Special treatment of "pretty people"

BassDave

Jun 30, 2004
I was watching the news this morning and there were a bunch of 'cookie cutter' boys (teens, early twenties) on there trying out for some modeling job and it got me thinking. Models, whether male or female, and for the most part, really good looking people tend to be treated much better and become idolized, in a way. Here's my question/statement:

Being extra attractive isn't anything the person did personally. It doesn't take any extra talent or mental abilities. They're basically employable soley on appearances. I realize that genetics has a part to play in this, but I wonder why these people get special treatment? They would be chosen (probably a higher percentage of the time) over a less attractive person for a job, if both had the same resume`. When's the last time you saw an attractive homeless person?

Now, some may have other talents. They may have a very keen mind, they may be able to play a musical instrument well, . . . . but this is about those who get by on looks alone.

Dave,

I can see where you're coming from on this.
Although I've got to say I don't think that it is as blatant where I come from -
goodlooking people don't automatically get everything.

But your point got me thinking - a lot of the really good looking women I know never ended up in a stable relationship with anyone.
of course, they were pursued and they enjoyed the attention but few of them
settled down.
maybe that is more of a reflection on the men who pursued them rather than the person themselves.

You say genetics plays a part. I say it's all genetics (..okay, maybe there's also that glimmer of hope of hooking up or getting a small taste of what it's like to be beautiful through association). We are all genetically programmed to prefer beauty - it's symmetry, perfection, survival of the fittest, finding the person most able to carry on our genes, etc.

Yes, but for that trait to be your "money maker", when you may or may not have other talents, is what I'm talking about.

And there may be a correlation of being one of the "pretty people" and going through more partners than a person should.

Then you have the misfortune of getting older, loosing your "pretty person" status, and if it was your only redeeming quality, loosing your self worth. I think that our society may do a dis-service to many people, not just the "pretty people", but to the less desirable that see themselves as less than worthy because they don't look like the airbrushed model in the magazine.

Some are born with talent and some are born with looks and then there are us fortuante ones that have it all.

BassDave said:
Yes, but for that trait to be your "money maker", when you may or may not have other talents, is what I'm talking about.

And there may be a correlation of being one of the "pretty people" and going through more partners than a person should.

Then you have the misfortune of getting older, loosing your "pretty person" status, and if it was your only redeeming quality, loosing your self worth. I think that our society may do a dis-service to many people, not just the "pretty people", but to the less desirable that see themselves as less than worthy because they don't look like the airbrushed model in the magazine.

I agree, Dave.
Pick up any publication these days and the focus is on tyring to maintain ones looks - products are sold on the basis of making "you look younger/more attractive = better".

limerickman said:
I agree, Dave.
Pick up any publication these days and the focus is on tyring to maintain ones looks - products are sold on the basis of making "you look younger/more attractive = better".
In the spirit of the post ......

wolfix said:
In the spirit of the post ......

MMMmmmmmm. . . . pretty people are nice!! . . . . Mmm .

In about 10 or especially 20 years, that same girl could do that same pose, in the same *cough* outfit and we may be saying, "EEeww, she really needs to dress her age!" :p

Really, I only know of one attractive older lady, has kids who are grown and married. She has some rinkle lines and her hair is greyish in tint, but she still has attractive features. So, it can last later in years, it is just my tends to dissipate rapidly after 40.

BassDave said:
MMMmmmmmm. . . . pretty people are nice!! . . . . Mmm .

In about 10 or especially 20 years, that same girl could do that same pose, in the same *cough* outfit and we may be saying, "EEeww, she really needs to dress her age!" :p

yep,

and people think they can just have plastic surgery to look younger...a 49 year old woman who has had plastic surgery doesnt suddenly look 30 again. She looks like a 49 year old who has had surgery, she aint foolin' anyone.

there are some pretty girls that know they look good and start to flirt to get thier own way, and us guys just cant resist it...its all our fault.

Bikerman2004 said:
Is there a doctor in the house? See lim, if you would stop “sticking around” you could go get some reality….

Thanks for the advise.

And while I have your attention - I see Parmalat are back trading.
Quoted on the stock exchange no less.
Guess it wasn't a fraud after all, eh ?

Any news of when Enron's going to come back ?
Thought not.

Bikerman2004 said:
Where I come from that would be "advice"...

Yeah, Parmalat.
You claimed that Parmalat was a fraud - if I recall you said it was on par with Enron, non ?
I told you at the time you were wrong, but you didn't heed me.
Still.

Parmalat commenced trading on the stock exchange earlier this week.

limerickman said:
Yeah, Parmalat.
You claimed that Parmalat was a fraud - if I recall you said it was on par with Enron, non ?
I told you at the time you were wrong, but you didn't heed me.
Still.

Parmalat commenced trading on the stock exchange earlier this week.
Were you giving me "advise"? or "Advice"?

BassDave said:
...Then you have the misfortune of getting older, loosing your "pretty person" status, and if it was your only redeeming quality, loosing your self worth.
They just glom onto the money while the great looks are still there. After the divorce lawyers take their cut, they can deal with the self-worth issues later with a bottle of high-priced hootch, a new poodle, and a villa on the Riviera.

jhuskey said:
Some are born with talent and some are born with looks and then there are us fortuante ones that have it all.
Except the ability to type accurately.......