getting plod, nurses and teachers.

No, I be in Bristol. (mostly)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:44:25 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Be you in Reading? We have firemen commuting from Co. Durham, a shortage of bus drivers and
>> similar problems getting plod, nurses and teachers.
>No, I be in Bristol. (mostly)

What Reading recruitment "consultants" refer to as "M4 corridor" then
(i.e. nowhere near the M4) ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

news:eek:[email protected]...

> What Reading recruitment "consultants" refer to as "M4 corridor" then
> (i.e. nowhere near the M4) ;-)

Oi'd sooner live "inside the M25" as I the "M4 corridor" is a bit draughty I hears.

Pete

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:31:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oi'd sooner live "inside the M25" as I the "M4 corridor" is a bit draughty I hears.

I saw how deep they dug the footings for the M25. It's definitely a sinister plot - they are going
to put a giant glass dome over it to protect London when the cagers finally wreck the UK climate and
the gulf stream turns off.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:31:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oi'd sooner live "inside the M25" as I the "M4 corridor" is a bit draughty I hears.
>
> I saw how deep they dug the footings for the M25. It's definitely a sinister plot - they are going
> to put a giant glass dome over it to protect London when the cagers finally wreck the UK climate
> and the gulf stream turns off.

Mmmm, the UK will be far more fun when the Gulf Stream turns off. Lots of snow, lots of ice, yee
haaa. Where's me car keys?

(Spoken as a NZealander who can go back there if it gets really dire ;-)

Trev

Trevor Barton wrote:

> Mmmm, the UK will be far more fun when the Gulf Stream turns off. Lots of snow, lots of ice, yee
> haaa. Where's me car keys?

That's why we've all got to busy ourselves ensuring global warming otherwise it'll be damn
cold here ;-)

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> Trevor Barton wrote:
>
>>Mmmm, the UK will be far more fun when the Gulf Stream turns off. Lots of snow, lots of ice, yee
>>haaa. Where's me car keys?
>>

> That's why we've all got to busy ourselves ensuring global warming otherwise it'll be damn cold
> here ;-)

Trouble is it's the "global warming" that may be going to switch off the Gulf Stream...or maybe
not..feeling lucky, Tony?

James

James Annan wrote:

> Trouble is it's the "global warming" that may be going to switch off the Gulf Stream...or maybe
> not..feeling lucky, Tony?

Allegedly. I spent most of my early years being told that the world was heading for the next ice
age. Woe betide any scientist that said otherwise. Now the bandwagon is rolling in the opposite
direction and woe betide anyone that says otherwise. Both bandwagons continually threatened the Gulf
Stream would switch off. Me? I treat the pronouncements of climate change environmentalists and
politicians with the same scepticism.

Tony

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:55:39 -0000, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I spent most of my early years being told that the world was heading for the next ice age. Woe
>betide any scientist that said otherwise. Now the bandwagon is rolling in the opposite direction
>and woe betide anyone that says otherwise. Both bandwagons continually threatened the Gulf Stream
>would switch off. Me? I treat the pronouncements of climate change environmentalists and
>politicians with the same scepticism.

Me, I consider the potential downside of believing the wrong side. Believe the Global Climate
Coalition's "strong" science and if they are wrong you get a global climate catastrophe. Believe the
doomsayers and they are wrong, you save some energy unnecessarily and have needlessly cleaner air.

Guy
===

Tony Raven wrote:

> would switch off. Me? I treat the pronouncements of climate change environmentalists and
> politicians with the same scepticism.

Climate change scientists are mainly saying they're not sure but are outlining possibilities.
Politicians, OTOH, are saying either what they think we want to hear or outlining what they think we
don't want to hear as something to avoid. Not the same thing.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Me, I consider the potential downside of believing the wrong side. Believe the Global Climate
> Coalition's "strong" science and if they are wrong you get a global climate catastrophe. Believe
> the doomsayers and they are wrong, you save some energy unnecessarily and have needlessly
> cleaner air.

Unless we are really heading for the next ice age in which case we need all the warming we
can get ;-)

Me, until we get back to the 15th century temperatures when you could make wine in Yorkshire I'm
prepared to wait and see. YMMV

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> James Annan wrote:
>
>>Trouble is it's the "global warming" that may be going to switch off the Gulf Stream...or maybe
>>not..feeling lucky, Tony?
>>

> Allegedly. I spent most of my early years being told that the world was heading for the next
> ice age.

Without the interference of humans, I think it's fair to say that it would probably descend into an
ice age in a few thousand years. In geological terms, we are about due for one. That's a rather
different scale of problem from the much more abrupt changes that we are now forcing.

> Woe betide any scientist that said otherwise. Now the bandwagon is rolling in the opposite
> direction and woe betide anyone that says otherwise. Both bandwagons continually threatened the
> Gulf Stream would switch off. Me? I treat the pronouncements of climate change environmentalists
> and politicians with the same scepticism.

There's nobody else out there going to fix things for you, Tony. It's as much your responsibility to
take the problem seriously as anyone else's. If reasonably clever people like you are determined to
stick your heads into the sand then the future really is likely to be a messy one.

James

James Annan wrote:

> Without the interference of humans, I think it's fair to say that it would probably descend into
> an ice age in a few thousand years. In geological terms, we are about due for one. That's a rather
> different scale of problem from the much more abrupt changes that we are now forcing.

Suggest you look back to the sixties and early seventies. The next ice age was every bit as imminent
then as global warming is today

> If reasonably clever people like you are determined to stick your heads into the sand then the
> future really is likely to be a messy one.

There we go again. As I said woe betide anyone who doesn't back the orthodoxy.

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> James Annan wrote:
>
>>Without the interference of humans, I think it's fair to say that it would probably descend into
>>an ice age in a few thousand years. In geological terms, we are about due for one. That's a rather
>>different scale of problem from the much more abrupt changes that we are now forcing.
>>

> Suggest you look back to the sixties and early seventies. The next ice age was every bit as
> imminent then as global warming is today

I suggest you back up that with some references, or, since they do not exist, admit that you are
wrong. If you want some clues you could start with http://www.wmc.care4free.net/sci/iceage/

James

James Annan wrote:

> I suggest you back up that with some references, or, since they do not exist, admit that you are
> wrong. If you want some clues you could start with http://www.wmc.care4free.net/sci/iceage/

Thanks for the references. I think the first reference, the Newsweek article from 1975, sums it up
completely for me. http://www.wmc.care4free.net/sci/iceage/newsweek-1975.html It reads exactly like
the global warming articles of today except that it is talking about global cooling as evidenced by
large increases in northern hemisphere snow coverage, shortened growing seasons, drops in average
temperatures, big increase in storm activity.

The sentences "But they (the scientists) are almost unanimous in the view that the trend will reduce
agricultural productivity for the rest of the century. If the climatic change is as profound as some
of the pessimists fear, the resulting famines could be catastrophic." But absolutelty you say, the
rest of that century was racked by catastrophic famimes so they were right. Except it was predicted
based on global cooling.

I recommend everyone who has an interest in global warming read it.

Tony