specialized comp vs. cannondale R1000 for racing and some tri's

aleeharmon

Oct 30, 2003
I have been looking at bikes on the Internet and have decided to go ahead and purchase one. I would like to have a good idea of what I am looking at when I go into the shop. From extensive research I have narrowed it down to two bikes the Specialized comp double and the Cdale r1000. I have heard great things about both of them. I am looking at a bike that would be good for a fair amount of crit racing, road racing, large climbs and a tri every once and a while. I have heard that the brakes on the Cdale suck. But I have also heard that the wheels on the comp. aren’t the best. I know that this is a popular combination of bikes to be looking at and am hoping somebody will be able to help me.

Thanks

Originally posted by aleeharmon
I have been looking at bikes on the Internet and have decided to go ahead and purchase one. I would like to have a good idea of what I am looking at when I go into the shop. From extensive research I have narrowed it down to two bikes the Specialized comp double and the Cdale r1000. I have heard great things about both of them. I am looking at a bike that would be good for a fair amount of crit racing, road racing, large climbs and a tri every once and a while. I have heard that the brakes on the Cdale suck. But I have also heard that the wheels on the comp. aren’t the best. I know that this is a popular combination of bikes to be looking at and am hoping somebody will be able to help me.

Thanks
I'm having the same dilema right now, any help would be apreciated

Originally posted by aleeharmon

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking; what kind of budget are you looking at/ whats your limit?

Going on those two I'd go for the 'dale but get the shop to swap the brakes out to something reliable. If your budget allows you I'd go for something along the lines of the giant composite 2 which has the same group (better brakes) and a lighter frame, although the shimano wheels are a bit shonky.

Orbea Marmolada might be another good option as for the same price as the 'dale you'll get a much better wheelset ( I think they come with campy eurus) and a campag group set.

Remember that at this time of the year the shops will be about to stocktake and will want to clear out what they've got, so do your research pick out the bad points in the bikes and see if you can lower the price a bit.

Hope that helped and good luck

Originally posted by rayner
If you don't mind me asking; what kind of budget are you looking at/ whats your limit?

Going on those two I'd go for the 'dale but get the shop to swap the brakes out to something reliable. If your budget allows you I'd go for something along the lines of the giant composite 2 which has the same group (better brakes) and a lighter frame, although the shimano wheels are a bit shonky.

Orbea Marmolada might be another good option as for the same price as the 'dale you'll get a much better wheelset ( I think they come with campy eurus) and a campag group set.

Remember that at this time of the year the shops will be about to stocktake and will want to clear out what they've got, so do your research pick out the bad points in the bikes and see if you can lower the price a bit.

Hope that helped and good luck

I am thinking about a budget around 1600 I am get at least 10% off on the comp and 15% off on the cdale.