Specialized Allez Sport Compact Vrs Allez Elite

bdempsey88

Jun 30, 2013
Hey guys i'm pretty new to this whole cycling thing so i'm looking for some advice. In comparison the allez sport compact and allez elite, which would be a better entry level triathlon bike ( after switching the bars ) ? How much will the price drop on the 2013 bikes when the 2014 models come out ? I've been in a big debate with myself over buying my first road/tri bike and could use some help!

Either of the Allez models would be good entry level road or tri bikes but I'd ride them as shipped in their road bar configuration. At most I'd add a set of clip on bars to the existing drop bars if you want to do most of your riding in the aero position.

By the time you completely swap out the front end, brakes and shifters on either of these bikes you would have been better off financially just buying an entry level tri bike already set up with TT extensions and a cowhorn basebar design. In addition to the economics, an actual tri/tt bike has a geometry designed to be ridden in the aero bar position with more weight over the front wheel and typically has a steeper seat tube angle which helps in achieving a good aero position for TTs and Triathlons. You can fake that last part with things like Fast Forward steep seatposts on a road frame but you'll be substantially changing the weight distribution of the road bike when you move that far forward and in most cases the handling will suck compared to a bike designed to be ridden steep and in the aero bars.

But yeah, the Allez (either one) would be a good bike that you could ride on, train for racing, and race on but personally I'd ride it mostly stock in a road configuration and just slap some clip on bars on it for Tri training and racing and perhaps the occasional time trial. There are definitely comparable tri bikes already set up with the front end you'd like if you want to go that route instead. I'd check out the Felt offerings, the Specialized Transition series, the Fuji and Focus Tri bikes and others in a similar price range.

Good luck,
-Dave