Special cassette removal tool that doesn't need a chain whip?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    so my memory isn't exactly clear.

    Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml

    Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    > observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    > so my memory isn't exactly clear.
    >
    > Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    > http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
    >
    > Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    There's this http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=89394887321&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Fre
    ehub%20and%20Freewheel&tc=Cassette%20Cracker&item_id=SN-HC

    You don't need a chainwhip to install a lockring but you do to remove it unless you use the
    above tool.

    Mike

  3. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    :
    : Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    : http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
    :
    : Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
    :
    : --
    : Slacker
    :
    :

    Dunno if the tool exists but are you sure it wasn't the hub itself that didn't require it? The Mavic
    CrossMax's that I run don't need a chain whip. The cassette just pops right off after unscrewing the
    caps with an allen wrench on each side. Very easy and convenient.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

    --

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dunno if the tool exists but are you sure it wasn't the hub itself that didn't require it? The
    > Mavic CrossMax's that I run don't need a chain
    whip.
    > The cassette just pops right off after unscrewing the caps with an allen wrench on each side. Very
    > easy and convenient.

    The cassette pops off? I'm the new owner of some Crossmax's and I wanted that cassette off today. I
    want to change the spoke protector to the Mavic supplied one.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.) .

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    > observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    > so my memory isn't exactly clear.
    >
    > Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    > http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
    >
    > Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

    I can't find a pic, but I have seen descriptions of a "chainless" chain whip. It is about the size
    of a chain whip, but instead of ending with a piece of chain, in ends with a crescent-shaped section
    that has a series of "rollers" between two plates. These rollers engage the sprocket just like a
    chain whip, but will only engage one (or a few) size of cog. The advantage is probably a surer hold
    than a chain whip, plus easier engagement.

    -RjC.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
    > I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    > observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    > so my memory isn't exactly clear.

    That's simply an alternative to a crescent wrench for holding freewheel removers and it's probably
    not what you are looking for. What you want is a Hypercracker but this no longer exists. Lifu makes
    a cassette cracker with a handle on it and that is probably what you saw, but it does still require
    a chain whip unless you put the wheel back on the bike with the tool in place and pedal OR make a
    spyder to go behind the cassette and brace it against the spokes. http://www.ramsays-
    online.com/lifuhgwrench.jpg

    --
    _________________________

  7. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    > observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    > so my memory isn't exactly clear.
    >
    > Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    > http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
    >
    > Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    J A Stein makes a chainless chain whip-type tool: > http://www.jastein.com/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

    On mine it says Hyper Handle, but as you can see, the web site calls it a Hyperglide Lockring Tool.
    YOu still need a lockring remover, so I do what the mechanic you saw most likely does- I use A Park
    Chain Whip (SR-1) to turn the lockring removal tool. I use the back end of the chain whip, which is
    specifically designed to fit lockring removal tools. In the years I have owned these two tools, I
    have never actually used the chain whip.

    Miles

  8. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

  9. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    Michael Paul wrote:
    > "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > I have never actually used the chain whip.
    >
    >>Miles
    >>

    > noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:)
    >
    > Michael

    Two words for you, Michael: Type Better. Two other words: Spell Check. Two more words: It's Getting
    Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

    Miles

  10. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Michael Paul wrote:
    > > "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I have never actually used the chain whip.
    > >
    > >>Miles
    > >>

    > > noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:)
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >

    > Two words for you, Michael: Type Better. Two other words: Spell Check. Two more words: It's
    > Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

    Six words: He was only one key off.

    Mike - I'll give points for funny too. ;^)

  11. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Michael Paul wrote:
    > > > "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I have never actually used the chain whip.

    > > > noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:)
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > > >

    > > Two words for you, Michael: Type Better. Two other words: Spell Check. Two more words: It's
    > > Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)
    > >

    > Six words: He was only one key off.
    >
    > Mike - I'll give points for funny too. ;^)

    hehehe, yeah, I just talked with Miles about that one and for the life of me I can't figure out why
    I used a y instead of a t. Cripes, it's not even the correct hand! funny thing is, I was killing
    time the other day playing a stupid typing game on Yahoo and I was kicking ass!

    Oh well, I vow to be more careful in my typing skills. Especially since I just figured out that
    Outlook express has a spell checker! Who'd ever have thought that? I've only been using the damn
    program for 2 years and just now figured out it has one!

    Michael - needs all the points he can get 'cuz he ain't got much else to count on!

  12. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    > observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    > so my memory isn't exactly clear.
    >
    > Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    > http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
    >
    > Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    Pedros makes a wrench that can be used in place of a chainwhip.

  13. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
    > observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
    > so my memory isn't exactly clear.
    >
    > Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
    > http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
    >
    > Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

    I saw this the other day:

    http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/hypercracker.htm

    How to make your own.

    BTW, this is a good touring site (they are riding from UK to Australia - a hell of a ride!)

    Tim