Specialized ARMADILLO tires

Corsaire

Oct 16, 2003
Does anyone one HOW these tires ride?

Are they smooth rolling, with low rolling resistance?

I'm looking at the Armadillo All Condition 700x28C
but any feedback will be appreciated

Corsaire

Originally posted by Corsaire

Corsaire
They are dam porky.

Corsaire

Specialized Armadillo tires are tough, not smooth.
Armadillo All Condition are motorcycle-inspired design raised center crown pro-file for minimal straight-line contact (more speed)
Proprietary cornering shoulder for maximal contact (more traction) in turns
New Generation Armadillo Technology for improves flat protection 8% and cut resistance by 20% over original Armadillo technology
Low rolling resistance, hard center compound (68 Shore A durometer) for speed and durability.
If you like the ride they should last a long time
We used the old version on our tandem to prevent flats and cut induced blowouts. A cut at 40 MPH on the front tire would be a disaster.
The Kevlar makes them tough, but it goes from bead to bead and makes them ride a little harder. This new version has the raised hard center compound to make them have realitively low rolling resistance. I road them on a test bicycle and don't have any long term, close to home experience. I could not find them here to purchase and test further.
Pavement variability seems to make more difference to my perception of rolling resistance than the range of tires I have used.
I think they may be worth it if your routes include gravel, broken pavement, other sharp materials that could cut through the tire.
They are a compromise in smoothness for toughness.

I love mine. Haven't flatted yet. Sure they are heavier than others out there but I don't care. I find them a little less supple than others but I deal with a lot of glass on the roads so it's worth it.

Tim

Corsaire

I currently use Ruffy Tuffy 700cx27 tires that I purchased from Rivendell. They are smooth rolling and very puncture resistant but expensive. I like them alot. Here in New Mexico we have to deal with goat head thorns that are everywhere and I have not had a flat though I am using Slimed tubes.

I've had my Armadillo's for about three months now and have come to like them very much. I didn't like them at first because they are heavier and slower than the continentals that I had been riding on. That being said, I've gone over a thousand miles on them without a flat, which has been a great relief. They seemed very hard at first, but over time seem to be softening up a little with a bit more smooth ride.

Mike

I changed from Bontrager Hard Case tires, my local bike shop no longer carries them, to the Armadillo tires; they have just about beaten me to a pulp! Mine have less than 100 miles on them, did a charity ride this past Saturday; my bike sounds like it's just about been shaken to pieces!
To be honest, much of the route was a rough road, but I've made this ride the past two years and this year was much, much worse. I recently bought a new set of wheels, they were so noisey ... I hope it's the tires!
I ordered a pair of Continental Ultra Gator tires yesterday, I'm hoping this helps.

Keep those harder/more puncture resistant tyres for training only and get some faster/lighter/nicer riding tyres for events.
BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

depending on what your encountering while riding depends on what level of protection you need, conti gatorskins are ok for normal road conditions, but introduce goatheads and they flat like crazy, i know because i use to live in the desert areas of so california where these nasty thorns flourished. the only tire on the market back then that worked against these guys were the specialized all condition.

slime tubes do not work in road tire pressure exceeding 65psi, the psi is too great and will just blow out of even a tiny pin ***** flatting your tire, then when you go to air up as soon as you exceed 65psi it goes flat. also slime will gum up presta valves, and when that junk attempts to seal a leak the green slime stains your rim tape.

mr tuffy works but you have to sand the overlapping edge that will contact the tube so the edge doesn't cut the tube and then you have to use a thicker tube to prevent that. i did have goatheads penetrate those however when i tried those with the conti gatorskins. once i went to the armadillo i no longer needed a mr tuffy and could use a ultralight tube.