SPECIALIZED & 8 inch rotors???!!!

mangoM4

Mar 22, 2004
I am building up a 2003 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame (large). I'll be running a 2004 Marzocchi EXR Pro Coil up front. Wheels will be a Sun Singltrack/XT affair. I weigh 165 lbs. I would like to run Avid's mechanical discs with 8 inch rotors f&r. Specialized and Marzocchi say to use 6 inch rotors but wouldn't give me a straight answer in regards to if the frame/fork would break. Is anyone running 8 inch rotors with standard dropouts out there? Am I at risk for a catastrophic failure? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by mangoM4
I am building up a 2003 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame (large). I'll be running a 2004 Marzocchi EXR Pro Coil up front. Wheels will be a Sun Singltrack/XT affair. I weigh 165 lbs. I would like to run Avid's mechanical discs with 8 inch rotors f&r. Specialized and Marzocchi say to use 6 inch rotors but wouldn't give me a straight answer in regards to if the frame/fork would break. Is anyone running 8 inch rotors with standard dropouts out there? Am I at risk for a catastrophic failure? Thanks in advance!
One of the MTB rags just had an article about one of the manufacturers recalling and not using the larger discs because of problems I will find it and post it cant remember enough of what it said SO keep checking as soon as I find it I'll put it on here.

Originally posted by Mr.- B6300
One of the MTB rags just had an article about one of the manufacturers recalling and not using the larger discs because of problems I will find it and post it cant remember enough of what it said SO keep checking as soon as I find it I'll put it on here.

The recall you refer to was done by specialized in some enduro models. They had Fox front shocks with (203mm) 8" rotors. Fox said they would refuse to warranty any of those forks because they don't certify their forks for any rotor larger than 180mm. It has nothing to do with the dropouts and 8" rotors as many people incorrectly believe. Fox says they have not fully tested how well the caliper mounts withstand an 8" rotor so they don't recomend them.

Originally posted by Hecubus
The recall you refer to was done by specialized in some enduro models. They had Fox front shocks with (203mm) 8" rotors. Fox said they would refuse to warranty any of those forks because they don't certify their forks for any rotor larger than 180mm. It has nothing to do with the dropouts and 8" rotors as many people incorrectly believe. Fox says they have not fully tested how well the caliper mounts withstand an 8" rotor so they don't recomend them.
THANKS for clearing that up I have gone through a bunch of my mags and cant find where I read it
I did'nt want to say too much w/o re reading and then posting DId you see it in a mag ( which one I know I didint hallucinate it ):confused: It was obviously somthing different then I thought
Thanks again

It was in mountain bike action as well as their webpage if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the model was the enduro or the big hit but it was one of those two for sure.

Thanks at least I know which ones to look through now ( I have my own curiosity Peaked)