Special cassette removal tool that doesn't need a chain whip?

Slacker

Guest
I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
so my memory isn't exactly clear.

Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml

Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

--
Slacker

> I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
> observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
> so my memory isn't exactly clear.
>
> Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
> http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
>
> Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
>
> --
> Slacker

There's this http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=89394887321&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Fre
ehub%20and%20Freewheel&tc=Cassette%20Cracker&item_id=SN-HC

You don't need a chainwhip to install a lockring but you do to remove it unless you use the
above tool.

Mike

:
: Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
: http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
:
: Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
:
: --
: Slacker
:
:

Dunno if the tool exists but are you sure it wasn't the hub itself that didn't require it? The Mavic
CrossMax's that I run don't need a chain whip. The cassette just pops right off after unscrewing the
caps with an allen wrench on each side. Very easy and convenient.

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dunno if the tool exists but are you sure it wasn't the hub itself that didn't require it? The
> Mavic CrossMax's that I run don't need a chain
whip.
> The cassette just pops right off after unscrewing the caps with an allen wrench on each side. Very
> easy and convenient.

The cassette pops off? I'm the new owner of some Crossmax's and I wanted that cassette off today. I
want to change the spoke protector to the Mavic supplied one.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.) .

In article <[email protected]>, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
> observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
> so my memory isn't exactly clear.
>
> Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
> http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
>
> Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

I can't find a pic, but I have seen descriptions of a "chainless" chain whip. It is about the size
of a chain whip, but instead of ending with a piece of chain, in ends with a crescent-shaped section
that has a series of "rollers" between two plates. These rollers engage the sprocket just like a
chain whip, but will only engage one (or a few) size of cog. The advantage is probably a surer hold
than a chain whip, plus easier engagement.

-RjC.

In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
> I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
> observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
> so my memory isn't exactly clear.

That's simply an alternative to a crescent wrench for holding freewheel removers and it's probably
not what you are looking for. What you want is a Hypercracker but this no longer exists. Lifu makes
a cassette cracker with a handle on it and that is probably what you saw, but it does still require
a chain whip unless you put the wheel back on the bike with the tool in place and pedal OR make a
spyder to go behind the cassette and brace it against the spokes. http://www.ramsays-
online.com/lifuhgwrench.jpg

--
_________________________

Slacker wrote:
> I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
> observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
> so my memory isn't exactly clear.
>
> Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
> http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
>
> Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
>
> --
> Slacker

J A Stein makes a chainless chain whip-type tool: > http://www.jastein.com/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

On mine it says Hyper Handle, but as you can see, the web site calls it a Hyperglide Lockring Tool.
YOu still need a lockring remover, so I do what the mechanic you saw most likely does- I use A Park
Chain Whip (SR-1) to turn the lockring removal tool. I use the back end of the chain whip, which is
specifically designed to fit lockring removal tools. In the years I have owned these two tools, I
have never actually used the chain whip.

Miles

Michael Paul wrote:
> "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> I have never actually used the chain whip.
>
>>Miles
>>

> noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:)
>
> Michael

Two words for you, Michael: Type Better. Two other words: Spell Check. Two more words: It's Getting
Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

Miles

"miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Michael Paul wrote:
> > "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I have never actually used the chain whip.
> >
> >>Miles
> >>

> > noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:)
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Two words for you, Michael: Type Better. Two other words: Spell Check. Two more words: It's
> Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

Six words: He was only one key off.

Mike - I'll give points for funny too. ;^)

> "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Michael Paul wrote:
> > > "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > I have never actually used the chain whip.

> > > noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:)
> > >
> > > Michael
> > >

> > Two words for you, Michael: Type Better. Two other words: Spell Check. Two more words: It's
> > Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)
> >

> Six words: He was only one key off.
>
> Mike - I'll give points for funny too. ;^)

hehehe, yeah, I just talked with Miles about that one and for the life of me I can't figure out why
I used a y instead of a t. Cripes, it's not even the correct hand! funny thing is, I was killing
time the other day playing a stupid typing game on Yahoo and I was kicking ass!

Oh well, I vow to be more careful in my typing skills. Especially since I just figured out that
Outlook express has a spell checker! Who'd ever have thought that? I've only been using the damn
program for 2 years and just now figured out it has one!

Michael - needs all the points he can get 'cuz he ain't got much else to count on!

> I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
> observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
> so my memory isn't exactly clear.
>
> Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
> http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
>
> Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
>
> --
> Slacker

Pedros makes a wrench that can be used in place of a chainwhip.

> I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I assumed it was a Park. I
> observed this guy taking off and installing a cassette with nothing more than something like this
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip. This was about a year ago,
> so my memory isn't exactly clear.
>
> Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
> http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
>
> Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

I saw this the other day:

http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/hypercracker.htm

How to make your own.

BTW, this is a good touring site (they are riding from UK to Australia - a hell of a ride!)

Tim