Specialized Allez Comp Road Bike @ $550 Deal?

mbes

Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I've been biking for a while now but I really need an upgrade on my bike. I've been in the hunt for a Road-comp but I've been riding on a ancient Centurion Lemans RS so I really need some help determining if this is a good deal or not.
This is the Craigslist post:

I'm selling my Specialized Allez Comp Road Bike. It is a size 56cm. While it measures 52cm from bottom bracket to top of tube, it is a compact frame and is actually sized by Specialized as a 56cm bike. It is in excellent condition. It is full SHIMANO ULTEGRA (brakes, shifters, gears, derailleurs, crankset), which is an upgrade from 105 and Tiagra. Comes with Carbon Easton tires. Carbon fork, Carbon seat post, and a cable that displays what gear you're in (see pictures). Brand NEW seat, brand NEW bottom bracket and brand NEW chain. Bought a new bike and want to find this a good home. Asking $550 or best offer. Please no low ball offers. This bike is perfect and ready to ride. No pedals are included.

I'm wondering if this is a decent entry level bike for $550 or if I should continue looking.
The bike is Red/White Paint in looks to be in very good condition. He's dropped the price twice since i've checked from 750 --> 650 --> 550, so i'm not sure if it's a bad bike or he's just desperate to get rid of it and i'll get a steal on this.

I'm trying to grab a road-comp for $1,000 or less btw.
I'm 17 years old
Male
6ft-ish
31-ish inseam

Attachments

• 00p0p_jTlvwkXcIIn_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_jTlvwkXcIIn_600x450.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 16
FWIW. I reckon that the bike dates to about 2002 ...

Don't let THAT dissuade you ...

It's probably a great bike ...

The amount of wear-and-tear is really the key ...

The Octalink BB is still my favorite ...

Other than for optics, an English threaded BB shell is probably still better than any "press fit" BB option which is currently the trend ... you'll appreciate all the more the more you read-or-hear about creaking press fit bearings.

An Ultegra equipped bike (even way back when) would have been in the $1800-to-$2300 +/- category.

While not as trendy, some say that the Shimano shifters with the external deraileur cables coming off the shifters shift better than the shifters whose cables are hidden.

9-speeds?

No worries ...

Most people don't need a bike with an 10-or-11 Cog cassette.

Not that I am by any means the typical rider, but let me say that I am more than happy with only a 9-speed cassette (yes, I have some bikes configured with 10-speed cassettes).

Some people wouldn't pay $50 for a used bike ...

I reckon that IF the condition is good-to-very-good then anywhere from $450-to-the-asking-price is probably fair for both the seller & buyer.

If you buy it AND if you ever feel the need for new components, most will transfer to your Centurion (the brake calipers may be the exception due to the possible difference in the reach).

alfeng said:
FWIW. I reckon that the bike dates to about 2002 ...
+1...

I would not get that frame. I have a 2013 Allez with 10,000 km on it and I am already stressing about fatigue damage. (I already had the fork replaced with a warranty repair due to some cracks that started to appear where the blades of the fork get attached to the top of the fork).

Btw, you could ask the seller if he is selling the bike in parts. The seller will probably make even more money and you are gonna pick up just the components you want.

A new alu-frame is not as expensive or hard to find... For used you might get lucky with mid-range steel. (Not as thin-walled as high end steel so probably not too damaged if crashed, quite good fatigue damage strength.)

I like the bike, the size is just right for a short-legged 6-footer, and it appears to be in excellent shape for a 13 year-old bike. But it's 13 years old and $550 is still high. I've worked on a lot of these, mostly triples, and I only wish the shifters held up as well as the frames. That said, Ultegra 9-speed, especially with double chainrings, was a real workhorse--reliable and easy to adjust. Maybe that's because the guys who rode doubles spent less time falling on their shifters than the ones who rode triples.

The seller would not make more money by parting out the bike. These are 13 year-old components. The only buyers for this stuff are old guys replacing the stuff they've broken on their 13 year-old bikes.

OK, this is still more bike than a NOS Sora-equipped 2014 that's been marked down to $700. And he's put in a new saddle ($40-60), bottom bracket ($35) and chain ($30). See if he'll take five crisp $100 bills. Remind him that the shifters are 13 years old and the only replacements are Sora.

oldbobcat said:
OK, this is still more bike than a NOS Sora-equipped 2014 that's been marked down to $700. And he's put in a new saddle ($40-60), bottom bracket ($35) and chain ($30). See if he'll take five crisp $100 bills. Remind him that the shifters are 13 years old and the only replacements are Sora.
Well ...

I guess that I need to remind you/everyone that anyone with a 9-speed Shimano drivetrain whose shifters have reached the end of their useful life OR who are tired of dealing with "dwell" (which does not impact everyone) can replace their 9-speed Shimano shifters with a set of EITHER 10-speed OR 11-speed CAMPAGNOLO shifters!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:264330]​

oldbobcat said:
Couldn't leave it alone, eh, alf? ;)
Of course ...

You know, I wouldn't have to mention the unauthorized alternative to Shimano's shifters if you would ditch that SRAM stuff which is on your bike and become a disciple ...

And then, YOU could mention it in some of your answers!!! :)

alfeng said:
And then, YOU could mention it in some of your answers!!! :)
That's your job, alf. Heck, if the seller knew Campy shifters were a viable alternative, he'd probably be asking for $800.

Everybody who's listening in, don't take this as my endorsement of Campy shifters for Shimano derailleurs. I've only agreed to stop arguing with alf, and if you have any questions about making this work, alf is your answer man.