Specialized Allez Sport vs Elite? Can't decide.

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Barond55, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Barond55

Barond55 New Member

I am currently looking to get beginner level road bike. I have been mountain biking for a few years now in Colorado and have decided to get on the road. I seem to be sold on either the Specialized Allez Sport or Elite (both triple). The Elite is a little out of my budget, which is where the problem comes in. I like the sport, but I have heard they have problems with the wheels (even with people weighing 150 to 160 lbs. I weigh about 170), so I was going to upgrade to Bontrager Race which would put the sport at only $150 behind the elite ($1030 vs $1150). The elite is a great bike but a little to expensive. On top of riding in the mountains during the summer I will also use it to ride to school back in Texas. I am in law school at SMU in Dallas and don't have much time to train so I figured I would just ride to school. My questions are:

1) Are there really problems w/ the sport's wheels or is it just a few angry owners?
    2) If there aren't problems, should I just get the sport for $850, add the wheels making it $1030, or get the elite for $1150. And will I really notice all the differences as a newbie?
    3) If there are problems should I just fork over the $150 and get the 105 components?

-I am trying to make my decision in the next day or so. If you have any advice, I would really appreciate it. Also if you have suggestions to other bikes that would be great also.

Thanks,
    Matt

Tags:

2. shabba

shabba New Member

I have a Specialized, and haven't had any issues with my wheels whatsoever. Take that for what it's worth.

On the type of bike, I would advise to purchase the best you can afford. You really will notice the difference, especially over time, and definitely on the hills.

I would upgrade to at least 105 components. I like Shimano, but their Sora and Tiagra components aren't that great.

Hope this helps.

3. chodadog

chodadog New Member

I just picked up an Allez Elite (double) last weekend and i'm very happy with it. I'm a big guy (6'3) and i'm carrying a fair bit of extra weight (i'm in the region of 250 pounds!) and it seems to be handling it without a problem. My brother rides an Allez Sport which is a couple of years old, and he's about 88kg at the moment (about 190 lbs). He hasn't had any problems with the wheels.

4. patronus

patronus New Member

I just bought a 2006 Allez Comp. It's an awesome bike! You can't go wrong with Specialized. I'm sure the complaints you heard were from a few very vocal owners.

5. mladenrox

mladenrox New Member

Hey mate,
    Me and my friend were looking at bikes for the last month or so and I remember he came across the Elite. It was a great bike and for a fair price as well. I just cant remember if it had 105 components or tiagra? I'm pretty sure the Sport has tiagra so if its a 100 or so dollars thats stopping you making the decision I'd suggest you go for the 105components... in other words the Elite. Even if you are only a begginer bike the 105's will do you great. They are much more reliable and will leave you at peace of mind knowing that the components are good. Good luck with the decision.

Mladen

6. mladenrox

mladenrox New Member

Hey mate,
    Me and my friend were looking at bikes for the last month or so and I remember he came across the Elite. It was a great bike and for a fair price as well. I just cant remember if it had 105 components or tiagra? I'm pretty sure the Sport has tiagra so if its a 100 or so dollars thats stopping you making the decision I'd suggest you go for the 105components... in other words the Elite. Even if you are only a begginer bike the 105's will do you great. They are much more reliable and will leave you at peace of mind knowing that the components are good. Good luck with the decision.

Mladen

7. OrangePatriot

OrangePatriot New Member

I bought an Allez Sport last year to avoid commuting on a heavy MTB (see login name). I weigh 155 on a good day, and I ride year-round on pot-hole infested Queens, NYC streets. I've only had two mechanicals in 4000 miles. Both were broken rear wheel spokes.

YMMV

Traff