Specialized Armadillo at a low price??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iggy07450

Im a nyc rider and I love these things, 1 yr without a flat!! But there kinda expensive, any ideas
or solutions???? Thanks in advance, Ed

iggy07450 wrote:
> Im a nyc rider and I love these things, 1 yr without a flat!! But there kinda expensive, any ideas
> or solutions????

You don't say what size.

Specialized Nimbus EX* is the same thing as some "Armadillo" models except is cheaper and has the
special Armadillo puncture resistance under the main tread only instead of including the sidewalls
as well. How many sidewall punctures do you get? :)

Price for "Turbo Armadillo" is GBP 13.99 from the this UK supplier (assuming they are prepared to
export?). www.cyclestore.co.uk/productviewer.asp?ID=2&type=tyres That includes 17.5% Value Added Tax
which you don't have to pay if importing from the US. (Multiply price by 0.851 to exclude).

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Specialized Nimbus EX* is the same thing as some "Armadillo" models except is cheaper and has the
> special Armadillo puncture resistance under the main tread only instead of including the sidewalls
> as well. How many sidewall punctures do you get? :)

Specialized's non-Armadillo tires have the Flak Jacket system which is an aramid belt under the
tread. It is mostly beneficial in reducing cuts but not as effective against punctures. The
Armadillo casing is a different system, and it is effective against both cuts and punctures.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

"Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > Specialized Nimbus EX* is the same thing as some "Armadillo" models
except
> > is cheaper and has the special Armadillo puncture resistance under the main tread only instead
> > of including the sidewalls as well. How many sidewall punctures do you get? :)
>
> Specialized's non-Armadillo tires have the Flak Jacket system which is an aramid belt under the
> tread. It is mostly beneficial in reducing cuts but not as effective against punctures. The
> Armadillo casing is a different system, and it is effective against both cuts and punctures.

While I understand that Armadillo protects the sidewalls and that Flak Jacket doesn't, what is the
difference in the two system's protection under the tread? Don't they both have similar aramid
(kevlar) belts?

RichC

Todd Kuzma wrote:
> Specialized's non-Armadillo tires have the Flak Jacket system which is an aramid belt under the
> tread. It is mostly beneficial in reducing cuts but not as effective against punctures. The
> Armadillo casing is a different system, and it is effective against both cuts and punctures.

What is the Flakjacket system exactly?

Specialized say at the bottom of their Armadillo information: "For similar flat protection at a
lighter weight check out our Flakjacket" - but they don't (now) provide detail on it. It could be
lighter simply because there is isn't any at the sidewalls.

I remember finding some more detailed info on the two systems before when comparing Nimbus EX to
Nimbus Armadillo and couldn't find any differences apart from the sidewalls. The Amadillo layers
seemed to have the same specification as Flakjacket's.

~PB

iggy-<< Im a nyc rider and I love these things, 1 yr without a flat!! But there kinda expensive, any
ideas or solutions???? >><BR><BR>

"somethin' for nuthin, and chicks for free"-Dire Straights

'Ya gotta pay to play' and 'no such thing as a free lunch'

If ya like the tire, buy another one..What is the $$ per day or mile of riding??

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Originally posted by Qui Si Parla Ca
iggy-<< Im a nyc rider and I love these things, 1 yr without a flat!! But there kinda expensive, any
ideas or solutions???? >><BR><BR>
"somethin' for nuthin, and chicks for free"-Dire Straights

'Ya gotta pay to play' and 'no such thing as a free lunch'

If ya like the tire, buy another one..What is the $$ per day or mile of riding??

============================

I've used the Nimbus EX (700x35C) FlakJacket for quite a few years now, and never let me down, excpet for two nights ago riding back home in the darkness (very timely!), a 1 1/2 nail went right thru it, then again that nail would've gone thru anything.
I just ordered the Armadillos, for the first time, on nthe 28C version, paid 29.98 each plus 2nds day delivery. I should get them today.
I'll be posting the difference between the two. I have also a Gatorskin 25C, but doesn't look as tough as the Armadillo pics on their website.
I'll keep you posted with how they look and ride.
Corsaire

Rich Clark wrote:

> While I understand that Armadillo protects the sidewalls and that Flak Jacket doesn't, what is the
> difference in the two system's protection under the tread? Don't they both have similar aramid
> (kevlar) belts?

My understanding is that the Flak Jacket is an aramid belt under the tread. Like all similar belts,
it provides good protection against cuts, but punctures can pierce the weave of the aramid fabric.
The Armadillo system is part of the casing and uses a unique technique to seal the holes in the
aramid weave. The downsides to the Armdaillo casing are cost, weight, and stiff sidewalls.
Specialized reports that they have updated the Armadillo casing for 2004 to provide a more
compliant ride.

Personally, I have found the Flak Jacket tires to be quite flat resistant, and the only flats that
I've had have been punctures from thorns. I've never had, or seen, a puncture or cut in an
Armadillo tire.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

Originally posted by Todd Kuzma
Rich Clark wrote:

> While I understand that Armadillo protects the sidewalls and that Flak Jacket doesn't, what is the
> difference in the two system's protection under the tread? Don't they both have similar aramid
> (kevlar) belts?

==================================

Just received my newly ordered 700x28C Nimbus Armadillos
I expected a small box with folded tires in there, instead came a full tire size box, big!

As I opened it I understood why, they look tough and kind of stiff, I tried to fold them put but didn't quite succeed. They don't feel as heavy as feared by some, at least I don't care anyway since I'll be using these just for commuting, so flat reliability is high in my list.

I'll get to test them this weekend.....
Corsaire :)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:35:33 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

>iggy07450 wrote:
>> Im a nyc rider and I love these things, 1 yr without a flat!! But there kinda expensive, any
>> ideas or solutions????

I just get cheap tires I like and put Mr Tuffys in them for flat protection. About a year ago I got
a bunch of Specialized non-Armadillos and use them with Mr. Tuffys because I like the tread for
dry/summer weather.

>How many sidewall punctures do you get? :)

Around 1999-2000 the ones with pink sidewalls would always crack down near the rims. I heard many
people have the same experience. The sidewalls were just too thick and rigid and then they would
crack near the rim and bead. Flat protection was good, but in my experience not quite as good as Mr
Tuffys (seated well in the tire).

Around 1999-2000 the ones with pink sidewalls would always crack down near the rims. I heard many
people have the same experience. The sidewalls were just too thick and rigid and then they would
crack near the rim and bead. Flat protection was good, but in my experience not quite as good as Mr
Tuffys (seated well in the tire). [/B][/QUOTE]

I went this morning for a 26 mile ride on my newly acquired Nimbus Armadillo 700x28C stated above.
It rolled smooth on flawless pavement, although got a bit rough on less than perfect parts of the road (my bike is a Chromoly hybrid), just like the name states Nimbus, it felt nimble feeling almost any road roughness; by mile 16 I bumped into a group of road bikers, I trailed behind them for two miles until we got to a steep hill, I got on my toes and passed three of them, couldn't beat the faster guys, my gears didn't live up to the challenge either, like I said not a road bike, can't wait to get me one, but that's another story.
I have perused and examined these tires closely, inflated and deflated, and seems like Specialized have fixed the stiff wall problems, the red color walls doen't feel stiff, but only time will tell, but so far so good. I 'll get me the 25C version when they come out.
Corsaire ;)

Originally posted by Corsaire
Tuffys (seated well in the tire).

I went this morning for a 26 mile ride on my newly acquired Nimbus Armadillo 700x28C stated above.
It rolled smooth on flawless pavement, although got a bit rough on less than perfect parts of the road (my bike is a Chromoly hybrid), just like the name states Nimbus, it felt nimble feeling almost any road roughness; by mile 16 I bumped into a group of road bikers, I trailed behind them for two miles until we got to a steep hill, I got on my toes and passed three of them, couldn't beat the faster guys, my gears didn't live up to the challenge either, like I said not a road bike, can't wait to get me one, but that's another story.
I have perused and examined these tires closely, inflated and deflated, and seems like Specialized have fixed the stiff wall problems, the red color walls doen't feel stiff, but only time will tell, but so far so good. I 'll get me the 25C version when they come out.
Corsaire ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

>
> "somethin' for nuthin, and chicks for free"-Dire Straights
>
> 'Ya gotta pay to play' and 'no such thing as a free lunch'
>
> If ya like the tire, buy another one..What is the $$ per day or mile of riding??
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

>"somethin' for nuthin, and chicks for free"-Dire Straights <

"Money for nothin' and your chicks for free" - Dire Straits

corsaire-<< I have also a Gatorskin 25C, but doesn't look as tough >><BR><BR>

On my second season with these on my fixie(same tires) w/o problem or flats...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.