Specialized Allez/Cannondale/Custom

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Saint, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Saint

    Saint Guest

    Hi All

    I am on the quest for a second (or first i.e. 'posh',
    whichever way you look at it) road bike and have really
    liked the look of the Specialized Allez Comp and Cannondale
    R500 models. I am also (still!) toying with the odea of
    getting a custom build with a full campag groupset for
    around £900.

    Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of
    either of the above models? Never ridden a Cannondale
    but having read the archives some seem to love 'em and
    some the opposite. Also looks like you pay a bit over
    the odds for the name too and must confess not too
    thrilled at the components (full Tiagra I think!)
    although they are servicable. Specialized is pricey at
    £1300 but looks the business.

    The more I learn the more I understand that 'names'
    matter less but they both look like nice bikes so just
    thought I'd ask.

    Best wishes.

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Saint" <[email protected]_spam.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am on the quest for a second (or first i.e. 'posh',
    > whichever way you
    look
    > at it) road bike and have really liked the look of the
    > Specialized Allez Comp and Cannondale R500 models. I am
    > also (still!) toying with the odea
    of
    > getting a custom build with a full campag groupset for
    > around £900.
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of
    > either of the above models? Never ridden a Cannondale but
    > having read the archives some seem
    > love 'em and some the opposite. Also looks like you pay a
    > bit over the
    odds
    > for the name too and must confess not too thrilled at the
    > components (full Tiagra I think!) although they are
    > servicable. Specialized is pricey at £1300 but looks the
    > business.

    I'm a little confused as to why you're comparing a £700
    Cannondale www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=4360 with a
    £900 custom build and £1300 Specialized? Spend £1349 on a
    'dale and you'll get something better:
    www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=3081

    Re. the 'dale: I've owned one for nearly 2 years now (R900)
    and can't fault it, sure the ride did seem harsher than the
    Columbus SLX steel tubed bike it replaced but not
    distractingly so and on the open road I love it. I was in a
    similar position of choosing between an Italian framed
    Campag equipped custom build or the 'dale but the latter
    was better VFM with a discount but more importantly I was
    able to test ride it before committing. I would advise you
    to test ride, you want to live with this bike for a few
    years I imagine.
    --
    Regards, Pete

  3. Saint

    Saint Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Saint" <[email protected]_spam.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I am on the quest for a second (or first i.e. 'posh',
    > > whichever way you
    > look
    > > at it) road bike and have really liked the look of the
    > > Specialized Allez Comp and Cannondale R500 models. I am
    > > also (still!) toying with the
    odea
    > of
    > > getting a custom build with a full campag groupset for
    > > around £900.
    > >
    > > Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of
    > > either of the
    above
    > > models? Never ridden a Cannondale but having read the
    > > archives some
    seem
    > > love 'em and some the opposite. Also looks like you pay
    > > a bit over the
    > odds
    > > for the name too and must confess not too thrilled at
    > > the components
    (full
    > > Tiagra I think!) although they are servicable.
    > > Specialized is pricey at £1300 but looks the business.
    >
    > I'm a little confused as to why you're comparing a £700
    > Cannondale www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=4360 with
    > a £900 custom build and £1300 Specialized? Spend £1349 on
    > a 'dale and you'll get something better:
    > www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=3081

    Point taken Pete. However I wasn't really comparing them
    like for like - rather they were both just machines I liked
    the look of.

    > Re. the 'dale: I've owned one for nearly 2 years now
    > (R900) and can't
    fault
    > it, sure the ride did seem harsher than the Columbus SLX
    > steel tubed bike it replaced but not distractingly so and
    > on the open road I love it. I was in a similar position
    > of choosing between an Italian framed Campag equipped
    > custom build or the 'dale but the latter was better VFM
    > with a discount but more importantly I was able to test
    > ride it before
    committing.
    > I would advise you to test ride, you want to live with
    > this bike for a few years I imagine.

    Hmm, stupidly I hadn't really considered that (doh!). The
    shop that do customs have a great reputation and have been
    making their own stuff for years. I am sure they would have
    a test bike somewhere along similar lines but I guess it is
    a serious consideration for any custom build bike. Wonder
    how other people who take that option approach it?

    Cheers

  4. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Just put together a Spesh Allez Comp complete with Centaur 9 and Campag Eurus wheels. Took him (Demon Dog) on his maiden voyage yesterday and was amazed from a few perspectives. Firstly the frame is very stiff, i weigh 13 stone so i'd be one of the first to notice if there were any flex in the bottom bracket...i can fully confirm there isn't !
    Miraculously though it's such a comfortable ride, much more comfortable than my old Giant CFR 1 carbon bike, i feel every bump in the road riding that. I was a little apprehensive at first because aluminium has garnered bad press for having a rather harsh ride but i needn't have worried.
    Secondly this bike is bloody quick ! every ounce of my energy is transferred to the wheels, feels so effortless to ride, as if i'm floating on air...yes i know..sounds rather far fetched and Twighlight Zone.ish but it's the best way i can describe what i'm feeling when i ride the bike.
    Now the downside, if you consider it to be one, i personally don't. Because of the compact design and short wheel base the handling is very quick indeed, great for whizzing around corners but not so stable when coasting in a straight line.
    Thirdly the colour scheme turns heads haha..Got the red and white striped one and i've already had loads of admiring looks from passers by. Good to be noticed while out on a new bike :)
    Actually the design of the frame was the deciding factor in buying it...looks so different from run of the mill traditional. Haven't the foggiest whether the aero seatube is only there for cosmetic reasons but i don't care anyway because it looks great ! Also adore the shape of the downtube which goes from oval at the top to almost round, looks hot. Think i'm in love
    :p

  5. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    "Saint" <[email protected]_spam.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am on the quest for a second (or first i.e. 'posh',
    > whichever way you
    look
    > at it) road bike and have really liked the look of the
    > Specialized Allez Comp and Cannondale R500 models. I am
    > also (still!) toying with the odea
    of
    > getting a custom build with a full campag groupset for
    > around £900.
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of
    > either of the above models? Never ridden a Cannondale but
    > having read the archives some seem
    > love 'em and some the opposite. Also looks like you pay a
    > bit over the
    odds
    > for the name too and must confess not too thrilled at the
    > components (full Tiagra I think!) although they are
    > servicable. Specialized is pricey at £1300 but looks the
    > business.
    >
    > The more I learn the more I understand that 'names' matter
    > less but they both look like nice bikes so just thought
    > I'd ask.

    When I was shopping for a new bike, I took the Allez Comp
    '03 out for a spin. Although I ended up with a cheaper
    bike, it was responsible for confirming that I wanted a
    decent groupset. I appreciate that Sora - Ultegra
    comparisons are unfair, but the performance of the front
    shifting on the Allez was ground-breaking by comparison to
    the Dawes Giro 500.

    Incidentally, I ended up with the '03 Giant OCR 1T (The 105
    equipped one). Compared to the old steel framed Claud Butler
    it's an amazing bike, but sadly they downgraded the
    equipment spec for the '04 range.

    Finally. When I was in France I visited Daniel Salmon's shop
    in Britanny. For £1400 (Less than the Allez Comp was when I
    rode it) you can get an Ultegra equipped, carbon monocoque
    frame, forks and even handlebars. I didn't get a chance to
    test it, but I'd put good money on it being fun!

    Jon

    P.S. By custom build, do you mean choosing the equipment to
    go on a stock frame or having a custom frame made to
    suit your build?

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.624 /
    Virus Database: 401 - Release Date: 15/03/2004

  6. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:35:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

    > Incidentally, I ended up with the '03 Giant OCR 1T (The
    > 105 equipped one). Compared to the old steel framed Claud
    > Butler it's an amazing bike, but sadly they downgraded the
    > equipment spec for the '04 range.

    That's one way of looking at it. Another is to say that
    Giant restructured its product ranges so that the best bike
    in the OCR range is the new, Campagnolo Mirage equipped, OCR
    0. I don't know how the prices compare.

    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "He loves nature in spite
    of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

  7. trembler50

    trembler50 New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    I am a self confessed Cannondale addict. I have 2 x MTBs and 1 x Road Cannondale.

    The thing about them is:_

    1. All Cannondale frames are very good. They are very light, very fast and very stiff and are built and finished to a very high standard.
    2. That means that the standard kit tends to be of lower spec than the competition to make them competitive. So buying a new Cannondale is a long term proposition as people tend to upgrade the bits.
    3. This also means that second hand Cannondales have been upgraded to a much higher spec.

    The frames are long lasting and have a life time warranty.

    Try one and get hooked!

  8. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:53:46 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

    > When I was looking at the OCR 1T there was another "Team
    > Once" Giant which was Campag equipped. I've no idea which
    > groupset, as I've always been a Shimano man so I never got
    > my head around the Campag groups. I'm not sure that this
    > didn't become the OCR 0.
    >
    > "Restructuring" is a very Dilbert word. ;-)

    You're right. What they've in effect done is remove the old
    OCR1 specification from the range and shifted everything
    else up a rung so the the OCR2 becomes the OCR1. Same thing
    in the FCR range - my wife has a Tiagra equipped FCR2, now
    called an FCR1. Bit cheeky that, I think. Still, looking at
    my LBS website, they aren't trying to charge last year's
    FCR1 price for this year's FCR1. I think it would have been
    better and less misleading had they completely changed the
    names within the range.
    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I didn't attend the
    funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."

  9. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Specialized have a lifetime warranty too:)

  10. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    It IS the business! (the 03 model looks unique)

  11. On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:05:10 +0000 (UTC), Saint wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I am on the quest for a second (or first i.e. 'posh',
    > whichever way you look at it) road bike and have really
    > liked the look of the Specialized Allez Comp and
    > Cannondale R500 models. I am also (still!) toying with the
    > odea of getting a custom build with a full campag groupset
    > for around £900.
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of
    > either of the above models? Never ridden a Cannondale but
    > having read the archives some seem to love 'em and some
    > the opposite. Also looks like you pay a bit over the odds
    > for the name too and must confess not too thrilled at the
    > components (full Tiagra I think!) although they are
    > servicable. Specialized is pricey at £1300 but looks the
    > business.
    >
    > The more I learn the more I understand that 'names' matter
    > less but they both look like nice bikes so just thought
    > I'd ask.
    >
    > Best wishes.

    There was some talk on the cyclingplus forum about the
    Specialized Allez Comp having a problem with breaking
    chainstays. Perhaps you should check this out.

    The most important thing is that the bike fits you. Set a
    budget, go to a proper bike shop with a fitting jig, forget
    the labels and buy the bike that's best for you. This could
    be a Giant or a Bianchi or any of a dozen other makes
    besides Specialized and Cannondale (both of these names I
    associate primarily with mountain bikes - am I alone?)

    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've just learned about
    his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S.

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > other makes besides Specialized and Cannondale (both of
    > these names I associate primarily with mountain bikes - am
    > I alone?)

    Both have been instrumental in the development of the MTB
    and because far more actual development has happened on
    MTBs than road machinery their innovations in MTBs have
    rather overshadowed the more "business as usual" road
    side. But certainly Cannondale were well respected for
    touring and other road machines machines way back before
    MTBs were Big News. Cannondale's first ever bike was a
    tourer, back in '83.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >
    >> other makes besides Specialized and Cannondale (both of
    >> these names I associate primarily with mountain bikes -
    >> am I alone?)
    >
    > Both have been instrumental in the development of the MTB
    > and because far more actual development has happened on
    > MTBs than road machinery their innovations in MTBs have
    > rather overshadowed the more "business as usual" road
    > side. But certainly Cannondale were well respected for
    > touring and other road machines machines way back before
    > MTBs were Big News. Cannondale's first ever bike was a
    > tourer, back in '83.

    And Cannondale currently have a road bike you can buy off
    the shelf which weighs in at at 14.7lbs. If you're rich
    enough, of course. Very nice indeed.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ /-\ You have discovered a
    |you like to
    | | * Be completely ignored (default)?
    | | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how
    | | much we care?
    \_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

  14. On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:35:10 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >>
    >>> other makes besides Specialized and Cannondale (both of
    >>> these names I associate primarily with mountain bikes -
    >>> am I alone?)
    >>
    >> Both have been instrumental in the development of the MTB
    >> and because far more actual development has happened on
    >> MTBs than road machinery their innovations in MTBs have
    >> rather overshadowed the more "business as usual" road
    >> side. But certainly Cannondale were well respected for
    >> touring and other road machines machines way back before
    >> MTBs were Big News. Cannondale's first ever bike was a
    >> tourer, back in '83.
    >
    > And Cannondale currently have a road bike you can buy off
    > the shelf which weighs in at at 14.7lbs. If you're rich
    > enough, of course. Very nice indeed.

    I thought the UCI limit was 6.9kg (15.21 lbs)?
    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "His mother should have
    thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

  15. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    [email protected] says...

    > I thought the UCI limit was 6.9kg (15.21 lbs)?

    It is. Hence Cannondales "Free My Cannondale" advertising
    campaign. The bike is the Six13 (IIRC) and is apparently
    "rather nice"!

    Jon

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > I thought the UCI limit was 6.9kg (15.21 lbs)?

    What? The UCI with their heads up their arses citing random
    numbers and specifications for the definition of a bike?
    Shurely Shome Mishtake? ;-/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > It is. Hence Cannondales "Free My Cannondale" advertising
    > campaign.

    I it's "Legalize my Cannondale".

  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  19. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Simon Brooke opined the following...
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > Jon Senior ('[email protected]_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove')
    > wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >> I thought the UCI limit was 6.9kg (15.21 lbs)?
    > >
    > > It is. Hence Cannondales "Free My Cannondale"
    > > advertising campaign. The bike is the Six13 (IIRC) and
    > > is apparently "rather nice"!
    >
    > Which is code for absolutely sodding gorgeous.

    A bit under half the weight of my fixer when all extras have
    been stripped from it. Not to mention the apparent
    performance of the mixed materials. I wonder if EBC will be
    getting one in. I really fancy a test ride!

    Jon

  20. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke opined the following...
    >> in message <[email protected]>,
    >> Jon Senior ('[email protected]_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove')
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > [email protected] says...

    >> > It is. Hence Cannondales "Free My Cannondale"
    >> > advertising campaign. The bike is the Six13 (IIRC) and
    >> > is apparently "rather nice"!
    >>
    >> Which is code for absolutely sodding gorgeous.
    >
    > A bit under half the weight of my fixer when all extras
    > have been stripped from it. Not to mention the apparent
    > performance of the mixed materials. I wonder if EBC will
    > be getting one in. I really fancy a test ride!

    Their website says 'book now'. Sounds like they may be
    getting one in - where 'one' is the operative word. Come
    to think of it, it's almost exactly half the weight of my
    road bike.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;