Specialized Allez Elite vs. Sport vs. Sequoia vs. Trek Pilot vs.

jacquisun

May 8, 2006
HELP!
I've done lots of internet research, read forum conversations (this and another)-and took the leap to going to a Local Bike Store today! Now I'm all the more confused.

Heard good things about Allez Elite, but then was told today it's not a comfortable bike, it's just fast and light! I want a light bike, but I don't want to be jarred and shocked by every rough road I may be on. I"m concerned the Sequoia may be too heavy, was told tire/wheel wieght is a huge factor in weight differences (as it applies to how you notice 4 ounces--I was told tires really make a huge difference)

I was shown female specific bikes--including trek 1500 & PIlot 1.2. They are going to look into the Vita (specialized) female bike for me as well.

I guess I'm looking for people who have or have had any of these--

My type of riding (expected anyway) is 1-3 hour rides, 20-50 miles perhaps, I live in the mountains of Western NC so positively want 27 speed/triple versions. Want to have a light bike, but also am concerned about vibration control because my hands tend to get shocked easily. I'm 5'4", 40 yrs. old, and 120lbs. Currently I'm riding a 1990 Bridgestone Steel Mt. Bike 21 speed (long before suspension) with medium width commuter type wheels. I just can't deal with the hills/mts. on it and am excited to move to a real road bike--but also on a budget, so I can't afford to make a bad choice!

Advice, experiences, other suggestions greatly desired!!

Let me tell you first that the descriptive comments given by your bike shop do not do justice to a bike. For one thing, on any bike, comfort is of prime importance, and proper fit is what makes a bike comfortable. Handling characteristics can vary from twitchy, hard to control at low speed to rock stable, taking effort to make a turn at speed, a bike easy to ride hands-off. The right saddle, handlebar wrap (such as cork) and cycling gloves are part of making cycling comfortable.

Everyone likes lite. A test ride will tell you if the handling is too skitish for you. A long ride will tell you if you are too stretched out in your fit (not properly fit in the first place) by neck and back pain. A long ride will tell you if your seat height is not right for you will get knee pain. Make sure you tell your bike shop guy that being properly fit is most important to you. Then you can choose just about any bike you want, based on handling characteristics.

Good luck in you choice. Bad fit can make you wish you never bought the bike, no matter what brand it is.

jacquisun said:
I"m concerned the Sequoia may be too heavy, was told tire/wheel wieght is a huge factor in weight differences (as it applies to how you notice 4 ounces--I was told tires really make a huge difference)
Tire/wheel weight is only doubly important for acceleration. That matters if you're trying to win a race, but not otherwise. Test ride all the bikes with the saddle position exactly the same (ideally to the mm) & the stem/handlebars adjusted for you. Pick the one that feels the best.

And -- unless you're an extremely serious athlete --- be sure to get a triple crankset. It'll save you from having to walk up steep hills!